Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Anyone around in Moab this weekend? Looking for partner to ride motorcycle around the white rim on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Anyone around in Moab this weekend? Looking for partner to ride motorcycle around the white rim on Sunday.
    Wish I could join again but I bought a business so I’ll be working my ass off for the foreseeable future instead. Have fun!

Just blast it. It's a fun afternoon ride before it gets hot. I'd recommend a sunset chill on the way out.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

My kid has a soccer game in Carbondale, CO on Friday night and in Moab, UT on Sunday late afternoon. I'm willing to pull the camper out either late Friday or very early Saturday, but I'm concerned about trying to find a spot. We don't mind boondocking so long as it's not a crazy to get to spot. Or, is anyone out there that is willing to snag me a spot between Lower Onion Creek and South of town as far west as dead horse or kane creek and I'll Venmo you?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    My kid has a soccer game in Carbondale, CO on Friday night and in Moab, UT on Sunday late afternoon. I'm willing to pull the camper out either late Friday or very early Saturday, but I'm concerned about trying to find a spot. We don't mind boondocking so long as it's not a crazy to get to spot. Or, is anyone out there that is willing to snag me a spot between Lower Onion Creek and South of town as far west as dead horse or kane creek and I'll Venmo you?
    FWIW I came into town last Sunday afternoon and less than half the spots in Sand Fkats were full. Even by Sun evening, any spot in the further D, E F camps that had any rough entry was totally open.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    FWIW I came into town last Sunday afternoon and less than half the spots in Sand Fkats were full. Even by Sun evening, any spot in the further D, E F camps that had any rough entry was totally open.
    I feel like last weekend was a very weird anomaly. Maybe due to the weather forcast?? No idea, but I rolled in Friday afternoon and spots were plentyful a lot of places all weekend and town seemed dead. It was strange and awesome.

Last time we were out this weekend was 2 years ago and we got the last spot on 128 on a Thursday .

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Found a spot out at Klondike

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I’m here now. It’s a clusterfuck, but just the usual Moab weekend type, and not the super-duper type, like when they were doing all of the road construction. Staying in a new, swanky, multi-million dollar condo which is nice, but weird for me. I think of camping and old crappy houses as the Moab vibe.
    Buuuuut…there is unlimited hot water, and a very clean pool, so there’s that.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

^^^^ Sounds like vegas, no? Without the fun parts.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I thought this weekend was relatively tame compared to the last 2 years... Like a throwback to the early 10s lol.
    Bonus is my kid won their soccer game..
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I'm going this weekend. Will be with a friend that hasn't been in 7-8 years and wants to try and find a campsite on Willow Springs Rd late afternoon on a Friday. Am I wrong to think that there is zero chance of that happening? I haven't been in ~4 years, but even back then Willow Springs/Dalton Wells had gotten really popular and I had moved on to more remote areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm going this weekend. Will be with a friend that hasn't been in 7-8 years and wants to try and find a campsite on Willow Springs Rd late afternoon on a Friday. Am I wrong to think that there is zero chance of that happening? I haven't been in ~4 years, but even back then Willow Springs/Dalton Wells had gotten really popular and I had moved on to more remote areas.
    That is all in the new park... so paid spots.

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/utahraptor/

This last weekend I rolled in Saturday morning and found a spot up just past the main Klondike trail head on Long Road. It looked busy-ish up Willow Springs, but I don't know your tolerance for backtracking etc.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Huh. Hadn't heard of that. Considering the shit show areas like this had become they definitely need to manage the camping better. But simply making it a State Park with 100% paid camping is just going to push the unwashed masses somewhere else where camping is free.

That was my thought as well. Was actually surprised to not see any toilet paper streamers as we drove back through the Klondike area

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

well this is a bummer to hear
    willow springs was the last place people could be dirt bags in moab it was a free for all in more ways than one the place was trashed and you weren't sure if the people next to you were tweakers

but the well to do clean cut citizens and county commissioners have been begging the state land board to shut it all down for years
    so where are all the homeless people going to live? I mean the "unhoused workforce members" willow springs was moabs answer to low wage service industry job housing

This thread makes me feel old.

And.

Made me realize it has been a while since I've been to Moab. Around 2007 I think. So you are all saying things have changed a bit since then? hah

When I was there in the spring the raptor park had a sign at the entrance “kiosk ahead” and there was no kiosk. No other designations other than “camping must be paid for”. It was still a free for all. Not sure if they got dnr out there asking for payments now but it seemed a bit preemptive to put up a single sign and ask for payments without providing any services or even designating the boundaries of the park. Utah gov does things in very strange ways. There’s still free camping north of Klondike and south of town by the BFE without too much hassle getting in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    well this is a bummer to hear
    willow springs was the last place people could be dirt bags in moab it was a free for all in more ways than one the place was trashed and you weren't sure if the people next to you were tweakers

but the well to do clean cut citizens and county commissioners have been begging the state land board to shut it all down for years
    so where are all the homeless people going to live? I mean the "unhoused workforce members" willow springs was moabs answer to low wage service industry job housing
    is this actually true or are you just making broad generalized guesses again? You may be right, you have a link? I can't imagine any clean cut moab citizen even going down Willow Springs. BLM is limiting camping everywhere around Moab not just Willow Springs, even for clean cut Sprinter types like you.

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post

And.

Made me realize it has been a while since I've been to Moab. Around 2007 I think. So you are all saying things have changed a bit since then? hah
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moab 023_Original.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	624.1 KB 
ID:	429608

I can confirm your presence in Moab in the early 2000’s.

Any big events next weekend that should be avoided? Headed out for a quick trip with MTBs and motos.

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Hah, right? I haven't camped there in 4-5 years and haven't ridden Porc in 10 years. Don't know where the time went, it certainly doesn't feel that long. Much has changed, much remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    is this actually true or are you just making broad generalized guesses again? You may be right, you have a link? I can't imagine any clean cut moab citizen even going down Willow Springs. BLM is limiting camping everywhere around Moab not just Willow Springs, even for clean cut Sprinter types like you.
    https://moabsunnews.com/2022/01/07/u...within-budget/

they sugar coat it and say "local and state advocates" but if you follow any local politics in moab the powers that be have been complaining about the dirt bag infestation for years

and yeah cool never thought of myself as a clean cut sprinter type but I'll go along with it

eh, to me it's just another Moab zone now regulated due to tons of garbage and shit everywhere, not a war on the homeless. Trash services are hard to get when yer homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    eh, to me it's just another Moab zone now regulated because people are shitbird assholes
    FIFY