Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    A cut n paste from gearwizard's page

"Ski and Snowboard Repair Services
    We currently have put ski and snowboard services on hold until fall.

Wax and Edge $35
    Full Tune $45 // Base grinding and minor base repairs included
    Magic Tune $60 // Stone Grinding and minor base repairs included

Base Welds $10 per cm
    Nordic Mount $25
    Telemark Mount $30
    Alpine Mount $40
    AT Mount $60
    Edge "

so this ^^ is what buddy charges, I duno how those prices are but they dont seem excessive ?
    + free spinners!

Seriously, what do they do when they encounter helicoils and toothpicks under the bindings LOL! Reason 7749024039 why never do things you weren't asked to do...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    So we would pull bindings on race skis occasionally, that was like 7–10 years ago, running a different machine and some of the race skis had shit bases and we could apply better pressure and it was more uniform, some times the transition on to the bridge would make a pattern so funny things. But pulling bindings off a ski for no reason is absolutely ridiculous. And this assumes a lot of risk unless they take your boot for every tune, because they can’t set forward pressure back.

anyway. That race tune is 150-225 depending on how you want it finished.
    Thanks for the context! The only shop I’ve ever seen with a bunch of bindings pulled off skis for tuning I know does a lot of race work (and does an excellent job with freeride skis seemingly without pulling the bindings). Makes sense now.

What the hell?! That dude is a fucktard!!

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    That race tune is 150-225 depending on how you want it finished.
    I would hope I'm finished with a handy if I'm paying $225 for a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah I also noticed silicone and the extra tap job, there is just so much WTF in this thread

I'm curious what they charge if it wasn't comped ??
    Extra tap job is shitty, but silicone glue is pretty common. I've been using silicone glue for mounts for years. Doesn't crack and let water in. I still use epoxy for questionable mounts though.

Strange practice for sure. I used to work a tuner and never did we ever unmount anything to run through a machine. The binding bridge was plenty...I wouldn't worry about silicone.

yeah so I just wana point out I did a little goggle investigation on this file which any of you dentists could have done,
    otherwise I got no idea idea wtf this is about and i am not even in America
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

FWIW...The SkiTalk community raves about SkiMd...a guy/shop located here on the EC. I believe I have read he takes off bindings for his tuning process.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    ^^^SkiMD also keeps your boot so they can readjust and test the system after they reassemble.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Dude says he's been doing it for 30yrs.
    That might be part of the problem, needless to say things aren't quite what they were thirty years ago. Grinding without a bridge is definitely easier and marginally more precise, but almost any machine built in the last fifteen-twenty years has compensation built in to accommodate the longer distance the feed wheel has to travel to go up over the bridge, so the grind doesn't change even though the feed wheel is covering more distance than the stone. Higher end race grinders you can select which style of bridge so it's even more precise. Or it's getting run through a robot and your bindings don't matter at all.

There's still a very few handful of tuners that will pull a binding for a more precise grind, but like SVJoey said, that's a premium service, plus you're really fucking splitting hairs there. Any amount the grind would be affected might be measurable, but I bet no one here would ever notice it on the snow if the grain of their structure was 0.5mm shorter underfoot.

The bridge can slip, the feed wheel can skip on the way down the tail of the bridge, the bridge could be warped, the ski could shoot out the back of the grinder and get stuck in a wall. But it's pretty damn easy for a competent technician to get a really nice product out of any reasonably modern grinder without making excess accommodation.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Just because you’ve done something wrong for 30 yrs doesn’t make it right. Lol
    Nobody should be man. That’s just bizarre.
    "Just because you've been doing it a long time, doesn't mean you're doing it right" is one of my fav quotes.

That’s like taking your pants off to pee…
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    That’s like taking your pants off to pee…
    How else are you gonna sit backwards on the toilet and use the tank as a little table to eat your breakfast?

Maybe buddy misplaced/broke his binding bridge and is trying to save face by telling you that's how he always does it? Maybe I'm being to kind by even suggesting that, pulling a customers binding for a run of the mill stone grind is insanity.

Unmounting bindings to tune?

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    "Just because you've been doing it a long time, doesn't mean you're doing it right" is one of my fav quotes.
    Often very true in the ski and construction world. This case being one….maybe. The opposite can often be said too, due to tried and true experience….

Speaking of breakfast, take bacon for instance, doing it the ‘Wright way’:

“We do things a lot like your great grandfather did.
    Rich in both tradition and flavor, the bold taste of Wright Brand bacon has been savored since Roy Wright and Fay Eggleston handcrafted their first batch in 1922. It’s a history of doing things a certain way, and one we don’t plan on changing.”

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Alpinord; 04-06-2022 at 08:13 AM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

How is the tune? Any spinners? Have you checked the forward pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Why are you guys worked up? This is a little known step absolutely critical to a proper tune. Much like removing the bike’s entire drivetrain to true it’s wheels.

Unmounting bindings to tune?

Why is everyone forming a lynch mob? It sounds like a pretty unconventional approach but if there’s no problem I would move on. How many of the people here remount bindings in existing holes? The tap thing sounds like he was chasing glue out of the thread. Silicone glue sounds like a good idea. The guy probably thinks his method gives a better tune and he hasn’t had any issues that you guys are concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Why are you guys worked up? This is a little known step absolutely critical to a proper tune. Much like removing the bike’s entire drivetrain to true it’s wheels.
    Absolutely critical for a proper tune? I'd argue from a purist's, craftsman's and race stock/stiff boot oriented stand point, fine, but from a practical stand point and for performance recreational mortals, probably unnecessary and the difference being unnoticed and negligible at best. I'd want to know if my bindings were being removed by someone for a grind before agreeing to move forward with the job.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I mostly just think it's super funny that someone thinks skis with tech bindings require a tune so precise they warrant binding removal.

And dialing your din down to 0 in the off season..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

What boots did he use to align the tech toe pieces when remounting?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

^exactly. None. Just a simple tune. I'm of the mind when you mount a ski the screw uses some core material. You don't just randomly and regularly reuse holes w no consequence.

Not telling someone you are unmounting bindings is bunk.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yep. Whenever I put new tires on my MTB I like to fully unlace the wheelset and then put them back together first.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Absolutely critical for a proper tune? I'd argue from a purist's, craftsman's and race stock/stiff boot oriented stand point, fine, but from a practical stand point and for performance recreational mortals, probably unnecessary and the difference being unnoticed and negligible at best. I'd want to know if my bindings were being removed by someone for a grind before agreeing to move forward with the job.
    C'mon, you've never pulled the engine from your car to do an oil change?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    C'mon, you've never pulled the engine from your car to do an oil change?
    Montuckeyfried special.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Um, perhaps I didn't turn the sarcasm dial up enough? For clarity's sake, I do not remove my bikes' drivetrains prior to wheel truing. Nor do I remove bindings before ski tuning. Hell, half the time I don't even retract the brakes with a rubber band when waxing and edging, I just do it by hand.