Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Kids bike got stolen, found it for sale online..

My nephews bike was stolen from his school. His mom has found it hours later listed on kijiji and FB marketplace. Can't obv. confirm it's his bike until I check the serial number but pretty sure it's it.

Thinking of creating a burner kijiji account (craigslist for Canadians) and retrieving it.

Plan is to act interested, arrive to inspect and check the serial number, and if it's a match take it back. Not looking for conflict, but with a receipt showing the serial number, as well as a non conforming brake pad (just replaced one side of his rear brakes, slightly different shape than original, so another easy indicator) but I'm thinking if I size dude up and if I'm am confident I'm taking it back.

Any other precautionary things I should be thinking of? If dude is drugged out or scary looking I'll likely chicken out but otherwise..

What do you guys think?

Go with the nephew.

(More tongue in cheek, but would likely neutralize the dude, especially if he is Canadian
    Seriously, though, go with a crew.
    Last edited by rideit; 04-12-2022 at 10:56 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Take the kid and have him take it for a test ride around the corner. Tell the seller you have to get your checkbook in the truck, drive off, pick up the kid and drive home.

I like this, very passive aggressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Take the kid and have him take it for a test ride around the corner. Tell the seller you have to get your checkbook in the truck, drive off, pick up the kid and drive home.
    I might go this route but I'd get a cop to be stationed around the corner to keep both you and the kid safe, as well as to bust the thief.
    Or he could go with ya plain clothed...

Bring a bat.

Or bear spray.

For shits and giggles, let’s say the person is mentally screwed up and has a weapon?

All for justice but protect yourself and for dog sakes do NOT take a child into this. Cmon people.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Did this twice in college. Bring a decent sized friend. Be calm and friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Fuck that. Bring an angry looking friend and it won't matter if you are on crutches looking for your cat Biscuit.

Edit: For a bit of context and a chance to link my favorite thread on the TRG here you go. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...the-Year-Award
    Last edited by John_B; 04-12-2022 at 08:31 PM.

Great replies so far and all are appreciated. Agreed kid rides around the corner and I pick up is likely safe but I don't think I'm going to get the sign off on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I might go this route but I'd get a cop to be stationed around the corner to keep both you and the kid safe, as well as to bust the thief.
    Or he could go with ya plain clothed...
    Unfortunately in this hood cops won't show up for similar $1000+ phone recoveries, they won't even respond to this type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Did this twice in college. Bring a decent sized friend. Be calm and friendly.

I am the decent sized friend lol.

do what ya gotta do.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    For shits and giggles, let’s say the person is mentally screwed up and has a weapon?

All for justice but protect yourself and for dog sakes do NOT take a child into this. Cmon people.
    I hope you saw that I was kidding.

File a police report about the theft. Bring a u-lock. If you have a chance to take a test ride without leaving collateral, ride over to a pole and lock it. Tell him it’s your bike and you’re ready to call the cops.

Ain’t nobody gonna take a check for a Craigslist bike, so don’t say anything about grabbing a checkbook. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I hope you saw that I was kidding.
    Woosh
    My bad
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Have had zero luck getting the cops involved in stuff like this. You’d think they would love to solve a slam dunk crime, but cops are useless in general and especially in these situations.

Bring backup, bring a receipt if necessary to make you feel better, but just get it in your hands and walk off.

I’ve helped recover a couple of bikes, and while the thief will complain they know it’s better to let it go and live to thieve another day.

Get photo of bike thief and post on burner account
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Have had zero luck getting the cops involved in stuff like this. You’d think they would love to solve a slam dunk crime, but cops are useless in general and especially in these situations.

Bring backup, bring a receipt if necessary to make you feel better, but just get it in your hands and walk off.

I’ve helped recover a couple of bikes, and while the thief will complain they know it’s better to let it go and live to thieve another day.
    This. You don’t need an elaborate ploy, just take what’s yours and act like that’s the way it should be. It’s remarkable how easy things go if you just express a little confidence. You aren’t the police and you aren’t there to mete out justice.

I guess it’s up to you to decide what’s worth it if it comes to that, but in my mind hurting somebody or getting hurt isn’t worth it. Give or receive a concussion for a bike? Risk a knee injury? Nah. That’s not me being a pacifist…just a pragmatic analysis of risk/reward. It’s different for different people, though.
    focus.

