Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
    I’m continuing to love my m102’s. Im on tele, so I don’t get all 155/160# onto one edge unless I put both heels down a stand up like a man. I normally would have gotten 178’s, but a friend pointed out that at least last year’s version is known to be stable to size down without losing the top end (too much). I also found a few reviews saying this and some discussion here about it.

So I have the tiny version: 170cm. They’ve been pretty great for me. I haven’t found that top end yet, but haven’t gotten them to a place, like mammoth, to really test and find that scary edge. They feel stable at the higher speeds I’ve found at sugarbowl. Blasts through crap the way I like, feeling stable when I open them up in funky stuff. Nimble in tight spots. Turn size and shape is pretty easy to vary/change. Bumps are cake from poppy style to smooth/carvy style to hoppy turns in very steep bumps. Tail design releases well. Fun and predictable in fresh snow and cement. I don’t consider them demanding and can easily take it slow without fighting the ski.

If I were locking my heel down, 178’s would be the call for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240213_164538784.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	853.4 KB 
ID:	486691
    New katanas waiting to be mounted with some zed12s for general touring use and the G3s can finally be relegated to rock ski duty

PSA: 191 2013 Katanas with Pivot 14 for $175 in SLC https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

Dude also has 191 M5 Mantras flat for $80 (look like 2x mounts)

Quote Originally Posted by LA-73 View Post
    Hi all, just found this thread.

Q as title, have a pair of BMT 122's in 186 which I bought as used quite long ago hence I had to plug old holes. Then I mounted approx +1,5, and all though I don't have much problem skiing them I kind of always felt that it would be better with bindings on zero or maybe even behind the line?

My alpine boots are Nordicas Pro machine 130 (26,5) but have a Plum guide 12 on the BMT's and as such use my Nordica strider 130 on them. Since I sometimes also use the Strider with my alpine skis my feeling is that the Strider is a lot more forward leaning or maybe it's because it's sure all over softer. And becuase of this "more forward leaning feeling" I feel like I'm "hanging" over the tips when skiing the BMT's ...hence my idea of moving the binding back to zero. Worth mentioning is that I've no big issue with tips diving just have this uncomfortable feeling hanging over the tips.

About me: 74kg/180cm (165lbs/5'11) hard directional charge style.
    Favorite skiis I use and have used,

Alpine; OG Katana 191 & 198, LPR105 192, LPR100 176 & 184, 1st G Mantra 184 & 191.
    "Touring"; V-werks katana 191, Blizzard ZG95 & 108 and the BMT 122.

Always had skis mounted on zero except from the mentioned BMT's and a pair of LPR115 184 which I never liked however I mounted the binding.

Any input/thoughts about the BMT 122 186 are much appreciated.
    Thought I give back a little input on my own Q for anyone else looking for the same. Cheers to @Lord Thomas & @waxoff for their input and putting me in the right direction.

Ok so I ended up shimming the toes with 4,5mm plate and moving the binding approx 10mm behind Völkl's zero line. Tested yesterday and it was more or less perfect! Found it to be a huge difference. Sadly not much pow but at least approx 10-15cm in spots so can't say how they would feel on big day but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. It's like a new ski now :-).

Anyone know if M7's will be available at retail in the next month or so? If not, is it worth waiting and not getting an M6 now?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Anyone know if M7's will be available at retail in the next month or so? If not, is it worth waiting and not getting an M6 now?
    I can find out. I don't think there is a plan to release them this year.

I grabbing a pair to bring out to MO next week to test out. I'm curious on the change to the 4 drive radius.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by naedward81 View Post
    I can find out. I don't think there is a plan to release them this year.

I grabbing a pair to bring out to MO next week to test out. I'm curious on the change to the 4 drive radius.

Thx, I remember the M6 launch happened near the end of the prior season they were inline

I think the M7 is an improvement. It feels a little less "tip heavy" and doesn't need to be driven from the front of the boot so much, turn engagement is more progressive, and you don't really give up anything in terms of edgehold on firm snow or stability at speed. Not sure about when they will be available at retail.

