Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Cle Elum seems like it's pushing it to me. I wouldn't want to be on the other side of the Cascades for a job I'd have to be at in person even once a week. Especially in the winter.
    There’s people commuting over Snoqualmie everyday from Cle Elum and Ellensburg.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    There’s people commuting over Snoqualmie everyday from Cle Elum and Ellensburg.
    Oh, I sure there are. However those people are insane.

Remote work location near Bay Area or Seattle?

Oh, I sure there are. However those people are insane.
    Like everyone else on the west side commuting from the burbs. I wouldn’t do either, that’s why I live here. Mile to work and 12 miles to the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Companies will start requiring more and more in office days and use that as a means to cut workforce. See Yahoo in 2013.
    "Hello Peter. What's happening... Um, I'm gonna need you go ahead and come back to the office. So if you could be here around nine, that would be great.
    Oh, yeah… I forgot. I'm gonna also need you to come in Sunday too. We, uh, lost some people this week and we need to sorta catch up. Thanks."

Fortune: Managers declare WFH is over

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    "Hello Peter. What's happening... Um, I'm gonna need you go ahead and come back to the office. So if you could be here around nine, that would be great.
    Oh, yeah… I forgot. I'm gonna also need you to come in Sunday too. We, uh, lost some people this week and we need to sorta catch up. Thanks."

Sometimes I'm very glad to be a union employee.

That's not really true. You can get a nice house in Seattle for a million. Median sale price in the city is $785k.
    Where? Not anywhere nice…
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Sometimes I'm very glad to be a union employee.
    I'm always astounded when Amazon, Starbucks, etc, workers vote against unionization.
    George Carlin was right.

That's awesome. Crack the whip, round 'em up, bring 'em in. Or fire their asses so they can start their new careers as construction laborers.

I'm always astounded when Amazon, Starbucks, etc, workers vote against unionization.
    George Carlin was right.
    When you know how fucking scared of unions corps like that are, it’s more depressing than astounding.

That’s not how it will work. Companies will start requiring more and more in office days and use that as a means to cut workforce. See Yahoo in 2013.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennago...h=211e92481667
    that worked out great for yahoo didn’t it dipshit?

edit: what the Fucks yahoo? Isn’t that the fund that made a mint from china? They weren’t a thing, were they?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    that worked out great for yahoo didn’t it dipshit?

edit: what the Fucks yahoo? Isn’t that the fund that made a mint from china? They weren’t a thing, were they?
    Actually it did: Under Mayer, yahoo company shares rocketed 254%, from $15 to $53.12, outpacing the tech-laden Nasdaq Composite's 112% gain.

What a cunt she was (and presumably still is): https://time.com/4421972/marissa-mayer-mothers/

Banned WFH, then took virtually no maternity leave, but had a nursery installed next to her office at Yahoo. I mean, that's something everyone can do, right? She might as well have just said "let them eat cake."
    Last edited by The AD; 04-09-2022 at 09:24 PM.

Actually it did: Under Mayer, yahoo company shares rocketed 254%, from $15 to $53.12, outpacing the tech-laden Nasdaq Composite's 112% gain.
    hehe

That’s weak criticism. I read that Time article and it’s heavy handed gender bashing. The reason WFH was banned is because it was so poorly administered. A huge number of employees never came back because they were getting paid for doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    That's what I was thinking. In Seattle proper? $785 gets you something desperate, especially north of the canal. 1m is an ok-ish 2/1.5

1.25-1.5 (OP's budget) will certainly open more doors, but here's a 1M example:
    https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/75...17/home/166842

Regarding some others mentioned above, if I wanted to live somewhere cheaper and didn't need to be in the office every day, I'd certainly pick Cle Elum or Leavenworth or Bham over Monroe.

Unless you have to move to the Bay Area for work, I don’t see why you would unless you really want to be specifically here. I love it and can barely picture living many other places, but it’s so insanely expensive that there are pretty massive sacrifices that are inherent to being here, assuming (like it sounds) that you can make the same amount of money somewhere else.

