Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    A bit more background is that my touring quiver right now (all mounted with Trab Vario race style) is made up of Beast 108s (1700g with bindings), custom Wovn lightweight BC Solis clones (1450g with bindings), and Voile Objectives (1250g with bindings). The Wovns are a perfect touring shape as far as I'm concerned (almost exact same shape as the Solis, around 175cm long and 97mm underfoot), the only issue is that they were custom built for my friend who weighs 40lbs more than me so they're a bit stiff for me. The Beast is pretty close to a perfect shape as well. The Objectives are not ideal for me - too much camber and sidecut, but for a ~1kg ski they are better than most because they have a lot of rocker and aren't wildly stiff (I'm only 145lbs).

I've spent a lot of time on BMT 94s and have skied the 109s for a few runs and they are both pretty much perfect skis with amazing construction. Unfortunately due to my own bad decisions I don't own BMT 94 or 109 right now. The Beasts fill the 109 quiver slot at a lighter weight and I'm fine with that. The Wovns are perfect in good snow and are very solid on scary terrain in firm snow, but I can't ski them as aggressively as I'd like to in firm snow because of their stiffness. I also kind of like having a little (tiny) bit of camber for skinning traction, so the Solis and Beast rocker profiles work very well for me, but I can manage skinning a BMT94. My dream ski is a Solis with a BMT construction, or a lighter V-Werks Mantra.

I do a fair amount of skiing with guys on ~1kg skis who are at least as fit as I am so I need to have a ski in that weight class that is manageable, and I think the Rise 88 will be an improvement on the Objective. I guess despite their similar dimensions the BMT and Rise occupy different quiver slots, with the Rise being a fast weekday/long mission ski and the BMT being a fun, reliable ski for more casual or dangerous objectives that aren't as fast paced.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    A bit more background is that my touring quiver right now (all mounted with Trab Vario race style) is made up of Beast 108s (1700g with bindings), custom Wovn lightweight BC Solis clones (1450g with bindings), and Voile Objectives (1250g with bindings). The Wovns are a perfect touring shape as far as I'm concerned (almost exact same shape as the Solis, around 175cm long and 97mm underfoot), the only issue is that they were custom built for my friend who weighs 40lbs more than me so they're a bit stiff for me. The Beast is pretty close to a perfect shape as well. The Objectives are not ideal for me - too much camber and sidecut, but for a ~1kg ski they are better than most because they have a lot of rocker and aren't wildly stiff (I'm only 145lbs).

I've spent a lot of time on BMT 94s and have skied the 109s for a few runs and they are both pretty much perfect skis with amazing construction. Unfortunately due to my own bad decisions I don't own BMT 94 or 109 right now. The Beasts fill the 109 quiver slot at a lighter weight and I'm fine with that. The Wovns are perfect in good snow and are very solid on scary terrain in firm snow, but I can't ski them as aggressively as I'd like to in firm snow because of their stiffness. I also kind of like having a little (tiny) bit of camber for skinning traction, so the Solis and Beast rocker profiles work very well for me, but I can manage skinning a BMT94. My dream ski is a Solis with a BMT construction, or a lighter V-Werks Mantra.

I do a fair amount of skiing with guys on ~1kg skis who are at least as fit as I am so I need to have a ski in that weight class that is manageable, and I think the Rise 88 will be an improvement on the Objective. I guess despite their similar dimensions the BMT and Rise occupy different quiver slots, with the Rise being a fast weekday/long mission ski and the BMT being a fun, reliable ski for more casual or dangerous objectives that aren't as fast paced.
    yeah, that sounds like a pretty well thought out quiver / plan. It sounds like you know what you want to get out of the addition - and the BMT90 is not it. That is fine - 88s should be killer skis too.

If you are able to keep both for a while, then perhaps give the 88s a try and move them on if they are not for you. If you need to sell a pair, then finding another pair of BMT90s is not going to be impossible down the road as they are still in production. Also, as much as I love BMT90s, I would choose a pair of 94s over them any day of the week - so perhaps you luck out and are able to find a pair of 94s while you try the 88s.

88s with super light weight bindings will be a dream on the up, if a bit more challenging going fast downhill in all but perfect snow. You guys get a lot of dry snow though, so the shape / construction should still be super versatile - much more so than in coastal snow where 1000gr skis just simply do not have enough mass. If the 88s do not pan out then selling them with a decent binding shouldn't be impossible - there are a lot of weight weenies out there that should be frothing at just such a setup

I have concluded that the various BMTs are as good touring skis as I will ever need and fit my selection criteria perfectly. They are just sooooo fun and ride so well, while having just the right weight. I still want to buy other touring skis though, like all the time, but have managed to refrain this off season. There are just so many interesting skis out there, but nothing quite like BMTs. I kinda wonder how much longer they will be produced. Their current price level can't help sales - they have gotten just so expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    H zone is Marker marketing bullshit. There is no structural difference in that area. Even within the H zone you may find the voids in the core. Mount whatever you want on those and use good glue with upside-down cure.

