Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    You should mount them for a 27.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Saturday afternoon “what shall I mount on these?” musings…

Attachment 433668
    All katana shootout review coming soon?

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

All Things Volkl Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    All katana shootout review coming soon?

Probably should do that. I’ve owned four pairs of the metal 112-mm waist Katanas (1st year 190, 2nd year 183, rockered 190, and now rockered 184). I had barons on the V-Werks but ditched those a few years back. Thought about Shifts but leaning towards Duke PT’s. Will probably mount some demos on the Green Ninja’s so my kid can ski them, too.

The K108 is my favorite, though.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Probably should do that. I’ve owned four pairs of the metal 112-mm waist Katanas (1st year 190, 2nd year 183, rockered 190, and now rockered 184). I had barons on the V-Werks but ditched those a few years back. Thought about Shifts but leaning towards Duke PT’s. Will probably mount some demos on the Green Ninja’s so my kid can ski them, too.

The K108 is my favorite, though.
    This is telling.

I talk to some friend who are skiers but not as keen as I am and I keep trying to tell them how good the skis are these days.

Nostalgia is fun but modern designs are sooooo good.

All Things Volkl Thread

They are all great skis and definitely share the same DNA, even the V-Werks. The full rocker design is so good on a day when one is hanging off-piste on the steep and deep. They are just a smidge too wide, have a pretty large turn radius, and are “meh” on groomers to be a resort charger for most people.

For most resort days, the K108 is a much more fun, versatile, yet as competent charger (as you already know). It’s definitely the best resort-friendly Katana. It’s funny that the Katana was originally thought of as a fat Mantra. The K108 is the model that best meets that description.

The V-Werks is probably the most appropriate application of the original Katana design for the way Pow get chewed up so quickly these days. Use it as a 50/50 touring rig. It’s great in Pow and handles pretty well once things get tracked out. However, it’s got a reasonable weight for the up. The original owner of the metal Katanas put Barons on them. That right there shows you how much things have changed over the past decade plus.

Just skied my wife's new 170cm secret 102.

On the icy WROD they were noticeably more precise than my longer 177 K108... and even in the 170 they felt great, surprisingly not "short feeling".

And I did a test where I leaned way back to see if the heels would punish that... nope... release easily even leaning way back. I was testing this to make sure my wife won't get owned by these since she's more of an intermediate skier and they are quite stiff.

I'm now super confident she can handle them and I might even keep taking them out myself... very fun!

M102's were never demanding, just heavy so if you ski bad you're overdoing it on the effort side and wear out faster. Though if you size up and aren't a strong person i could see them running away from you if you really fuck up.

Yeah makes sense... I feel the same way about my katana. I was worried about them being too much but they are definitely not and my wife even skied them one full day last year and had zero problems even in the 177.

She commented that one of the things that she liked about my katana was the increased weight... so she talked me into getting her the secret instead of the blaze.

Reading this and Katana 108 threads made me want to get some? Anyone selling M102 or K108 in 191?

Edit: found one!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Robik; 11-25-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Day 6 had me on my M102 191's for the first time this season on pretty good cruising conditions. Sometimes you forget in the off-season, but wow, what a ski! Awesome and scary at the same time. Something about being on a ski that has no speed limit, at least one that I will never find. They remind me so much of my old blue/orange cochise 193's I used to ride. Two thumbs up for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    Reading this and Katana 108 threads made me want to get some? Anyone selling M108 or K108 in 191?

Edit: found one!

Nice! Looking forward to your thoughts and impressions after you get out on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Day 6 had me on my M102 191's for the first time this season on pretty good cruising conditions. Sometimes you forget in the off-season, but wow, what a ski! Awesome and scary at the same time. Something about being on a ski that has no speed limit, at least one that I will never find. They remind me so much of my old blue/orange cochise 193's I used to ride. Two thumbs up for sure.
    The 193 OG Cochise comparison is likely to get some attention here. I’ve only spent one day on the 191 but will agree that they felt like they had no speed limit. I’m impressed by those who can manage and enjoy these beasts!

