Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Right, and yeah, many years of competitive tennis and (probably fortunately) fewer years of baseball I assume are to blame (although I believe my non-dominant shoulder is also a little messed up, but since I don't throw/serve with it it doesn't ever really manifest), but the word arthritis never came up (at least not that I remember, and I think I would). I've considered many times going back and seeing about another surgery, but given how rarely I throw these days it seems hard to justify--although not being able to do that simple thing that I was always able to do is frustrating. And since I can still serve in tennis at nearly 100% and all everyday activities are unaffected...well, I just don't know if it even makes sense to go back to the ortho.

SLAP tear, yeah, could be the most common--but I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so not certain. FWIW that's what I had along with whatever the rotator cuff tear was (is).

Hope these surgeries work out for you guys, I'm just not sure about failure rates and what really determines whether or not the surgeries are successful. Like I said, my doc seemed very happy with the repairs he'd made but my shoulder is functionally exactly the same as it was pre-surgery. Never got better at all.
    SLAP involves the biceps tendon not really anterior labrum, more superior labrum. SLAP, superior labrum anterior/ posterior to biceps.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'm not a big fan of opiates but realize I will have to do at least a few days if I get surgery. Does CBD work for this kind of pain at all? I am weird and have steered clear of all CBD shit since I quit smoking weed 11 years ago and there really is no regulation still on which CBD things may or may not have THC in them even in small amounts....
    For me topical and oral CBD didn't help with the pain, but it did take some of the anxiety away. I'm sure you're going to have the same issues, being a highly active physical person and going from 100 to 0 really fucked my world up.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yeah I have no idea the difference between SLAP and "anterior labrum". Anything you see online only mentions SLAP or Bankart.

I'm not a big fan of opiates but realize I will have to do at least a few days if I get surgery. Does CBD work for this kind of pain at all? I am weird and have steered clear of all CBD shit since I quit smoking weed 11 years ago and there really is no regulation still on which CBD things may or may not have THC in them even in small amounts....
    You can get away with no opiates if you can tolerate the pain with NSAIDs and Robaxin in my experience with a fx glenoid, fx clavicle and fx scapular body. Three separate injuries. I’m not a fan of opiates, they don’t take away the pain, you just don’t care.

I'm mentally OK right now. Staying busy with work and good timing I have a new lady friend which will more than likely be super helpful with post surgery stuff.

Advil/tylenol etc do absolutely nothing for this pain. Like doesn't even knock it down 1%.

I'm mentally OK right now. Staying busy with work and good timing I have a new lady friend which will more than likely be super helpful with post surgery stuff.

Advil/tylenol etc do absolutely nothing for this pain. Like doesn't even knock it down 1%.
    The nurse I saw at my doc's office told me something that should have been obvious but hadn't occurred to me. Obviously all of the big 3 painkillers have some their own toxicities, and she suggested timing my dosages so that their effective times were staggered instead of overlapped. Sounds like with the amount of pain you're in, it'll probably do shit all, but......

Also, as my wife can attest, I'm solar powered. Don't end up in a pile of your own pain pity on the couch. I ended up doing a lot of hiking right out my back door and explored all those places I never would have otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You can get away with no opiates if you can tolerate the pain with NSAIDs and Robaxin in my experience with a fx glenoid, fx clavicle and fx scapular body. Three separate injuries. I’m not a fan of opiates, they don’t take away the pain, you just don’t care.

I agree with this based on having had a few surgeries now for broken clavicles. Last time I used opioids just the day of and day following the surgery. After that is was Tylenol and Advil through the day to control pain, which really came down by 48 hours after surgery anyway, and then took opioids before bed to help get a better rest (along with over the counter NyQuil sleeping pills) for maybe a week.

Opioids really make you feel like shit (though I guess some people like the feeling), don’t want to be like that during my waking hours.

Edit: Maybe stalk Old Goat in another thread or PM him for advice? He’s a retired surgeon isn’t he?
    Last edited by J. Barron DeJong; 04-25-2022 at 05:24 PM.

So sorry you have to go through this pain. In an unrelated injury/post surgery, I got off the opiates as fast as I could and went right to edibles. They majorly helped with the transition, though I was still in moderate pain.

I'm a firm believer in CBD, it totally works for me in reducing inflammation but it's not a cure-all for excessive pain IMO, but it works different for everybody. It definitely helps with the anxiety and positive mindset however, as well as sleep. To avoid the thc, you'll want an isolate tincture, avoid full-spectrum. A buddy of mine runs this company out of Steamboat and I use it regularly, as well as his gold buckle 4000mg rub on the reg. Good shit, not cheap, but legit as it gets. All third-party tested to be free of thc.
    https://lostrangecbd.com/product/tin...solate-2000mg/

Hope tomorrow opens another door to being one step closer to recovery for you. Healing vibes!! ++

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    So sorry you have to go through this pain. In an unrelated injury/post surgery, I got off the opiates as fast as I could and went right to edibles. They majorly helped with the transition, though I was still in moderate pain.