Attachment 430050
    I regret passing on BMT 94's a few years back because of that BS. You're right, the consensus is that that was pure marketing, pretty sure I heard people were still drilling into the voids while mounting markers.

I wouldn't let it stop me from mounting whatever binding I want on it now.

Last season I picked up some Blaze's as a 50/50 ski, and drilled into 1 or 2 voids while mounting them. Whatever. Used a bit more epoxy in those holes, flipped to cure and pretty much forgot about it.

I picked up some 186cm Blaze 106 to be mounted with ATK FR14 as a dedicated touring setup. Wondering where I should mount these? Recommended is at -11.9cm, which is pretty far back and I'm curious if I should go +1 or +2cm? I would really love to only mount these once. I have the 184 V-Werks Katana w/G3 Ions and originally mounted them at recommended (-13.9cm).......didn't care for them mounted that far back and moved them up +2cm. MUCH better there......quicker, easier to pivot and I feel like I didn't lose any float or stability. I'm a pretty 'traditional' skier.....I ski the front of the boot and drive my tips. I'm currently leaning towards +1cm on the Blaze. Thanks!
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    I picked up some 186cm Blaze 106 to be mounted with ATK FR14 as a dedicated touring setup. Wondering where I should mount these? Recommended is at -11.9cm, which is pretty far back and I'm curious if I should go +1 or +2cm? I would really love to only mount these once. I have the 184 V-Werks Katana w/G3 Ions and originally mounted them at recommended (-13.9cm).......didn't care for them mounted that far back and moved them up +2cm. MUCH better there......quicker, easier to pivot and I feel like I didn't lose any float or stability. I'm a pretty 'traditional' skier.....I ski the front of the boot and drive my tips. I'm currently leaning towards +1cm on the Blaze. Thanks!
    FWIW I mounted my 186cm Blaze 94's at +1. After a day or two of eyeballing it, standing on the ski's barefoot, moving my binding and boots around on the ski, +1 looked best to me as far as the rocker & camber were concerned.

I like to drive the front of the boots and ski too, and have always favored directional skis w/ traditional mounts like many of Volkl's free ride skis. I'm happy with how they ski at +1 and will be leaving them there.

ETA: Mine are mounted for telemark. I would have mounted at the same spot for alpine.

I have 4-5 mounts on my BMTs without issues.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chicken feathers View Post
    FWIW I mounted my 186cm Blaze 94's at +1. After a day or two of eyeballing it, standing on the ski's barefoot, moving my binding and boots around on the ski, +1 looked best to me as far as the rocker & camber were concerned.

I like to drive the front of the boots and ski too, and have always favored directional skis w/ traditional mounts like many of Volkl's free ride skis. I'm happy with how they ski at +1 and will be leaving them there.

ETA: Mine are mounted for telemark. I would have mounted at the same spot for alpine.
    Cool....thanks. Further validating my original thoughts.
    Old's Cool.

Thanks for the encouragement about mounting BMTs. I know that people have been using non-marker bindings with them since they were released but I've been a bit nervous about using a relatively narrow-mount skimo race binding with them. I'd love to use an ATK SL World Cup on them since they're pretty cheap from Europe right now to compensate for their heavier weight (relative to other skinny touring skis).

Just bought my wife a set of Secret 102’s with Bindings for $400 shipped from Corbetts. She has primarily only had powder skis for the last few years so I’m curious to see what she thinks of these. Went with a 163 compared to her more normal 168-169cm setups.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    I like +1.5 to +2cm on my pair in a 179 and I had demo bindings on to play around with that before I mounted touring bindings at +1.5.

I didn't like +1. I felt like they could be driven from there but also needed to be... Needed more attention and felt less intuitive. Further forward they felt more intuitive for me.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Just bought my wife a set of Secret 102’s with Bindings for $400 shipped from Corbetts. She has primarily only had powder skis for the last few years so I’m curious to see what she thinks of these. Went with a 163 compared to her more normal 168-169cm setups.
    Bought the same skis for my intermediate level wife after she skied my 177 K108 for a day and didn't have a single issue with them.

I went with the 170... Maybe a little long for her? But I'll borrow them too so that's good for me.

