Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

School me on Women's powder skis

My wife may be looking for something to complement her well traveled 100 underfoot Atomics Century for inbound powder days. I know next to nothing about women's powder skis . She will ski most agressive terrain , steepness is fine , but avoids really consequential lines and air and generally has a more mellow speed, def not a charger. Any tips to start looking in the right direction?

hard to give recommendations without knowing her heigth/weight, but it sounds like any wider more pow specific ski that males like will be a good starting point (duh I know), if perhaps in a shorter lenght.

So perhaps something like a Black Crows Nocta if you want a fairly light, but also very fun full rocker. If she "just" wants something wider than the Centurys, then perhaps the outgoing Atris (108) in an appropriate length is going to be a good fit as well - if you want to keep it Black Crows.

But realistically, there are so many good skis to choose from, so a good starting point could be the Blister guide (all, skis not just womens) and see which sounds like a good fit for her, and then see if they offer it in an appropriate length.

M Free 108 in 172. Sweetbippy is on these and she calls them magic skis. 130#? I think. Skis any terrain fast in powder, no airs

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Where’s Alpy when ya need him?
    Available in 169.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Praxis Rx?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

My wife likes the Moment Bella 108 in a 172 for sidecountry but finds it a bit light for inbounds chop. The Mindbender 115C floats better than the Bella but is also too light to track well through dense crusts in my wife's opinion (that one was purely backcountry usage so I can't comment on chop performance).

Speculatively, the WNDR Reason 120 in a 170 or 170 would also be light but I found the WNDR 110 to feel pretty ok if you stood on it hard in chop (albeit I was on a much longer model).

I think my wife has agreed to try out a men's/unisex Wildcat 116 in the 174 length next year to get a bit more mass. If your wife would be comfortable on 175+ skis the short lengths of a lot of TGR favorites come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Praxis Rx?
    I mean, this is always the correct answer

Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    My wife likes the Moment Bella 108 in a 172 for sidecountry but finds it a bit light for inbounds chop. The Mindbender 115C floats better than the Bella but is also too light to track well through dense crusts in my wife's opinion (that one was purely backcountry usage so I can't comment on chop performance).

Speculatively, the WNDR Reason 120 in a 170 or 170 would also be light but I found the WNDR 110 to feel pretty ok if you stood on it hard in chop (albeit I was on a much longer model).

I think my wife has agreed to try out a men's/unisex Wildcat 116 in the 174 length next year to get a bit more mass. If your wife would be comfortable on 175+ skis the short lengths of a lot of TGR favorites come into play.
    Yeah, she's always been on a 166 so I think anything over a low 170s has an intimidation factor , justified or not. Anyone ski the Santa Anna 110? She's never really done a ski w metal so wanted to make sure it wasn't too much

On3p will have 167 and 172 Woodsman 110s next year https://shop.on3pskis.com/products/2023-woodsman-110

I was on the same search a couple of years back; a few suggestions in this thread. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ski-for-the-GF

Anyhow; she really likes her Rustlers

Sheeva 11, Santa Ana 110 free, volkl revolt, black crows Atris birdie and the anima Birdie are where I would start looking.

all of the m-frees have a bitch like flex so they would be great for a woman too, the shovels are big floppy pieces of shit and they skied like garbage.

My wife’s favorite powder skis are 177 Vwerks Katanas. For reference her daily drivers are 170 M102s.

Probably the Solly Blank is worth considering in the 110-115-segment

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    My wife may be looking for something to complement her well traveled 100 underfoot Atomics Century for inbound powder days. I know next to nothing about women's powder skis . She will ski most agressive terrain , steepness is fine , but avoids really consequential lines and air and generally has a more mellow speed, def not a charger. Any tips to start looking in the right direction?
    Since you mentioned "well-traveled:" my wife is on an older Access (basically the same as the Century) and now pretty much refuses to use any of her other 4 skis except for touring, since she's just locked in with those now. We recently got her a Backland 107W and stepped up from 161 to 167. She melded with those well on real powder days and loves the light weight going up, but they're too light for her in chop. The similarity to her daily drivers was really helpful, though, so maybe a consideration depending on how often they'll come out. (I think if I'd found her something wider she'd have stuck to the "narrow" skis more often.)
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Sheeva 11, Santa Ana 110 free, volkl revolt, black crows Atris birdie and the anima Birdie are where I would start looking.

all of the m-frees have a bitch like flex so they would be great for a woman too, the shovels are big floppy pieces of shit and they skied like garbage.
    Tell us how you really feel Joey. I like both the mFree 108 and the Corvus. Different tools for different jobs. The mFree 108 is a great powder ski for most people, it’s like a heavier and more damp Soul7. It’s really accessible and has a pretty high top end. Each length has a core profile suitable for the target skier. The 192 is noticeably thicker than the 182 and the 182 is thicker than the 172. You might not care for it but it’s near universal appeal tells another story.