I'm a firm believer in CBD, it totally works for me in reducing inflammation but it's not a cure-all for excessive pain IMO, but it works different for everybody. It definitely helps with the anxiety and positive mindset however, as well as sleep. To avoid the thc, you'll want an isolate tincture, avoid full-spectrum. A buddy of mine runs this company out of Steamboat and I use it regularly, as well as his gold buckle 4000mg rub on the reg. Good shit, not cheap, but legit as it gets. All third-party tested to be free of thc.
    https://lostrangecbd.com/product/tin...solate-2000mg/

Hope tomorrow opens another door to being one step closer to recovery for you. Healing vibes!! ++
    Awesome and thank you!

here is my five cents of bullshit

dr's have 24 hrs to read any tests and provide you the results

pain pills oxy you name it are awesome I love them you should to the idea that everyone is going to get hooked on them by taking a week or two's worth of pills is absurd I'll send anyone my address you can mail me your left over pills fentynal drip to the neck is the money ask for it these days you have to beg doctors for pills its comical

waiting two weeks for an mri or longer is stupid unless the it's the dr's office that is that backed up on providing the service

insurance companies can chortle my you know what let me show you how to talk to them sometime as others have said advocate for yourself medical care is usually awesome insurance companies are the death squads abuse those people yell at them tell them they are fuck ups it works work your way up the ladder until your talking to someone who actually hits enter on a computer and makes a decision you should have had the mri as soon as the swelling was under control a request should have went in and you should have been approved within 24 hrs never trust an insurance company spend hours on the phone fisting them it's the only way to get things to move along

and yeah walk walk and walk

ymmv but for ACL surgery the opiates gave me hiccups for most of 6 days straight
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

WRG, your experience at Bridger Ortho sounds pretty typical to me. Alpine’s timeline on MRI’s, readings and surgeries has been pretty good, but having a PT or friends in healthcare advocate for you can be really helpful. My last 2 surgeries at Alpine have been, mri, read, cut in 2 weeks. Fast Fred’s advice for lighting up your fuck face insurance provider is very sound. That’s always been the hold up in my experience. Good luck, man!!

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    WRG, your experience at Bridger Ortho sounds pretty typical to me. Alpine’s timeline on MRI’s, readings and surgeries has been pretty good, but having a PT or friends in healthcare advocate for you can be really helpful. My last 2 surgeries at Alpine have been, mri, read, cut in 2 weeks. Fast Fred’s advice for lighting up your fuck face insurance provider is very sound. That’s always been the hold up in my experience. Good luck, man!!

Insurance has been pretty fast. MRI scheduling was the hold up. Even with 100% flexibility on my end. They only do Anthrogram MRI two days a week. I tried to light a fire under Bridger about getting results ASAP. I had my MRI two hours ago. I'm ready to get this ball rolling.

Finally got results. Torn anterior labrum with a piece of bone broken off. Surgery 100%. Need CT scan. Surgery may need to be invasive and not just arthroscopic. Fuck me. No wonder this hurts so bad.

Shit man. At least you know the path forward. Good luck!

Bummer. I’m going in for repair of supraspinatus, subscapularis and bicep tendon on Tuesday. Whole house set for at least a week of recliner time. PT says 90 percent range of motion is probably best case scenario, but my Dad is a retired PT and thinks I can get back to 100%.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Vibes boys. Hoping PT treats you well.
    Injuries really suck.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post

pain pills oxy you name it are awesome I love them you should to the idea that everyone is going to get hooked on them by taking a week or two's worth of pills is absurd I'll send anyone my address you can mail me your left over pills fentynal drip to the neck is the money ask for it these days you have to beg doctors for pills its comical
    Preach.

Finally got results. Torn anterior labrum with a piece of bone broken off. Surgery 100%. Need CT scan. Surgery may need to be invasive and not just arthroscopic. Fuck me. No wonder this hurts so bad.
    Ugh, good luck.

PM inbound

Its certainly a painful surgery but a full recovery is very obtainable. I had a full tear repaired ~15 years ago. As a plus they typically also clear the arthritus out of the shoulder joint. Back then the site was irrigated with lidocain which sort of helped. As much as opiates suck, they work. Find someone you trust to dole out the meds. Prob can Zwift on a spin bike with shoulder in a sling.

edit: Still to exterior and interior rotation exercises w/cables as part of shoulder day at gym.

You got this.

Been close to 20 years since I tore my super spinnatus & labrum in my right shoulder & I'm RH.
    Had surgical repair and it was a slow recovery, like way more than a year before i could lift stuff above my head even if it wasn't that heavy.
    Used to play a lot of softball and had a pretty good arm and it's really never been the same.
    Several years later I took a tumble and slide on some windboard while skiing in AK and was diagnosed with a SLAP tear in my biceps tendon. I was gonna just work to strengthen but as I'd met my deductable for the year, opted to have it repaired just before Christmas as it cost pretty much nothing.
    Pretty quick recovery from that one.
    A few years later I was renting an ARPWave unit to strengthen my deteriorating back & hips and while I had mixed results with that, I used it some on my shoulder and holy shit, I got nearly all the zip back in my throwing arm. I need some more of that!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Got out of surgery a few hours ago. Man before that nerve block kicked in, I was in more pain than I’ve ever felt. Good luck wrg. Now on to crushing recovery even though I know it’s going to be really slow.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Got out of surgery a few hours ago. Man before that nerve block kicked in, I was in more pain than I’ve ever felt. Good luck wrg. Now on to crushing recovery even though I know it may take awhile, I got this.
    Little better, you’re right, you do. Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Got out of surgery a few hours ago. Man before that nerve block kicked in, I was in more pain than I’ve ever felt. Good luck wrg. Now on to crushing recovery even though I know it’s going to be really slow.
    Damn. Good luck with the recovery. That sounds gnarly.

So you just can't make this stuff up. Lady friend I've been seeing for only about a month called me last night from the trailhead. She wrecked her bike and hurt her shoulder. I came and got her and convinced her she probably should get an xray. They see a small fracture in there and she is scheduled with the same shoulder doc I have been seeing. Both of us now in slings. Wtf.

Well that sounds "fun". Sounds like the necr few months are going to be a battle Good luck WRG.