Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    If you know......you know.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Found a great BLM spot past Horsethief last night. Amasa TH least cars I have ever seen at 1030 this morning. Drove right up and parked at the creek an hour ago.

TOTAL MAYHEM OMG!!!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The Jeep to SxS ratio in town right now is about 100:1. I like the jeepers.
    It’s wild. I’ve seen about 3 SxS driving around in the last 48hrs

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Recreational Jeepers been rollin’ around them parts since the first Willy’s came back from WWII. And post war Uranium hunting.

https://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/...-brett-huelen/
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I rode white rim today. Most of the spots on Mineral bottom were open, including some really nice spots on the river before you hit the park.

I’ve never camped there, but there were several camp sites when I went out the road at dawn, and they were still there when I left mid afternoon.

I made a mistake and road a hard tail. This led to me stopping and stretching a bunch. Three different jeeps stopped separately and asked if I needed water or food. They were super nice.

Haha, I made that same mistake a week ago and rode a hardtail for 3 days. Stretching is right. Hoping to be on a full sus when I go back in a few weeks. Cool the jeepers were looking out for you. I’m sure many do get out there without enough food or water.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So to follow up - I drove a bunch of dirt roads in Moab trying to get to know better the camp spots available. I found that there are a lot of empty BLM dispersed campsites even on Thursday-sat nights showing up at sunset every time. Nice sites too. Lots of caveats to that statement but I was wrong on how hard it would be to camp during Jeep week.

found this site empty at 2pm for example, didn’t camp there then I was just browsing but came back to camp and take this pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62E6C7FF-93EF-4939-B31C-7CE7F5C44F96.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	853.9 KB 
ID:	413658

Moab proper was insanely busy though of course. I spent hours on Main Street taking a WFA class and saw the invasion up close

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Moab proper was insanely busy though of course. I spent hours on Main Street taking a WFA class and saw the invasion up close
    Get the mouth-to-mouth while you can.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Moab camping question - been a few times and normally camp and or stay in Fruita as well.

Question- what has Sand Flats Road looked like for camping this year? Planning on arriving this Thursday to camp for a few days. Like SF as I can get cell service to do a few hours of work (TMobile is my provider). Any other areas have decent cell service (I’ve camped at Klondike and that may be an option as well).

Also any Fruita/GJ places to camp other than 18 road (may do this again just wanted to check).

Last question any cool spots close to Eagle to camp next week? Looking forward to riding the trails there as I head to Denver from the Desert for a Red Rocks show

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10 View Post
    Also any Fruita/GJ places to camp other than 18 road (may do this again just wanted to check).
    I frequently camp in the CG up on the Monument. It's pretty, nice sites with flush toilet bathroom, has cell service, and while no trails right from camp, it's not that far to town.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I frequently camp in the CG up on the Monument. It's pretty, nice sites with flush toilet bathroom, has cell service, and while no trails right from camp, it's not that far to town.
    Good advice on the Monument, usually super chill. Be aware that this time of year the Monument CG is all reservation based. Website says they keep Loop C open for first come first served, but when I was there a few weeks ago Loop C was completely closed.

Also FYI- 18 Road camping all requires reservations now, at least any of the designated sites close to riding. This includes a large area that was open to dispersed camping until recently, i.e., the big open area down in the "bowl" east of the main TH. That area has all been developed into designated paid sites over the past year.

Similar changes are underway at Rabbit Valley, but not sure how far along they've gotten.

Rabbit valley, exit 2, but everything is exponentially busier than 10 years ago. I camped alone or with 1-2 other sites on 18 road Up until 6-7 years ago. 2 years ago I got the last 2 campsites and my buddy told me the field will fill with rv on a busy weekend.

Thanks for the info on reservations. It's amazing how quickly things change. Sucks to show up and drive back to a hotel
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
    Good advice on the Monument, usually super chill. Be aware that this time of year the Monument CG is all reservation based. Website says they keep Loop C open for first come first served, but when I was there a few weeks ago Loop C was completely closed.