Wife has the Santa Ana 110 as a pow ski - doesn’t come out all that often but when it does she really likes it. Santa Ana shape and flex works for her as she likes the skinnier ones alot for daily driver duty also. 110 was an upgrade from Volkl Kiku - the Santa Ana is still pretty substantial ski but I believe a wee bit lighter than the Kiku and the camber underfoot seems to work better for her inbounds than the full rocker of the Kiku especially once things get abit chopped up

I’d also be curious about any comparison of SA 110 to Sheeva 11 - looking for this wider spot for my teenagers

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Tell us how you really feel Joey.
    hah, funny - I was about to post the same words, though with an added rotfl.

It struck me as odd that somebody who skis the Atris - a ski with pretty similar tip/shovel properties - found the MF108 to be that... but yeah, that is fine. That is also the reason I suggested an Atris over a MFree - lower weight in a similarly easy to ski, capable and versatile shape that everybody seem to get on with.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    (MF108) it’s like a heavier and more damp Soul7.
    Say what?

Shameless plug but yeah, something like this - https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=wildcat+tour

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    hah, funny - I was about to post the same words, though with an added rotfl.

It struck me as odd that somebody who skis the Atris - a ski with pretty similar tip/shovel properties - found the MF108 to be that... but yeah, that is fine. That is also the reason I suggested an Atris over a MFree - lower weight in a similarly easy to ski, capable and versatile shape that everybody seem to get on with.

Say what?
    Nay nay my good man, Joey doesn’t like the Atris himself, but does seem to recognize it’s merits.

The Sheeva 11 would get my vote. The partial titanal layer would help ease her mind a bit about "a ski with metal." It has metal edge to edge underfoot, and tapers off towards the tip and tails. I haven't personally been on a Rustler/Sheeva, but have yet to find someone that doesn't find them intuitive and supportive when needed.

I would only recommend against it for a firm-snow only ski, or a very directional skier who charges hard. For everyone else, there's MasterCard. I mean, the Sheeva.

Where does the bridge get crossed for an adult woman to not use junior skis, like junior shiro 153s, in terms of weight/height?
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 04-11-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks.for the discussion all. She's going to demo the Altris Birdie tomorrow so we will see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Nay nay my good man, Joey doesn’t like the Atris himself, but does seem to recognize it’s merits.

wait wait wait. I actually have changed some thoughts on that. I’ve been skiing an Atris a lot lately. I just have to consciously change my body and how hard I drive the shovel. I have to stay more upright. It’s been fun, but I can essentially ski super lazy on it and have a ton of fun. I fucked up and should of just got the 189 and may be it would do a little bit more for me, but the 184 is very easy to ski. It just won’t seek and destroy like I enjoy. Ask Iriponsnow about that.

I bet she will really like the Atris birdie.

edit to add. Fuck the m free. Shit sucks. The mmmm poo poo rider was terrible as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    wait wait wait. I actually have changed some thoughts on that. I’ve been skiing an Atris a lot lately. I just have to consciously change my body and how hard I drive the shovel. I have to stay more upright. It’s been fun, but I can essentially ski super lazy on it and have a ton of fun. I fucked up and should of just got the 189 and may be it would do a little bit more for me, but the 184 is very easy to ski. It just won’t seek and destroy like I enjoy. Ask Iriponsnow about that.

I bet she will really like the Atris birdie.
    Alright alright... just busting your balls based on your past criticisms of it as a "noodle." I've only skied the 184 a few times, and yes, very easy. 189 has been great for me and really plenty of ski for most of my days. But I'm 6' 170, skiing continental snowpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Thanks.for the discussion all. She's going to demo the Altris Birdie tomorrow so we will see how it goes
    Where do you ski and/or where is she demoing? My wife and a few lady friends are longtime fans of the Atris Birdie; hard to go wrong. My wife sounds pretty similar in style and approach - strong form, skis anything/everything, but doesn't charge. She skis the 178.

What are "womens" powder skis?

Are they like men's powder skis identically except for the fact that they take 1 hour to put on?

Asking for a friend.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season