Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Yeah, I like this guy's style: "Sometimes you need a backup for your backup!".
    I’m wondering if the divorce had anything to do with disagreements about spending.

Nah. She's a wack. He's tight w the coin.

I've skied on a pair of 2020 Rise Beyond 98s for two seasons and found them quite forgiving and composed - almost to the point of blandness. They will happily release from a turn at any point and powerslide indefinitely. Versatile corn ski because they'll do fine on both the firm end of the spectrum and the isothermal end of the spectrum.

At this point the skis have no camber left, but also minimal rise in the tails. 184s, tails detuned moderately, alpinists. I'm 5'11" 165lb. Mostly ski them with fischer transalp boots.
    Last edited by hyak; 06-02-2023 at 08:27 AM. Reason: correct ski name

Quote Originally Posted by hyak View Post
    I've skied on Rise Above 98s for two seasons and found them quite forgiving and composed - almost to the point of blandness. They will happily release from a turn at any point and powerslide indefinitely. Versatile corn ski because they'll do fine on both the firm end of the spectrum and the isothermal end of the spectrum.

At this point the skis have no camber left, but also minimal rise in the tails. 184s, tails detuned moderately, alpinists. I'm 5'11" 165lb. Mostly ski them with fischer transalp boots.
    Good info, sounds like a nice ski

The wife just scored a pair of the Blaze 94W at a pretty sweet price. I was looking at mount point lines. They are the standard 3 lines like my M102's with the most rearward line being the recommended. I haven't measured from center but the back line sure looks far back. Any one with some input on the Blaze mounting point?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    The wife just scored a pair of the Blaze 94W at a pretty sweet price. I was looking at mount point lines. They are the standard 3 lines like my M102's with the most rearward line being the recommended. I haven't measured from center but the back line sure looks far back. Any one with some input on the Blaze mounting point?
    50% off at mammoth! Grabbed the 165 for my wife as her original 161 santa annas (100mm) are getting old and she freaking loves them. She demoed and did not love the blaze 94w while demoing new boots (didn't fit her old bindings). I figured it was mount point and maybe needing detune, so tried that with the pair i bought. Lined them up next to her santa annas and despite 4cm difference in length, the +2cm line was MUCH closer to sant anna mount point so went with that. Detuned rocker sections as my wife does not achieve high edge angles anyways and she actually liked them this time.

The 0 line on volkls is very far back and what I personally prefer on my m102. but i got the 184 m102 for a friend and put demo bindings on in case the skis were a little too much for him so he could play with mount point. He struggled at 0 and felt a big improvement at +2cm. Similarly i got m6 mantras for my dad and he struggled at 0. It was not a demo binding so i remounted at +2 and detuned rocker more. He LOVED the change. Night and day for him. And my wife is data point #3 going from 0 to +2 on current volkls making a big difference. I like the 0 mark, but it seems most people greatly prefer +2

Quote Originally Posted by chewski View Post
    50% off at mammoth! Grabbed the 165 for my wife as her original 161 santa annas (100mm) are getting old and she freaking loves them. She demoed and did not love the blaze 94w while demoing new boots (didn't fit her old bindings). I figured it was mount point and maybe needing detune, so tried that with the pair i bought. Lined them up next to her santa annas and despite 4cm difference in length, the +2cm line was MUCH closer to sant anna mount point so went with that. Detuned rocker sections as my wife does not achieve high edge angles anyways and she actually liked them this time.

The 0 line on volkls is very far back and what I personally prefer on my m102. but i got the 184 m102 for a friend and put demo bindings on in case the skis were a little too much for him so he could play with mount point. He struggled at 0 and felt a big improvement at +2cm. Similarly i got m6 mantras for my dad and he struggled at 0. It was not a demo binding so i remounted at +2 and detuned rocker more. He LOVED the change. Night and day for him. And my wife is data point #3 going from 0 to +2 on current volkls making a big difference. I like the 0 mark, but it seems most people greatly prefer +2
    Awesome. Good info...thanks. Yup she got a 50% off deal as well. She is definitely not a high edge angle skier and skis she has liked have been more center mount. I'll do some side to side comparisons with some of her other skis. Probably lean towards the +2 line.

