Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    They've got that captive audience...families large enough to where a minivan is the only possible option (3rd row SUVs may help here a bit, but they aren't really the same thing at all and are themselves expensive).

I've seen economic research that shows that some combination of child-seat requirements and the need to have a $$$ minivan to legally haul the family has a statistically significant reduction on the fertility rate.

I'm not saying people are actually sitting there saying "I'd have another kid, but I can't afford the minivan," but it can be a significant expense and can subconsciously factor into decision-making.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    They've got that captive audience...families large enough to where a minivan is the only possible option (3rd row SUVs may help here a bit, but they aren't really the same thing at all and are themselves expensive).

I've seen economic research that shows that some combination of child-seat requirements and the need to have a $$$ minivan to legally haul the family has a statistically significant reduction on the fertility rate.

I'm not saying people are actually sitting there saying "I'd have another kid, but I can't afford the minivan," but it can be a significant expense and can subconsciously factor into decision-making.
    It's just one of the multitudinous large expenses that reduces the fertility rate. I expect that effect to only get stronger over the next few years.

https://fortune.com/2023/01/12/mille...ren-birthrate/

Some of us get them because you can't beat the utility. They're also insanely popular for people hauler fleets and rural and suburban schools.

Just don't get a Caravan, I'm about to replace the motor mounts for the third time this year

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Some of us get them because you can't beat the utility. They're also insanely popular for people hauler fleets and rural and suburban schools.

Just don't get a Caravan, I'm about to replace the motor mounts for the third time this year
    So much torque, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post

Hogwash! Americans are just spoiled AF. I've been around SE Asia where families cruise around on mopeds loaded to the gills with both parents, a baby, a toddler, a couple older kids, the dog, and a whole load they're bringing to the market.

Chrysler Pacifica hybrid took the top spot in consumer report's list of least reliable vehicles.

FCA vehicles took 4 out of the top 10 spots.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Chrysler Pacifica hybrid took the top spot in consumer report's list of least reliable vehicles.

Fix It Again Tony ......................................

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    So much torque, eh?
    This motor (when it's running right) is surprisingly nice. 283hp 270 torque isn't bad really and even though it's a minivan and I'm an old dude I still ask a motor for all it's got a few times a week. It just happens ya know.

I'm so surprised

Love my old man but he has driven Chryslers and Dodges his whole life with the exception of a brief Saab phase. Nearly all of them have been shitboxes. Kills me.

Shitbox is really a term of endearment meant for things like '89 Civics, OG Forerunners and your mom's Camry that just won't die. Chrysler hasn't made anything deserving of the label since maybe the Rampage!

I don't think I've ever heard the phrase "surprisingly nice" when describing the Pentastar V6.

When it's right it's a good motor. My Challenger took care of itself nicely in a variety of situations and got 30+mpg on the highway. As often as we hear about and see problems with them there are millions with no problems.

Tell me about your minivan

I drove one of those and the gas one. The phev ones were $25k off MSRP with incentives and credits. Cheaper than the gas after all that. But, they drive horribly. There’s a noticeable vibration in the drivetrain.

The ice one otoh drove much nicer but it’s still a Chrysler.

Of the ones I’ve driven I like odyssey the best. It just feels better. Tighter, more driveable.

I drove a Chrysler rental minivan a few years ago for like 3 days, moving my dad down to FL during Covid when all my sisters were freaked out about him getting on a plane. It drove nice- head and shoulders above the Chrysler products of my youth- didn’t have that stiff unnatural feel of the 90s era vehicles. That doesn’t mean it will still be nice at 100k miles of course but I was impressed.

Still went for the Toyota when it was time to buy though.

+1 on the rental Pacificas.

Wouldn’t want to own one though…certainly not out of warranty.

Besides the obvious annoyances the Pacifica has the big problem is they tucked the new motor too far back and there's no airflow so the rear bank gets really hot. All sorts of things are failing back there now that they have a few years on them. They don't show as running excessively hot because the coolant cools before it gets to the temp sensors as it runs through the system but the damage is being done.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    As much as I like having a minivan I can't picture spending 40k+ on one.
    Here’s one for sale in Canada:

Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Here’s one for sale in Canada:

I mean... that's like $12,500 USD, innit?

Interior configuration was mentioned earlier, this is how I typically rollClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20231210_135203252.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	479036 The dog loves it and it's pretty obvious to any genius thinking it's worth breaking a window to get in can see that there's nothing there to steal. I do keep a bunch of stuff in the under floor compartment, that's why that seat is up. Tools go in the space where the jack is, there's plenty of room. Now I need a console for up front.

That rug really ties it together.

I actually feel the opposite about the console. The Sienna’s is huge. I’d rather have none or at least a much smaller one so it was easy to crawl back and forth. I suggest a small cooler between the front seats if you need something to store shit in

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I actually feel the opposite about the console. The Sienna’s is huge. I’d rather have none or at least a much smaller one so it was easy to crawl back and forth. I suggest a small cooler between the front seats if you need something to store shit in
    Ya. My 2007 Sienna had a flip up console, iirc. The 2011 has a massive monster that could probably hold that cooler, twice. It's in the way and I hate it. I'd prefer to be able to get between the front and back without exiting the vehicle.

My wife likes it without anything there too. Both of the OE options are pretty intrusive so maybe I'll make something custom. I need a flat spot with ridged edges so I have a place to put lunch down and 2 more cupholders.

Because, why not?: https://insideevs.com/news/700148/te...dy-swap-video/

First, the boys took a fire-damaged Model S and a $500 junkyard Odyssey to see if the two would even be a good fit together. And guess what? After several days of cutting and test-fitting, the washed-out minivan body proved to be a great shell for the all-electric base, thanks in no small part to that 1.6-inch wheelbase difference.

But it wasn’t exactly a plug-and-play kind of thing, so work continued to put the body on top of the working gutted Plaid that managed sub-9-second runs on the drag strip. Angle iron retainers and extensions were fabricated to bolt the steel body on top of the aluminum Tesla chassis, and a brand-new windscreen was also put in place of the old, cracked one.

The car looks like a regular 2001 Honda Odyssey from the outside and–except for the Unplugged Performance wheels and Plaid brake calipers–gives no hint of what lies beneath. Inside, however, it’s a different story, as is usually the case with extreme builds like this one.

The original 2020 Tesla Model S dashboard, yoke steering wheel, and front seats are part of the picture, but that’s about it, at least for the moment. The guys who did all the work say that they’ll continue to integrate as many Model S components as possible, but as things stand today, there are no rear seats, the rear doors don’t work because the bottom latch had to be cut off, the windows don’t work, and the lights don’t do what they’re supposed to. But the original hood latch was retrofitted and it can even open the slab of junkyard metal from the central touchscreen, which is nice.

I got a set of the Nokian Outpost APT last year expecting 50k+ out of them. I'm pretty good about rotating every 10k and when I went to do that a few weeks ago at 30k the rears were under 40% and look like they'll truly suck if it snows. I looked closely at the fronts yesterday and they're all split and cracked, they look like they're 10 years old and lived a hard life, they're still over 60% but the traction has been horrible for the last few weeks. Production date is June 2022 so it doesn't make much sense. I'm bummed because after looking at the details of the 60k treadwear warranty I can't meet it so I'm SOL. I've had such good luck with Nokians in the past that I want to go back with it even though this happened and get a set of the new, made in America, WR G5 in the 106 XL because that should be more than sufficient for a minivan in the mid 4k weight range. All I can figure is this last model made in Russia just didn't have the same QC that they always had before. Thoughts?