Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Lol, Vail isn’t doing any investigations. They’re trying to create a false impression of safety despite their failure to mitigate properly or maintain closures. Liability releases put all the risk on the skier anyway, we deserve to know they failed to manage their terrain safely.
    A couple seasons ago I read articles and forum posts blaming the Vail takeover of W/B for slower alpine openings, and early closings. Now it's the opposite?

There is no conspiracy here. Trying to control things in a natural environment has risks, and when things like this happen they 100% will complete an investigation. If not for the PR and 'lets-learn-from-this' goal, then at least a legal one. Vail isn't stupid, they're just greedy.

Ski resorts get sued all the time. That fine print on the back of your pass only goes so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    fify
    LOL....seems a social media joke was taken serious by the usual political tools of TGR.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    A couple seasons ago I read articles and forum posts blaming the Vail takeover of W/B for slower alpine openings, and early closings. Now it's the opposite?
    Multiple inbounds slides point to yes.

Vail is not a trustworthy source of information. They're still out there telling their shareholders they have excess capacity at their premier resorts; anything for a buck (or a loonie or whatever Canadaians call them.)

Multiple inbounds slides point to yes.

Vail is not a trustworthy source of information. They're still out there telling their shareholders they have excess capacity at their premier resorts; anything for a buck (or a loonie or whatever Canadaians call them.)
    I don't exactly trust them, I'm just saying their claim of not wanting to share images or information until an investigation is complete isn't totally out of the ordinary. It's what happens next that means something.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    LOL....seems a social media joke was taken serious by the usual political tools of TGR.
    who brought in the politics?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    At least they ASKED....twitter would have just removed it and said it was misinformation.
    Maybe Mr Tesla will change that.

Quote Originally Posted by miserywhip View Post
    Thanks, that makes more sense.

ETA Still not to say I agree with the decision, but they at least have a straight-laced argument for it?
    I could see this for some kind of equipment failure, like a chair falling off the haul rope, but posting a photo of the aftermath of a natural phenomenon such as an avalanche seems quite different to me.

Didn't appear to be shared by an employee:

It was shared by a former patroller who writes a daily blog as an avalanche educator.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Their reason is that they don't want images shared of an incident until an investigation is complete, so take that as you will.

We do know that people will look at photos, jump to conclusions, and spread rumours. Kind of makes sense to me, especially if people (guests?) were involved.

I withhold my increase of Vail dislike until I see what they do after the investigation is complete.
    Boot-licker....
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

^^^ Wow, stopped clock and all that.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Vail isn't going to release any conclusions from an "investigation", even if they are investigating. Dirty little secret of the ski industry is that death and injury stats are held close to the chest, and they are not required to make those known to the public, so why would they want this public?
    You're partially right. But deaths are public record.

No tourist business is going to choose to release death statistics. But you can get them if you're really interested.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Didn't appear to be shared by an employee:

It was shared by a former patroller who writes a daily blog as an avalanche educator.
    Are you sure he's a former patroller? Per the Whistler thread he's a current Vail employee.

Deaths and their causes are public record is a pretty tough concept, eh Benny?

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Deaths and their causes are public record is a pretty tough concept, eh Benny?
    DOOD, HE’S ALWAYS RIGHT!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

But the industry keeps no central database, from what I understand. And doubtful they would welcome a good investigative journalist or blogger attempting to establish such a record.
    There's a thread on this issue:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...r-safer-people

This does a good job of explaining it:

Exploring the systemic lack of transparency surrounding accidental ski deaths in Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    insert punk song 'people who died' here (Jim Carroll band)
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    You're partially right. But deaths are public record.
    Coroner's report will be public. But Coroners aren't avalanche experts (in British Columbia they aren't even required to have medical training). MAYBE the coroner will seek advice from an independent avalanche expert, maybe they won't.

And there will NOT be a coroner's report on the inbounds avalanche that was the subject of the photograph that management asked to be removed - nobody died in that avalanche. (Though there is a chance that the coroner MIGHT decide that the non-fatal inbounds avalanche(s) were relevant to the fatal one).

Uh, guys, I hate to say this but Benny isn’t wrong here.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Yeah. Great, somebody died. How, why, how could it have been prevented, if it could? Forget about alcohol or drugs involved. Helmet, no helmet? Piste, off piste, early day, late day, sunny, snowing like fuck?
    People who report these seem hesitant to point the blame finger. I guess they think its sad enough someone died while recreating.

They seem to usually report if a helmet is worn...though a large % wearing helmets die from injuries not head related ...I'm not sure that helmet info is relevant in those accidents. They should be reporting on questions like you asked.
    it is hard to say, with these inbound deaths, what the cause really is without direct testimony from those involved or witnesses. So many factors could contribute-out of control, collisions, unfamiliar terrain, conditions, human ignorance- and we can't ask the deceased what happened
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

You can’t mitigate all avalanche hazard in alpine terrain, full stop.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Of course not. But, currently, we basically have nothing.

At least alcohol blood test. But that will kill the highly profitable 12 dollar craft beer sales.

But, back to the original subject, at least bring in outside Avi experts to consult with.
    Why? They have one on their own staff
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

The most recent statistical report by the BC Coroners Service on avalanche deaths does not even mention whether any of the deaths were inbounds at ski resorts. It is 8 years old. None of the inquest reports on their website (2007 to date) appear to be avalanche related.
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/bi.../avalanche.pdf

Vibes.

God, that company just sucks more and more.
    Ain't that ripe. From main cheerleader to hater in just a few years. Bravo.

Lol, Vail isn’t doing any investigations. They’re trying to create a false impression of safety despite their failure to mitigate properly or maintain closures. Liability releases put all the risk on the skier anyway, we deserve to know they failed to manage their terrain safely.
    Blah blah blah, do you know how often in bound slides happen at hills with real terrain that can slide? Over the years at Kirkwood I have observed no less than 10 inbounds slides. Some small, some massive. It is impossible to fully tame the dragon. To assume otherwise is just foolish. Failed to manage their terrain safely? Maybe ski in the Poconos if what you desire is 100% safety.

Yeah. Great, somebody died. How, why, how could it have been prevented, if it could? Forget about alcohol or drugs involved. Helmet, no helmet? Piste, off piste, early day, late day, sunny, snowing like fuck?
    And once I have all that info, I plug ii into my algorithm, and it helps me to determine the safest place to ski. And when Awesome.