All Things Volkl Thread

So the V-werks Manyras showed up- they look dead sexy, but have camber? Silly me, i thought they were ELP full rocker. Was there a change, or did i just read the internet poorly? Of course now everything I can find says they have camber….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Vwerks mantras always had camber

Only the Katana V-Werks is ELP full rocker, as was the regular 4th gen Mantra. If you want to pass the MVW's along (or trade for something + cash), I might be tempted...came close to pulling the trigger on that pair.

they do have camber, but like most newer Volkl's the camber is pretty minimal and soft with deep rocker zones without much splay before the very tips of the ski. As such they kinda ski like the best of both world's imho - lots of pivotability, but still grip on shallower edge angles on firm snow.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Only the Katana V-Werks is ELP full rocker, as was the regular 4th gen Mantra.
    Yeah, the only full rocker Mantra was the 2015-2017 metal one.. happy to have a pair in the collection. Part of why the BMT 94 is such a unicorn is that its the only full rocker ski in its weight class ever made (I think?). That could change very soon...

My kid has the 100Eight, which is full rocker but obviously wider than the mid-90’s skis. His 189’s with din12 Salomon’s weigh a lot less than my 170 mantra102’s with tele ntn bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    they do have camber, but like most newer Volkl's the camber is pretty minimal and soft with deep rocker zones without much splay before the very tips of the ski. As such they kinda ski like the best of both world's imho - lots of pivotability, but still grip on shallower edge angles on firm snow.
    Exactly this ^. Ive got these and a BMT109..and the minimal camber I think you can barely feel in the MVW, on the solid and steep you feel more stable under foot. The only answer is to have 1 of everything so youre fully equipped ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E3A46C4-4901-4F76-9469-2A43D92DCA7F.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	533.2 KB 
ID:	461892

2024 quiver taking shape. Sold the Kendo’s & 1 set of SL skis off ; just brought in 2x Deacon Master 72 in 178cm / 16.4 m radius.

Quote Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
    Exactly this ^. Ive got these and a BMT109..and the minimal camber I think you can barely feel in the MVW, on the solid and steep you feel more stable under foot. The only answer is to have 1 of everything so youre fully equipped ;-)
    My impression from reading all the responses is that the camber won’t be a big deal, and overall these are a bit heavier than I was seeking for the quiver spot but probably fairly powerful and capable ski- I’m leaning towards keeping them and just getting a bit stronger to manage the 100-200 gram per ski weight difference over alternatives that likely ski worse.

Gravity always wins...

https://lonepinegearx.com/collection...-mounted-86128 not sure if this is the right place for this, but very sweet deal on some bmt 122s if you’re a shorter shredder

Actually I think kit is the perfect place for a PSA. So many lurkers just taking advantage of gearswap

All Things Volkl Thread

CAN$720 for Mantra V-werks in 178cm. If these were 186s, they’re already be mine.

https://techno-sport.com/collections...a-v-werks-2019

Fleebay has a pair of one mount one day ski 94 in 186 that are worth a look now. Not my skis. Know for some these are a grail

How does sizing work across the Kendo/Mantras/Katana family? If you like one in one size does that work for all of them? I have a first gen M102 in 184 that I like, so if I'm interested in a Kendo 88 is 184 the call?

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Fleebay has a pair of one mount one day ski 94 in 186 that are worth a look now. Not my skis. Know for some these are a grail
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    How does sizing work across the Kendo/Mantras/Katana family? If you like one in one size does that work for all of them? I have a first gen M102 in 184 that I like, so if I'm interested in a Kendo 88 is 184 the call?
    I have the M6, M102, K108, and the K88 all in 184. Seamless feeling using any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by swissbro View Post
    I have the M6, M102, K108, and the K88 all in 184. Seamless feeling using any of them.

177 Kendo, 184 2013 mantra, 184 m102. The 184's ski perfect, the 177 is too short but I can tell it just needs that little extra length.

I would only go up on the K108 if I really wanted to run over some kids. But that's a job for the bodes, so 184 it would be.

Anyone got further input/time on the two new 114's [revolt/blaze] since? I have way too much overlap in the mid-fat waists in the quiver, but I really enjoyed both of those planks for what they were made for on demo day.

And reiterating what I said earlier, I will beg for some 184 Dragon Katanas if I have to.