Thx, I remember the M6 launch happened near the end of the prior season they were inline
    M7 is a fall release. They opted to release the Peregrine 80 and 82 now instead of the M7.

Been looking for a good high pressure groomer ski and came across an older pair of RTM 84’s for stupid cheap. Believe they are the 2016 version with camber under foot. Are these pretty much the precursor to the Deacon line? Anyone spend time on them?

Quote Originally Posted by ripvw View Post
    Been looking for a good high pressure groomer ski and came across an older pair of RTM 84’s for stupid cheap. Believe they are the 2016 version with camber under foot. Are these pretty much the precursor to the Deacon line? Anyone spend time on them?
    Precursor yes. Full rocker I think tho. Deacons changed shape some, but was built off the rtm platform to start.

Precursor yes. Full rocker I think tho. Deacons changed shape some, but was built off the rtm platform to start.

I could be full of shit,but I think starting in 2016 they went to tip/tail rocker and camber underfoot. Can anyone confirm?
    These are the model/year I’m looking at.

Name:	Image1708108266.884080.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	487059
    Last edited by ripvw; 02-16-2024 at 02:18 PM.

Anyone know what ski around 100mm with some camber would be damp like an M5 or M102, but with more tip and tail rocker to be looser in crappy variable and crust?

Enforcer 104 Free? Ranger 102 FR?
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 02-16-2024 at 03:03 PM.

I could be full of shit,but I think stating in 2016 they went to tip/tail rocker and camber underfoot. Can anyone confirm?
    These are the model/year I’m looking at.

Name:	Image1708108266.884080.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	487059
    I may be wrong. I came on with Volkl in 2021 after I moved back north in 2020 and was out of the ski arena for a dozen years.

I know a handful of people that have that ski and they still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by LA-73 View Post
    Thought I give back a little input on my own Q for anyone else looking for the same. Cheers to @Lord Thomas & @waxoff for their input and putting me in the right direction.

Ok so I ended up shimming the toes with 4,5mm plate and moving the binding approx 10mm behind Völkl's zero line. Tested yesterday and it was more or less perfect! Found it to be a huge difference. Sadly not much pow but at least approx 10-15cm in spots so can't say how they would feel on big day but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. It's like a new ski now :-).
    Great to hear! 😃👍😎

I've got a buddy who's a Völkl rep in the midwest. Racer/examiner type of skier. That's the model and year he brought west for a few seasons when he'd visit. He held onto them for a while. I'd think they would be cambered underfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Anyone know what ski around 100mm with some camber would be damp like an M5 or M102, but with more tip and tail rocker to be looser in crappy variable and crust?

Enforcer?
    New Rustler 9

3mm of camber

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chicken feathers View Post
    I've got a buddy who's a Völkl rep in the midwest. Racer/examiner type of skier. That's the model and year he brought west for a few seasons when he'd visit. He held onto them for a while. I'd think they would be cambered underfoot.
    Wonder if I know him? I'm one of the pro reps in the Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post

Enforcer?
    J Skis Master Blaster

All Things Volkl Thread

Double post

Also, thanks all for the posts about M6 vs M102. Leaning towards the 184 M6 or waiting for the new M7. I’d like too try a 177 M102 as well

Currently I remounted my 187cm Master Blasters from -1cm to +.5cm of the line to see if I like them better there

Wonder if I know him? I'm one of the pro reps in the Midwest.

I had wondered that. I sent ya a pm to find out.

On an different note, here's some Volkl stoke from work a few years ago.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 6.10.04 PM.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	439.1 KB 
ID:	487113

This should cover Montana next week. Really curious to see how the M7 rips on groomers in the afternoons.

This should cover Montana next week. Really curious to see how the M7 rips on groomers in the afternoons.

Looking forward to your impressions of the M7. What length is it?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by swissbro View Post
    Looking forward to your impressions of the M7. What length is it?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That's my buddies 184 that I just mounted in the picture. I have the 177 demo to ski. Another buddy is going to ski the 184 demo I have with.

Name:	IMG_1832.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	465.6 KB 
ID:	487173

I forgot how awesome these are.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025