Nice! Looking forward to your thoughts and impressions after you get out on them.
    I'm with my little snowboarder today and despite the conditions and speed limitations of my kiddo it's definitely not demanding or clunky at slower speeds. It definitely wants to run and be on more open terrain. In the last few years I've been experimenting with more progressively mounted skis, tighter radius etc. but this one feels so intuitive and reliable that I'm thinking of letting go the majority of my quiver, get Blaze 106 for touring as it seems to be very close to K108 in it's profile but lighter and be done with it.

^^^ you are correct that the blaze 106 skis remarkably similar to the katana. I have both and both have been super intuitive from the first run.

The blaze has a little more rocker and a little less camber and I liked mine a little further forward (+1.5 to +2cm) than my katanas (+1cm).

I played with mount points on both skis with demo bindings but now have g3 zed on the blaze for touring and pivot 15 on the katana for resort.

The blaze is light but not ultralight... but a great compromise between weight and performance... if you don't mind a couple hundred more grams on the up than some other skis, and you like the katana you will definitely be happy with the blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    ^^^ you are correct that the blaze 106 skis remarkably similar to the katana. I have both and both have been super intuitive from the first run.

The blaze has a little more rocker and a little less camber and I liked mine a little further forward (+1.5 to +2cm) than my katanas (+1cm).

I played with mount points on both skis with demo bindings but now have g3 zed on the blaze for touring and pivot 15 on the katana for resort.

The blaze is light but not ultralight... but a great compromise between weight and performance... if you don't mind a couple hundred more grams on the up than some other skis, and you like the katana you will definitely be happy with the blaze.

I'm pretty happy with my current touring setup: Line Vision 108 189/ATK FR14/Tecnica ZGPT but could see Blaze as more stable. Definitely stoked with K108!

Found on ns, these are going to be real fun I’m sure

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3DCF10E-F9A1-4F52-A9E3-8A4609D78E28.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	519.3 KB 
ID:	435830

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Found on ns, these are going to be real fun I’m sure

Name:	A3DCF10E-F9A1-4F52-A9E3-8A4609D78E28.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	519.3 KB 
ID:	435830
    Looks like the Revolt 121 just dropped off my wish list…

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Looks like the Revolt 121 just dropped off my wish list…

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Because it's been replaced by the 114 (for you)? Or something else?

I don't mind progressive mounts but personally I don't like them on powder oriented skis.

2251 @ 177? That's a fuckin heavy ski.

I don't think anyone reaches for the 121 in deep pow, it's a playful-shape hero-snow ski that has the weight to be damp and the extra width is consequential. The 114 looks to be a trimmed and refined version of that ski.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    2251 @ 177? That's a fuckin heavy ski.

I don't think anyone reaches for the 121 in deep pow, it's a playful-shape hero-snow ski that has the weight to be damp and the extra width is consequential. The 114 looks to be a trimmed and refined version of that ski.
    All of the things you mention make for a great PNW soft snow ski. And if you aren’t going to tour on them, weight is your friend.

All Things Volkl Thread

At one time being a Volkl guy…now with a Moment quiver of 2……should I just get a pair of 22-23 Kendo’s for the hell of it and turn it into my rock ski?
    MDV shop price is too low to pass up….?

All Things Volkl Thread

Any info on rec mount point for the new Revolt 114? Would prefer it in a 180-181 vs 177.

Mounting my Volkl Revolt 104s today with STH. Rec looks to be -1.5cm and I’m mounting mine at -3.5cm.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-02-2022 at 11:28 AM.

All Things Volkl Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    At one time being a Volkl guy…now with a Moment quiver of 2……should I just get a pair of 22-23 Kendo’s for the hell of it and turn it into my rock ski?
    MDV shop price is too low to pass up….?
    Been on mine the last 3 days. They are little rocket ships.

Name:	Image1669758293.549636.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	663.5 KB 
ID:	435950

All Things Volkl Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    Been on mine the last 3 days. They are little rocket ships.

Name:	Image1669758293.549636.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	663.5 KB 
ID:	435950
    If I wasn’t so intent on building my Moment collection…lol…..^^^that would be my Volkl quiver. Nice work!

I bought them…couldn’t pass up the price/