Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Tell me about your minivan

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Does the Odyssey have a CVT? I thought they were all regular automatics.
    You’re correct, typical automatic.

Just turned 100k on our ‘14 Odyssey. Celebrated by hauling some plywood and 8 buckets of asphalt sealer, then hauled a vanload of kids to various destinations. I honestly love this vehicle. The wife is getting the new vehicle bug. We’ve talked about replacing it with a car but can’t imagine not having a minivan. I see an AWD Sienna in our future.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Great input on the 5 and Sedona seats, those are off the list. I'm liking the AWD Siennas from 10/11 so I think I'll focus on those. Honda was already off the table because I just won't buy another CVT vehicle, same for Nissan. Looks like if I can find a T&C, maybe from down south with lowish miles, it wouldn't be a bad second choice.
    Don't shy away from FWD over the AWD. With good snows it's is a capable machine. Less to go wrong. BTW, the AWD relies on run-flat tires and does not have a spare. This limits the choice in tires and drives up cost. At least that's what I've heard, I don't own the AWD. However, if I did, I'd probably buy a spare and either have to keep it in the vehicle or on the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    ^i have a donut spare for my ‘06 AWD. Fits in the cargo well on the drivers side so you’re still able to fold the passenger side 3row down for hauling some boards.
    Did it come like that or you bought the spare and it happened to fit?

^previous owner bought the spare when he bought the van brand new

Or you could just hire a nascar crew to follow you in a support vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Don't shy away from FWD over the AWD. With good snows it's is a capable machine. Less to go wrong. BTW, the AWD relies on run-flat tires and does not have a spare. This limits the choice in tires and drives up cost. At least that's what I've heard, I don't own the AWD. However, if I did, I'd probably buy a spare and either have to keep it in the vehicle or on the roof.
    The 2wd will plow itself right off the road on a downgrade turn.

Ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lolololololol. Cono Posting L’s as if it’s knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    The 2wd will plow itself right off the road on a downgrade turn.

Ask me how I know.

How would AWD have prevented an off-the-road-in-a-downgrade-turn scenario?

I have a FWD Sienna. I have no illusions that the AWD is a superior snow vehicle. But at the time budget simply didn't allow the 7-8k markup I was seeing in my local market. (Plus I had just had a rear diff blow up on me on the highway and was pissy about AWDs extra maintenance). It has been an OK snow commuter with snows. I carry chains for emergencies which I haven't put on yet except to practice. I have used my traction boards a couple of times to get out of deep trailheads -- probably unnecessary with the AWD.

The places where the FWD lets you down in my experience of ~150 ski days in it is uphill traction (weight shifts off the front end and grip is lesser) and deep, loose snow. I've driven over Red mtn pass in a good snow storm at night in it comfortably. And road tripped from CO to BC. It isn't confidence inspiring at crappier winter trailheads but it's a road trip machine. With a 3" lift, AT/Snow tires, and a big ass roofbox and awning I've been averaging 22mpg cruising at 75. That goes up a couple mpg if I dial it to 60 but i'm not willing to do it.

I will say, coming from an AWD Astro which is RWD biased until AWD kicks in on slip -- that having your steering and power run through the same wheels gives less confident driving dynamics in snow in general, especially high speed lane changes through snow piles. It's not really a safety thing, but that feeling of your steering wheels slipping with power pushing through them is unsettling until you get used to it.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 07-18-2022 at 09:33 AM.

^he has no idea what you’re talking about but his feelings tell him the FWD is to blame.

^he has no idea what you’re talking about but his feelings tell him the FWD is to blame.
    It’s Monday dude. Try to get something done around your mothers house before you start stalking people.

^sure dude. Pointing out how dumb you are is totally stalking. Get a brain, Moran.

Well that got out of hand quickly.

The only time I’ve had winter traction problems with a fwd 2006 sienna with fresh snow tires was starting from a stop on an icy uphill incline. Regarding mileage, we get about 20-22mpg on the highway with the std roof rack (no box). I do not have a lead foot. Cruising speed between 70-80. My 6’2” teen and the short adults find the back seats pretty uncomfortable.

I thought Odysseys were cvt's, good knowing they're not but they are often a few $$ more than the others. What years have the bad rep for the trannies?

…..let’s get this back on track.

I would not hesitate buying a 150k+ mile Odyssey or Sienna provided there are service records of major items. If service records aren’t available, best judgment of seller using pointed questions on maintenance combined with the overall condition and driveability of the vehicle should suffice. Whatever major headache you could encounter will never amount to what you dealt with in the Rover.

Pre 04 BUT all AT's can blow up if you don't change fluid and overheat them. Be aware 05 and newer can have what's called VCM on some of them that can cause premature cylinder ring ware. It's active cylinder management that shuts down certain cylinders to reduce fuel consumption but it can be defeated fairly easily. Odyssey's are a bit more spendy because the 3.5 is a fairly robust and proven engine. Power sliding doors can be a weak point but again they can be addressed with a handful of microswitches if your handy with a soldering iron and dvm.

Good point on the power sliding doors. I use mine sparingly as there’s a switch to disable them. Is there a disable switch for those on the odysseys?

Both sliding doors got fixed under recall on my '11 Sienna. Broken cables. However, I lucked out because the program was about to end when they broke so I just barely made it in under the wire.

So basically if I find the right Odyssey, don't be afraid of it. Good. I think the AWD Sienna is more my thing though. Off to do some searching and test driving. Thanx guys.

^they are damn nice to have in certain situations but for everyday opening and closing…turn em off!

Cargo space is bigger in the Sienna. And I believe the back hatch opening is bigger as well. But I'm a total Toyota homer. So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I’ve heard a bunch of horror stories about getting stuck waiting for somebody to special order the tires but you can order the Sienna AWD with a spare. I did. I think it’s going to complicate the seat folding process but I don’t want to go without a spare.

Cable motor broke on my sienna passenger slider. Outside of warranty. I removed the cable. Still works ok manually after 4 years.

Haha, I'll end up being that asshole with a cargo rack up top because of some of the things we move around so I could just keep the spare up there GOTOS style.

^they are damn nice to have in certain situations but for everyday opening and closing…turn em off!
    In our old, old van we turned em off because of the kids. They got up to all manner of shenanigans. Including riding the door as it opened and closed. FML. Then we turned them on again because the kids kept trying to slam each other in them. Seriously, FML.