Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    folks living not on the coast or in SF are used to an average high temp in the 60s at the coldest... and that is with the sun shining 29/30 days. 58 and sunny is very different than 48 and drizzly. Yeah, youre right, its NOT cold here, compared to anywhere that has typical winters. But we also have the shortest t-shirt season of pretty much anywhere in the continental US. that said, our summers are the best in the country as long as they arent smokey.

I really think people underrate how miserable March-June can be here if you dont LOVE mountains and have an outdoor/mtn hobby that stokes you out even when its raining. SAD is a real thing and hits hard about that time, especially for someone used to perma-sun and 75 degrees being consistent spring temps.

And lastly, we're full in this state. I moved up here and would like to shut the door behind me. Its the american way.
    Do you consider yourself a local now?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    At what point is google going to make moffet field into a commuter airline hub? Based on the value of my parents postage stamp property nearby (home is a teardown), that land is worth trillions haha.
    I know you're not really serious, but probably never. Aren't South Bay tear downs already worth a million dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Do you consider yourself a local now?

Was i not clear when i said i would like to shut the door behind me? lol Everyone who came after me is a goddamn transplant ruining the place!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I know you're not really serious, but probably never. Aren't South Bay tear downs already worth a million dollars?
    many are worth more than just one.

And yeah, I would imagine air traffic is already a CF with 3 major airports in close proximity. Its a crazy large amount of basically unused land in one of the most valuable locations in the world. there has gotta be a better use for it.

Is the St. James Infirmary still there ? I was stationed at Moffett Field in the late 70s and that was our hangout.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Washington is going to be cheaper than California in general, you get less sunshine but better access to big mountains. If you like surfing/ocean stuff Port Angeles/ Sequim isn't too far from Seattle, is pretty affordable, and has great waves and boating. Skiing access is pretty bad in winter but great in spring if you like touring. If I were you I'd spend a little more and live in the Leavenworth area which is surrounded by the most beautiful mountains in the continental US and is 2.5hrs from Seattle. Summers are hot there though.

The best California option for your situation is the Mt Shasta area. Solid ski access, often get very long seasons, one of the best values in the state housing wise. You could go up as far as Ashland and still be within a reasonable distance, and they have the best MTB trails in the country (except maybe Santa Cruz which is insanely expensive)

Depends on a few things:
    1. If you live out of state and fly in - are you still classified as a CA worker? If so, Sacto is a good option (as others have said). If not, I'd explore other states as the 10% income tax hurts. I'm assuming tech, so you have a lot of other options that can be fairly accessible.
    2. Cities with direct flights to SFO include Reno and Vegas. For Seattle, Missoula and SLC are on the list.

What's your comp/price range for housing?

re California: If the OP is making $200K, has kids, fully contributes to a 401K, and has a mortgage interest deduction on top of the SALT cap of $10,000, then his CA effective income tax rate should be 7%. Marginal tax rate would be 9%, but deductions take it down. It's not nothing.

The price range and size requirements for housing matter a lot. Also, some people could give a crap about size and want nearby amenities. Not clear on OP's desires...

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    You could go up as far as Ashland and still be within a reasonable distance, and they have the best MTB trails in the country (except maybe Santa Cruz which is insanely expensive)
    Thats one helluva hot take.

That said, i really wish we still had my grandparents hobby farm in Ashland still in the family. Great memories spending summers and TG there as a little kid and Mt Ashland was the first place my parents strapped skis on me. Id rather live in Ashland than anywhere else in Oregon i think.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Looking at relocating to the Bay area California for work. Job could be mostly but not entirely remote, so I might need to get to Sunnyvale a day a week, or maybe 2 days every 2 weeks or something like that.

Where should I consider living, to optimize quality of life (access to skiing, mountains, maybe ocean, ...), affordable housing (or at least more affordable than the bay area), good schools, and still within driving distance of the office?

Another option is the same deal with work location near Seattle (probably Redmond).

I know I'm the first one to ever come up with this idea (/s)
    What is your price range for renting or buying? It seems that would help with the recommendations, and I'm also interested in the collective wisdom as I may be in a similar situation myself in 6 months.

If you can deal with driving over a pass and not much on amenities, Easton/Cle Elum could be a nice spot for Seattle. Also Enumclaw. Both have good access for skiing and MTB. Within 90 minutes of airport and Seattle proper.

Prices are going up in both places, but I've been thinking of it myself since I'm permanent remote, at least with this job.

If this works out, I would be expecting a massive increase in compensation (which is a large part of the motivation), and maybe something like $1.5M budget for a house. Unfortunately that doesn't get much in the Bay Area, but probably good for Seattle area and most other places (although many companies are now reducing compensation for remote workers, so that eats into the cost of living savings).

One day per week in office was based on a discussion with somebody in a similar situation, but I'm not really sure what I'll be able to negotiate. This is in tech, but a hw role so more difficult to find fully remote work than sw. I'm trying to decide what percentage remote I want to target, as less time in the office will limit my job/career options, but increase my living options.