Years ago my wife had a commuter bike get stolen along with our neighbors bikes sometime during mud season. We had planned to sell the bike cheap or donate it, but it wasn't a priority so we counted it as a loss and moved on. A month later I came across it while browsing craigslist. It was my little bro's first mtb as a teen before my wife used it as a commuter and it still had recognizable stickers and components. Once I saw it posted for sale I wanted it back on principle alone.

I contacted the seller to say I was interested in it, then went and filed a report with the PD the next day I was off. They mentioned setting up a sting op which sounded cooler than it probably would have been. I sensed PD was going to be useless so I decided to go vigilante. I figured out exactly where this dude took his photos of this bike, and others he was selling on craigslist based on the landscaping. That night we went on a walk after dinner so I could show my wife the spot where this guy was taking his pics of bikes. Sure enough, as we came around the corner there was a guy with a camera, taking photos of another bike. Wasn't planning for a confrontation just then (I was was trying to wind down for the night and had already smoked a bowl and had a beer) so we kept cool and walked past, then regrouped on the other side of the building. Went back to him and said "Hey bro, my bike got stolen and looks like your selling it on craigslist". He asked which bike it was, and claimed that he found it next to a dumpster with a bunch of other bikes...This sounded plausible as our maintenance/groundskeepers were scumbags and I wouldn't put it past them to do that. He tells us he'll be right back with it, and runs off around the corner, and he leaves the bike he was photographing with us. So my wife and I are like "maybe he'll be back?"

He comes right back with the bike, shows us how he has fixed it all up and gives it back to us without any hassle. I wanted to believe his story too as he seemed nice enough, but who knows. As my wife and I are walking away she says "should we have told him that you gave the police his craigslist postings?" We laughed about that. Our bike was stolen, he was trying to sell it, and he said he found it with other bikes. If they contacted him that was something he'd just have to deal with.

I did tell the PD I got my bike back on my own. I doubt if the PD ever followed up with the guy who was trying to sell it.

The next week I dropped the bike off for donation at the local boys & girls club. Bonus was at the end of that summer we saw a kid riding the bike during one of their programs.

My suggestion for a cop was mostly to keep the kid safe.

Otherwise they're generally useless to me.

My first thought was def to have a coupla big dudes for backup if needed, and go take it from the thief; and maybe include a thumping if any resistance.
    Crossing that line for a bike though, is a pretty big step for most folks.

Park your car two blocks away, ask for a test ride, and just keep pedaling and never come back.

There's a lot of bikes in that make and model...not even knowing which one it is. I would not assume it's the stolen one. Most bike thieves are not this dumb, but some are I suppose.

My kids vintage '91 Gary Fisher was stolen and he saw one for sale a couple weeks later. Thought for sure it was his, but it wasn't.

the only advice i have is whatever you do, be sure to wear a go-pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Park your car two blocks away, ask for a test ride, and just keep pedaling and never come back.
    This is ultimately what I had planned.

Re Violence - no, not an option over a $300 bike.

Re the cops - I live in Peel Region, Ontario Canada. Our police force is corrupt and useless. If anyone recalls this thread:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...moked+by+a+car

where an out of control driver crashed through my fence and bounced off a tree. The driver fled, leaving his ID in the vehicle. There were eye witnesses that had a good description - cops couldn't place him at the scene, no charges, not even a gd traffic ticket.

Another anecdote - two of our cars were broken into and I had very clear images of the two individuals from security cameras. Weeks later I saw they were arrested for breaking into cars a couple towns over from a local newspaper. Obvious match - noticed them right away. Forwarded the info to Peel Police and again, they didn't do anything.

And as said, every week or so I see people online complaining about having an expensive phone stolen - they find it for sale online, contact police for help, and they do nothing.

They are simply not a viable option here.

Jackstraw - reason I believe the bikes a likely match - ad was posted hours after the theft, kijiji shows it's literally a couple of streets away from the school. Also in the background of one of the pics you can see a yard littered with bikes and parts..

I do like the idea of filing a police report and showing up with that but alas:

Ad is gone. I created a burner kijiji account and contacted them last night. Checked for a reply this am and the ads are down. Guess it sold already.

Shaking with adrenaline. Success. Sister decided to call them anyways and they still had it available. Just went over and got it back. Tweaker couple. Sad really, but fuck bike thieves. Anyone whose ever had a bike snatched, share the glory of this small victory.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220413_143604.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	413008