Edit to add: my wife's new secret 102 are noticably stiffer that my Katana 108... Like more than a little.

I hope this was a good choice.
    Last edited by Shorty_J; 10-16-2022 at 04:36 PM.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement about mounting BMTs.
    I've mounted Tectons/Vipecs (90,94,109x2,122x2), Pivots (BMT122s), Shifts (122), MTN/Backlands (94,109, 122) and soon Crests (90 and possibly 109, and/or 94s if I can source some) on various BMTs, zero issues across all of them. Admittedly none of the listed bindings have super narrow footprints, so perhaps not the correct medicine for not overthinking it.

I would not be hesitant to mount any type of binding on BMTs though - including tele. I would not mount tele on VTAs.

eh, I've never thought about it before, but re the list above - I think I can say that I've never had as many skis from series of skis as from the BMT line. I should get some kind of BMT accolade for being such a dedicated BMT fanboi/idiot. )All have been bought with steep discounts though)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I like +1.5 to +2cm on my pair in a 179 and I had demo bindings on to play around with that before I mounted touring bindings at +1.5.

I didn't like +1. I felt like they could be driven from there but also needed to be... Needed more attention and felt less intuitive. Further forward they felt more intuitive for me.

Thanks, decided to go +1.5cm.
    Old's Cool.

I bought a pair of 186 bmt 90 cheap last year as my low tide ski. definitely hit a lot of Vermont rocks before I bought them but held up well and edges too. Small crack at tip put a couple pieces of glass and gflex patch on top. Bit long for me touring. Put some marker alpinist bindings on them. Bought mid season and primary touring skis zero g 105 were grabbed. Pretty stoked to ski them hearing how well the design has aged

Onlyshortcoming I saw was being tricky in spots like that

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Only shortcoming I saw was being tricky in spots like that
    The BMTs are fantastic on icy traverses due to their straight sidecut and elite construction. Check out this video my friend made of skiing the Success Couloir on Rainier on BMT 109 with a heinously exposed icy traverse at the top https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnK_qPrO_Zo

Thanks for the correction. I was looking and thinking the reverse camber was leading to less edge. Good to know and really looking forward to giving them a spin

^ that's some real survival shit. Big line, bad snow. Oof/props. Good gawd I hate those fucking poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    ^ that's some real survival shit. Big line, bad snow. Oof/props. Good gawd I hate those fucking poles.
    Was just thinking the same thing about those poles. They look clumsy AF! I blame Cody.

Cool video though. Class 5+ sort of fun.

Yeah it's rad as hell. I've been looking at that line for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    So you've hand flexed them and that makes sense to put your wife on? Not being an asshole, but there is a reason that Secret 96's and 102's are always leftover. Heck, the Mantra 102's are always leftover. Because the Secret 102 is a Mantra 102, and in the case of the 163 just shorter, so it flexes even stiffer. If your wife has raced gates in the past or has demanded this ski, then carry on.

The M102 would never enter my mind to put an intermediate or lighter skier on.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

Yep, if doing this so skier can grow into them, definitely skew shorter to make them less of a dead, un-fun plank at low speeds.

I’ve never flexed them… but I’m also not doing the ‘buy your lady sendy skis and hope she sends move”.

I’m honestly viewing this as ‘gathering data’ and hopefully she likes them. She hasn’t had a pair of frontside skis in…. years and nothing like this. I think she’ll get 8-10 days on them and if needed we’ll sell them for a couple hundred bucks. This is ski 5 in the quiver so only some resorts and snow conditions.

No race background but skis 60ish days per year. I think this is season 8-9 and she doesn’t have a problem skiing the fall line on hard terrain (with the exception being shitty snow). She 5’5” and maybe like 125lbs.

I think the main application I hope these do well at are a week after it’s snowed making frontside runs a bit more fun. They’re a lot lighter than some of her other skis and she’s skied stuff with a longer radius and liked them… I think they’ll be a solid addition but we’ll see if she gets bounced by the flex.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    So you've hand flexed them and that makes sense to put your wife on? Not being an asshole, but there is a reason that Secret 96's and 102's are always leftover. Heck, the Mantra 102's are always leftover. Because the Secret 102 is a Mantra 102, and in the case of the 163 just shorter, so it flexes even stiffer. If your wife has raced gates in the past or has demanded this ski, then carry on.

The M102 would never enter my mind to put an intermediate or lighter skier on.

Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

That line is sick. But those poles. Jesus. The snow is even worse then the poles though that’s for sure. Well done.

Just formed a pair of Mantra 102's in the 191. Hope it's not too much.

Stoke level 11.