Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Uhm, the battle is already lost. Just let it all get around into the carpet and if you ever get stuck in the woods and need food just a couple of licks will get you everything from caffeine to organic nuts.
    Deez nuts!

Tell me about your minivan

Wait what? I used to think about downshifting w/ automatic transmission but Click and Clack said brakes are for braking. I agree.
    I put on way bigger brakes on the Odyssey when they were ready for replacement and it worked perfect.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Wait…what? C’mon man. I could see being wary of old automatics downshifting too much. But you should downshift on grades even with upgraded brakes. Hot brakes don’t work well in emergency situations. You have much more control of the entire vehicle in a lower gear.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Wait what? I used to think about downshifting w/ automatic transmission but Click and Clack said brakes are for braking. I agree.
    I put on way bigger brakes on the Odyssey when they were ready for replacement and it worked perfect.
    Click and clack weren't always right. And some mechanic advice changes as technology does. With a modern auto, the transmission will make the shift, and hold higher revs. The torque converter is engaged only for the shift, then it's the same load on the transmission as when you're cruising. So effective impact is the same as any other shift. There is a reason that almost every pickup truck out there in the last 10 years has been programmed to auto downshift and engine brake when going downhill.

Minivan brakes weren't designed with the expectation of long, repeated downhill descents at 80mph.

OK. Cool.
    It was a 2005 Odyssey and the transmissions were known to be about the size of a matchbook though.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I had a fwd sienna. With good snpw tires it was great. If youve owned a sienna ypu know that they are as maintenance free as an ICE car can be.

Ive known 3 odessy owners who had transmission issues.

If you dont mind a shitbox dodge caravans are indestructible but shitty.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    I feel like I'm gonna end up with a new one at this point.
    I'm doing the self-quote only to point out how comically naive I was to the dumpster fire that is the new car market (especially for Siennas). Fortunately for the salesmen and women out there, the used car market is also a total dumpster fire, so someone is still going to make a killing off me.

Although at this point, putting a bit of money into our '09 Sienna and driving that thing even deeper into the ground is likely the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Although at this point, putting a bit of money into our '09 Sienna and driving that thing even deeper into the ground is likely the best option.
    This is where I’m at regarding my Pilot. Im gonna replace it with a AWD Sienna but probably not for a while. I need to add another vehicle to the fleet soon too but we’re on the fence there too. Hopefully things calm down. I hate paying full price

I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey and, with studded tires, it remains the worst winter car I've had. I also have a 2017 Chevy Bolt with Blizzaks and that small ride is far better in snow/ice. For us, that's mainly the 20-minute drive to our local hill. Otherwise, I absolutely love the Odyssey -- enormous amount of space, very well laid out, and completely trouble free engine. For summer camping/biking/kayaking trips (with three kids), it's fantastic.

The wife drives a 15 Grand Caravan R/T with blizzaks she says it drives almost as good as the grand cherokee in the snow.. Average is about 20mpg not great but not terrible. We put a queen air mattress in the back with all the seats down and it fit perfectly I'm 6'2 and fit comfortably sleeping at a rest stop... We bought it with 80k on it then found out it was an Avis rental its entire life.. Have put 50k on it since with only one big problem with a flat spot on a cam lobe.

Just bought a new to me car so will be letting the van go before any other problems could rise!

If you are looking for a new Toyota I cannot recommend the Costco auto program enough.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    What kit is installed? What’s the cost?

One thing that deters me from the Sienna is its hideous looks in the newest generation. It's going to look really outdated in 5-10 years.

Name:  sienna.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  81.0 KB
    Last edited by funkendrenchman; 04-13-2022 at 09:41 AM.

FWIW, and speaking strictly as a CPA, it was a no brainer, so to speak, putting around $6k into my 2001 Solara convertible, about 1 yr ago, that at the time was at about 252k miles. "New" rebuilt transmission, new leather seats were the big ticket items, other odds & ins, vs. newer used or new car. I'm at about 265k now, and I don't believe I'll have any trouble getting another 3 years out of it. Thing can take so much abuse, but looks pretty damn good for 20+ years old.

IMO, you are way, way better off finically putting some $$ into an older car now, vs. trying to buy. And yah. Toyota. period. Cheepest car to own/maintain, I've ever owned. The wife's 1986 accord was close, but I still think the toyotas are cheeper and at least as durable.

I've thought some about audi converts, but JHC german cars are expensive to own. still have nightmares about Maitenance I and II on the 325ic I had for 10 years...
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    One thing that deters me from the Sienna is it’s hideous looks in the newest generation.
    Heh. IMHO the rear of the new Sienna in white looks like a stormtrooper helmet. Much aggro in a minivan. The dark green they have is a damn fine color.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

They are ugly as fuck. Like a Subaru. But the design has grown on me and the more of them that pass by me the more I'm okay with this particular abdomination. They look nice from above when I am driving something taller. And the Green one I saw did look awesome.

I think Toyota is on to something making the hybrid standard and bringing the hybrid/awd peoples van to the masses. In theory at least, current market conditions preventing that from happening for the time being.

Sienna Prime AWD would really be something.

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Heh. IMHO the rear of the new Sienna in white looks like a stormtrooper helmet. Much aggro in a minivan. The dark green they have is a damn fine color.
    We have the green one. I'm not gonna call it a great looking vehicle, but it's not the ugliest thing I've ever driven.

At the end of the day, it's a minivan. Function over form.

The wife found a green one at a dealer nearby, its a non starter.

"That sure is a hot lookin' minivan you got there."

-Literally Nobody Ever

Get it for the function, as toast pointed out. No other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zander View Post
    The wife found a green one at a dealer nearby, its a non starter.
    Did she try pushing the start button?

Latest generation Sienna is fugly. Like they tried to make the fugliest vehicle that people will still buy. N-1 style of Sienna looks pretty damn good in my opinion.

Cuz youre so ugly, ugly, ugly
    You're so U.G.L.Y you ain't got no alibi
    You ugly yea yea you ugly

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Did she try pushing the start button?
    I laffed.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Latest generation Sienna is fugly. Like they tried to make the fugliest vehicle that people will still buy. N-1 style of Sienna looks pretty damn good in my opinion.

Cuz youre so ugly, ugly, ugly
    You're so U.G.L.Y you ain't got no alibi
    You ugly yea yea you ugly
    This reminds of a friend’s reaction when he saw a fugly taupe/ beige Tacoma:

“Toyota, that’s where colors go to die.”

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I have never cared one whit about how my car looks, I am all about function. I used to be interested in a Honda Element, and that thing looked like a fucking toaster.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Wait…what? C’mon man. I could see being wary of old automatics downshifting too much. But you should downshift on grades even with upgraded brakes. Hot brakes don’t work well in emergency situations. You have much more control of the entire vehicle in a lower gear.
    I started down mount Washington. Found out I had no first gear.

That was fucking scary. Kept stopping to keep the brake fluid from boiling in the calipers.

Fuck that.

Downshift as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    What kit is installed? What’s the cost?
    The kit was $750 when I bought it. Install was $1000 with alignment.

Now that I've done the suspension on my other car in my backyard...I'm pretty sure I could do this kit in a weekend pretty easily with a friend to assist.

The current gen AWD is actually easier to lift than previous because there is no driveshaft running to the back as the rears are powered by electric motors.