Also FYI- 18 Road camping all requires reservations now, at least any of the designated sites close to riding. This includes a large area that was open to dispersed camping until recently, i.e., the big open area down in the "bowl" east of the main TH. That area has all been developed into designated paid sites over the past year.

Similar changes are underway at Rabbit Valley, but not sure how far along they've gotten.

Moab camping question - been a few times and normally camp and or stay in Fruita as well.

Question- what has Sand Flats Road looked like for camping this year? Planning on arriving this Thursday to camp for a few days. Like SF as I can get cell service to do a few hours of work (TMobile is my provider). Any other areas have decent cell service (I’ve camped at Klondike and that may be an option as well).
    For Sand Flats- I wouldn't necessarily count on getting a site if you show up Thursday evening, it's prime time. But if you can get there in the morning you should have better luck. Your chances will also improve if you aren't towing anything and can fit into some of the jankier tent sites farther out.

My understanding is that UT has some law that requires a specific percentage of tourism income (hotel tax, etc) is allocated toward advertising. So as places become more popular, they advertise more and it snowballs. #colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    The problem with Moab IMO is not crowded supermarkets and burger joints, it's crowded trails, trailheads, N. Parks and campsites. Avoiding Moab proper is not going to solve any of that.

Mesa County is a different style of riding. But it can be extremely busy when compared trail to trail. It's less overrun with OHV for sure though
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Very. Moab's kinda over to me anymore. Extreme ends of the season or sniping in for a warm day in the off season is good. Other than that, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Dude do yourself a favor, take toast's advice and head to Fruita/Grand Junction. Plenty of good trail over there without the hype. I mean, avoid 18 rd. of course, you won't be missing much there. Don't forget Palisade Rim though, and hit up the brewery after.

Covid didn't slow the population in the outdoors during the past 2 years, there was an absolute explosion of users. Every gear shop in the country had record sell out time. What does your bossman attribute all the new visitors to
    Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Just talked to the boss man again, he said he thinks this year is going to be particularly bad. He said the last couple of years were light because of the pandemic. With all the restrictions lifted, he said folks are coming from as far as Canada. I guess you sign up for trails during the week so they don't get over run. He said the sign ups filled up months sooner than usual.

Hahahaha... Kina an oxymoron?
    It's so crowded nobody goes there anymore.

Thanks all!! Will be towing an small off-road teardrop.

Any other Moab recommendations with cell service?

You get cell service at some of the willow springs disbursed sites. Not sure if you'd have enough bars to do any serious internetting though.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You get cell service at some of the willow springs disbursed sites. Not sure if you'd have enough bars to do any serious internetting though.
    I camped next to a guy with a 25' antenna. He got great service. It was during covid and his three kids were in the camper "going to school" before they drove into the national park.

Ooh cell service is pretty spotty. I’ve found decent ATT service in certain spots on willow, close to the highway and also up by Klondike. But if you start going around the backside of the buttes it goes bad quickly.

Another place w decent cell coverage and good for trailer camping is south of town by area BFE before the hill to hole in the rock. Downside is that you gotta drive to pretty much anywhere.

klondike is now designated camping

Can someone give me a suggestion for a campsite somewhere pretty far outside of town with no cell service? I'm trying to be respectful and not create a ruckus for when you need to "hop on a call". I don't want the regular camping activities of a little partying, some music, dirt bikes and BB guns to harsh your mellow or make it difficult for your kids to do homework.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Can someone give me a suggestion for a campsite somewhere pretty far outside of town with no cell service? I'm trying to be respectful and not create a ruckus for when you need to "hop on a call". I don't want the regular camping activities of a little partying, some music, dirt bikes and BB guns to harsh your mellow or make it difficult for your kids to do homework.

Thanks
    Bravo.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague