Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Uhhhh, this is the very lame, full-time people mover, "gee whiz I'm really excited this van comes with a built-in vacuum so I can clean up all these cheerios" van thread. All the cool adventure road trip vehicles are over in the Ski RV thread.

Also, for anyone playing along at home, during my van hunt I've discovered that '14 - '16 Siennas are dinosaurs that no modern family should be caught dead in, '17's and some of '18's have very questionable transmissions (or maybe they're fine, good luck finding out if you buy one), '19 and '20's mostly cost as much as hybrid '22's, but hybrid '22 are either a year out from delivery, or if you call every single Toyota dealer in America, every single day, you might get one tomorrow.

So we folded and threw some money at a low mileage '16 XLE AWD that my kids will certainly destroy in a year.

And if anyone in Bozeman wants my previous '09 AWD Sienna with very minimal child puke and crushed bananas on the seats hit me up.
    Enjoy. If it's low miles (<50k), lift it now as the CVs arent' totally broken into one angle. Happy to send you design files for my fold out bed that stores behind the rear seats and the side kitchen. But honestly, if you want a quick and easy "weekend camper" option that can be put in/taken out in ~15 min, this dude makes quality stuff at fair prices: https://www.mountainpoptop.com/fold-out-bed

Man that bed is sweet! I have a truck I usually use if we need an in vehicle camping option, but the Sienna would be 10x more comfortable

Where I live, one needs screens if ya want the windows and doors open.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Man that bed is sweet! I have a truck I usually use if we need an in vehicle camping option, but the Sienna would be 10x more comfortable
    It's very nicely made -- good materials and workmanship. He's just across town from me so I've been by his place a few times when I was working on building my own. You and the ms. take the bed, kick the kids out into a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Where I live, one needs screens if ya want the windows and doors open.
    I bought a big sheet of bug netting, cut to fit size, and glued in a few magnets. Cost about $20 to do all six windows in the van. Pack away easily and only use them when traveling through the midwest/east.

Welcome to POUNDTOWN

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    FWIW, relatively simple to put a small lift on the Odyssey (or Sienna, or Pacifica) for extra clearance: https://www.journeysoffroad.com/

I've got 40k on my lifted Sienna with no issues related to the lift except a loss of about 1mpg. Still drives like a minivan. But I don't worry about going up to higher-clearance trailheads. With lift + 1" larger AT tires I've got 10" of clearance.
    Just lifted my 14 FWD Sienna, motivated by this thread.

Now I’m in the market for tires (lots of life left on the current ones but the temptation for beefier rubber is now strong).

Care to share what tires you went w including size? How beefy can one go post lift? I don’t know shit about tires or sizing, detail is appreciated.

I finally pulled the trigger on a new AWD Sienna but have no idea when it’ll arrive. Now that I’ve put down a deposit, I expect GM to announce they’re bringing back the Astro in 3 2 1…

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I finally pulled the trigger on a new AWD Sienna but have no idea when it’ll arrive. Now that I’ve put down a deposit, I expect GM to announce they’re bringing back the Astro in 3 2 1…
    How’d it go purchasing it? My wife keeps pushing to get one. I still feel like we run the current cars for another 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude2340 View Post
    Just lifted my 14 FWD Sienna, motivated by this thread.

Now I’m in the market for tires (lots of life left on the current ones but the temptation for beefier rubber is now strong).

Care to share what tires you went w including size? How beefy can one go post lift? I don’t know shit about tires or sizing, detail is appreciated.
    I went 235/65 r17 on mine. Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. Some Michelin x-ice in the winter. No rubbing at lock but doesn't look particularly big. I believe Journey's has beta on which fit, but my replacements I'll probably go up to 245. Personally, I liked my previous Falken AT3W more than the current Discoverer so may go back in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    How’d it go purchasing it? My wife keeps pushing to get one. I still feel like we run the current cars for another 2 years.
    Buddy just placed an order for one via Costco and was very happy with the process/price.

If you don't anticipate too much winter highway driving, altimax arctic's are a great winter choice and available in XL load for better sidewalls. They're a bit soft if you're doing 80+ every trip though.

I picked up a washer and dryer in my 2011 Sienna today. It's like a pickup truck, but enclosed.

I picked up a washer and dryer in my 2011 Sienna today. It's like a pickup truck, but enclosed.
    This is exactly why they’re cool. Also, that same vehicle takes 7 people skiing.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I have a deposit down on a 22 awd sienna. I was originally told 8 to 12 months by most dealerships but I think I'm going to get one in four and it will be at msrp, not above which many are trying to charge. I think I'm going to do the 2-in lift and it's always encouraging to hear people's success with it as it's relatively new. I'm also hearing about adding airbags but haven't investigated that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    This is exactly why they’re cool. Also, that same vehicle takes 7 people skiing.
    Mine is the 8 passenger because it's not AWD. But I don't have a rocket box because the max occupancy was usually 5 plus gear. Kids slowboards fit in the trunk and they complained about my skis between the seats since we didn't need the 8th seat deployed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    I have a deposit down on a 22 awd sienna. I was originally told 8 to 12 months by most dealerships but I think I'm going to get one in four and it will be at msrp, not above which many are trying to charge. I think I'm going to do the 2-in lift and it's always encouraging to hear people's success with it as it's relatively new. I'm also hearing about adding airbags but haven't investigated that yet.
    Not sure if the new gen got stiffer springs in rear. 3rd gen is soft if you load up the back with people/gear.

I installed the airlift kit over about two beers. Run it at 15 most the time and 25 when really loaded. I like it. Keeps the hitch off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    exactly
    Ive had two compact pickups since I got rid of my Safari and neither of them were as useful.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    OK so far but I am lucky in that my SIL does the taxes for a Toyota dealership. So I’m not getting gouged. They said 5-8 weeks but when I told them I wanted an SE, they said it might be faster. I guess the more expensive ones are taking longer. My local guy was adding 2-5k to MSRP- depending on his mood I guess. Fuck that.

I need a minivan I've been searching for a week or so and finding, as expected, that the used market here is nearly as bad as the rest of the industry but there are some models that seem to have slid under the radar. Either that or their reputation for reliablity sux. I'm seeing Mazda 5's, Chrysler T&C and Kia Sedonas lower than others.

I've heard that the ChryCo vans are gremlin plagued over about 110k, why and are there exceptions? I like the interiors more than the others and the later ones with the Pentastar lump ought to have pretty reasonable power. What about the AWD Dodge Caravans, are they gremlin plagued too?

A local dealer made a point that some years of the 5 are getting hard to find parts for, is this actually a concern? Are they generally reliable enough that this shouldn't be a disabling problem? I like the thought of a 5 speed manual in a van and if they're tall enough inside for bikes with the wheels on I'll deal with some quirks.

The Sedona looks kind of plain compared to most other than the Dodges. How do they drive, are they reliable enough, are service and parts easy enough, how do the interiors stand up against the others?

I'm also coming across some older AWD Siennas that are nicely priced but not until they get over 150k, is this a problem or are they typical Toyota and good for 200k with basic maintenance? I've heard about questionable transmissions on some years of the AWD Sienna, are 2010/11 prone to that issue? What else should I look at if I go to check out some of these?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I need a minivan I've been searching for a week or so and finding, as expected, that the used market here is nearly as bad as the rest of the industry but there are some models that seem to have slid under the radar. Either that or their reputation for reliablity sux. I'm seeing Mazda 5's, Chrysler T&C and Kia Sedonas lower than others.

I've heard that the ChryCo vans are gremlin plagued over about 110k, why and are there exceptions? I like the interiors more than the others and the later ones with the Pentastar lump ought to have pretty reasonable power. What about the AWD Dodge Caravans, are they gremlin plagued too?

A local dealer made a point that some years of the 5 are getting hard to find parts for, is this actually a concern? Are they generally reliable enough that this shouldn't be a disabling problem? I like the thought of a 5 speed manual in a van and if they're tall enough inside for bikes with the wheels on I'll deal with some quirks.

The Sedona looks kind of plain compared to most other than the Dodges. How do they drive, are they reliable enough, are service and parts easy enough, how do the interiors stand up against the others?

I'm also coming across some older AWD Siennas that are nicely priced but not until they get over 150k, is this a problem or are they typical Toyota and good for 200k with basic maintenance? I've heard about questionable transmissions on some years of the AWD Sienna, are 2010/11 prone to that issue? What else should I look at if I go to check out some of these?

Caravan/T&C are last generation vans. They're price engineered at this point and very long in the tooth. Mazda 5's aren't a full size minivan, but like a super-sized honda fit.
    Kia's van options have been generally regarded as decent, but depending on what you want to do with it, it may not work. They're designed more as "luxury retiree vehicles" than multifunctional minivans, so I recall things like seat removal etc. is much harder than stow and go or Honda.
    As far as years/issues - each run has it's own issues, as Odysseys have bum transmissions in some aught years and the lower spec transmission on the first year or two of the recent update.
    I also personally would not buy a minivan with over 100k if you want to keep it for any length of time, as minivans generally are beat like rented mules and have a higher proportion of short trips given school activities etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post

The 2010 is Gen 2 Sienna with the 5 spd. The 2011 is gen 3 with the 6 speed. Both are reliable transmissions as long as you treat them reasonably (e.g. fluid change every 80k, more if you're towing) and will easily go 250-300k. Basing this on chatting with a bunch of owners on the AWD Sienna group on FB. I've only got 82k on mine. Currently on a 4500mi round trip drive.

2017 introduced the direct injection engine and 8spd tranny which isn't quite as universally liked. But does give you an extra ~3mpg.

Chryslers one redeeming feature is their minivans.

Mazda 5 is tiny, like I can reach over and open the front passenger door tiny, no room for my feet tiny, but it does move me & the kids + a friend or 2 around the city and it’s small for city parking and the sliding doors are nice for parking lots.

Been in a 2022 Pacifica rental this last week and it is really nice, loads of room etc…

Just bought a Nissan NV200 mini cargo van. Unfortunately it'll be used mostly as a work vehicle but I plan to take it on a few camping trips. These things are pretty nice as campers.

Yeah. I had a first gen 5 with a stick.

It's more of a really spacious compact car than a small minivan. They drive great, but I don't think there's the width to lay a bike in there with the wheels on. No chance it's standing up.

That said, it's the perfect car for a family with two or less young kids. And I never needed a roof box because the skis fit between the 2nd row seats.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    Mazda 5 is tiny, like I can reach over and open the front passenger door tiny, no room for my feet tiny, but it does move me & the kids + a friend or 2 around the city and it’s small for city parking and the sliding doors are nice for parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Yeah. I had a first gen 5 with a stick.

It's more of a really spacious compact car than a small minivan. They drive great, but I don't think there's the width to lay a bike in there with the wheels on. No chance it's standing up.

That said, it's the perfect car for a family with two or less young kids. And I never needed a roof box because the skis fit between the 2nd row seats.

x3

We have a 2007 with stick. It's a great small family urban car, van doors ftw. Not worthy of highway or mountain driving due to tin-can-factor and lightweight fwd non-traction.

Great input on the 5 and Sedona seats, those are off the list. I'm liking the AWD Siennas from 10/11 so I think I'll focus on those. Honda was already off the table because I just won't buy another CVT vehicle, same for Nissan. Looks like if I can find a T&C, maybe from down south with lowish miles, it wouldn't be a bad second choice.

Does the Odyssey have a CVT? I thought they were all regular automatics.