If you do want to live here or nearby, I think you should probably rent for a year and get a sense of what all these places are like. SF, San Rafael, the peninsula, Auburn, Santa Cruz, Reno…they’re all incredibly different places with unique pros and cons. I like them all (well, maybe not the peninsula so much) but my life would be way different in each of them. I mean, my life is very different living in the Sunset vs the years I spent living in SOMA.

I will say that living in Auburn or other gold country/foothills towns would make skiing magnitudes easier than anywhere in the Bay Area. And still a sort of tolerable commute if you’re only doing it once a week and you can time it to avoid rush hour.

But yeah, it’s been many years that I’ve been sick of hearing all the people who moved here for tech jobs complaining about how much they don’t like it, when I moved here because I loved the area and not to make $$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    1.25-1.5 (OP's budget) will certainly open more doors, but here's a 1M example:
    https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/75...17/home/166842
    Yes, and you can get something bigger with a larger lot if you move to a slightly less desirable area, but still in the city.

I've got to admit after looking at some listings that anything much under a million is starting to get a bit dicey. Certainly you can find houses for that, but there's probably going to be some work needed or they're going to be in an iffy location.

Yes, and you can get something bigger with a larger lot if you move to a slightly less desirable area, but still in the city.

I've got to admit after looking at some listings that anything much under a million is starting to get a bit dicey. Certainly you can find houses for that, but there's probably going to be some work needed or they're going to be in an iffy location.
    Yeah, it’s really gone totally bonkers lately, keeps on getting worse by the week… that 950k example above will probably sell for 1.3 or so. Crazy how high over list things go!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

If working in Redmond, you don't want to live in Seattle proper. Recreation is much closer living on the Eastside unless you want to go to the beach. Pick north, south or east depending on what you want that occasional commute to be. If you are looking to spend $1.5M, you'll be fine finding something. I live 5 minutes from Duthie for MTB and can be at Alpental in 40 minutes most days. Can be in Redmond in 30 minutes. We have houses going for ~$1M for 1700ish square feet (if there's inventory and you win the bidding). 2K square feet is ~$1.5M. (I hadn't looked at pricing lately, holy crap!) Great schools, 10 minutes to I90 to get wherever you want to go.

That said, I'd do Cle Elum area. If weather is bad over the pass, don't go in that day. Tons of people make that commute regularly. I'm still trying to convince my wife to make the move, but with 3 high schoolers, it's not happening anytime soon.

Yeah, it’s really gone totally bonkers lately, keeps on getting worse by the week… that 950k example above will probably sell for 1.3 or so. Crazy how high over list things go!
    And it's a block off 15th which has it's fair share of sketchballs roaming around.

I’m not going to promote the area because we really are full. But most of the tech companies have quietly moving operations here. So the trips to the Silicon Valley have become mute. I currently work an account that is in NYC / Connecticut. I will never fly there. The occasional 5 am zoom calls suck. We do what we have to
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Anyone praising Mayer's stint at Yahoo as a success has no idea what they're talking about. lol... I mean, really? My 8 year old could have been CEO during that period and the stock would still have gone up.

Those gains were almost entirely related to prior investments in China, for those not paying attention.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

On thing people are missing with the WFH thing - global companies have everything be a call anyway because you're so spread out, so WFH or hybrid as standard makes a ton more sense as you get a bigger recruiting pool and carry less RE expenses

If I had to be in Seattle once every few weeks, I'd live in Missoula or Bozeman. Oh wait, that's why a house costs $600k here now. 2x that in Bozeman.
    Settle the lawsuit over my brother's death, I don't even think it'll cover a house here now. Well, technically it's all my sister-in-law's and the lawyer's money, I think.
    The cost of living is going nuts all over the world and I don't know how we as a society can keep up. IDK how/where/when it's gonna break but it won't be pretty when it does.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.