Must haves are reliable fast internet and nearby good schools, so probably in or near a decent sized town or city.

So far I'm liking the suggestions of Auburn for weekly Sunnyvale office visits, Reno for bi-weekly, and SLC for monthly or less. If I need to be in-office more than 1-2 days a week I would probably try for Seattle office and live near work.

That's what seattle is best for. I am in a typical neighborhood north of downtown and can pop in the office if I need to within 15 minutes (add a little bit of time to that if traffic ever gets fully back to normal but I doubt it will). Downtown is an hour from lifts with after work night skiing available. It's not epic but it feeds the beast.

There aren’t many small mountain town communities in Washington, but Seattle is much closer to the mountains than Sunnyvale

You could also live someplace around Snohomish or Monroe for pretty good access to Stevens Pass and still be in good striking distance of Redmond. Monroe is about an hour (ideally) from Stevens.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    re California: If the OP is making $200K, has kids, fully contributes to a 401K, and has a mortgage interest deduction on top of the SALT cap of $10,000, then his CA effective income tax rate should be 7%. Marginal tax rate would be 9%, but deductions take it down. It's not nothing.

The price range and size requirements for housing matter a lot. Also, some people could give a crap about size and want nearby amenities. Not clear on OP's desires...
    That pretty much describes me. Two kids, mortgage etc. Don’t do anything weird or “creative” when I file. Effective CA tax rate was just under 5% last couple of years. When I lived in “low tax” Utah it was always around 4%. YMMV of course.

… maybe something like $1.5M budget for a house. Unfortunately that doesn't get much in the Bay Area, but probably good for Seattle area...
    Should have all 1.5M in cash if you want something in Seattle proper… lots of nice homes closer to 2M though!

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    Should have all 1.5M in cash if you want something in Seattle proper… lots of nice homes closer to 2M though!
    That's not really true. You can get a nice house in Seattle for a million. Median sale price in the city is $785k.

Remote work location near Bay Area or Seattle?

If Seattle is an option Cle Elum should be at the top of the list. Unlimited recreation opportunities and so close to Seattle. Second would be between Leavenworth and Wenatchee. Even better recreational opportunities but not as close. I’d skip Leavenworth proper.

If you’re looking for a more mountain town vibe, I would skip anything west of the crest, unless tweaker suburbia is your thing and you hate sunshine.

Remote work location near Bay Area or Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    There aren’t many small mountain town communities in Washington, but Seattle is much closer to the mountains than Sunnyvale
    Really true. I didn’t really get it till I moved here. There’s just no town at the base of ski hills in WA like basically everywhere else. I figured it out on my first trip here ages ago when I saw so many RVs and campers, and I was like “what the fuck, why not just stay in a hotel or rent something?”
    Then I got it.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

3/3 1700 sq ft townhome around the corner just sold for $910K. Basically on public golf course, 200 yards from state park with single track MTB and 3/4 mile to beach where you can put in a SUP. Other units around here go for $1M-$1.1M (that sale was a quick estate sale)

School ratings don’t look great but my kid is doing great. Other places in Marin cost less than Silicon Valley and lifestyle is better. Still Bay Area for better and worse, but $1.5M can get you something decent. (My cousin’s kid just bought a 3/2 Eichler up here for about $1.3M)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...ource=txtshare

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Really true. I didn’t really get it till I moved here. There’s just no town at the base of ski hills in WA like basically everywhere else. I figured it out on my first trip here ages ago when I saw so many RVs and campers, and I was like “what the fuck, why not just stay in a hotel or rent something?”
    Then I got it.
    You have to adjust your expectations of what a mountain town is. Closest city/town to a ski hill in WA is Wenatchee. There’s a few places with ski hills closer but I don’t consider Leavenworth ski hill, Badger or Echo ski areas really, surface lifts, and unreliable low elevation snow pack. I actually like living down low and not dealing with too much snow and the 12 mile drive isn’t too bad. That’s why I think Cle Elum would be great. Around 30 minutes to Snoqualmie and endless bc terrain nearby. Probably 90 minutes to Stevens, Mission and White.

(although many companies are now reducing compensation for remote workers.
    That's great news. And when the economy tanks, remote workers will hopefully be the first employees to get pink slips.

Cle Elum seems like it's pushing it to me. I wouldn't want to be on the other side of the Cascades for a job I'd have to be at in person even once a week. Especially in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    That's great news. And when the economy tanks, remote workers will hopefully be the first employees to get pink slips.
    That’s not how it will work. Companies will start requiring more and more in office days and use that as a means to cut workforce. See Yahoo in 2013.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennago...h=211e92481667

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    That’s not how it will work. Companies will start requiring more and more in office days and use that as a means to cut workforce. See Yahoo in 2013.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennago...h=211e92481667
    Pretty much the same thing. Either way, get 'em the fuck out of here, they are ruining the West.