Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ... I haven't read the actual study and the media is famous for misinterpreting research:
    They controlled for total calories so it's not surprising that weight loss did not differ. This is an extremely consistent finding in weight loss research--high-carb, low-carb, small meals, big meals, none of it matters for weight loss if total calories are controlled.

The totality of evidence still indicates that IF is beneficial for overall health in real-world conditions.
    The point is that the reason IF shows good results in real world conditions is that it results in people eating fewer calories. The benefit comes from the calorie intake decrease, not from the time restriction. It's simply harder to eat as much if one is only eating in a short time window.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Since this thread has diverged from "what do you eat" to nutrition science, just wanted to link the extensive thread we have on that subject, lots of good info in it: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ight=nutrition Of course, about 65% of that good info comes from DTM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    The point is that the reason IF shows good results in real world conditions is that it results in people eating fewer calories. The benefit comes from the calorie intake decrease, not from the time restriction. It's simply harder to eat as much if one is only eating in a short time window.
    At least in terms of weight gain/loss that is what it seems like on a basic level. Same reason people who sleep less tend to eat more; more opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    That's a big part of it. However, eating late at night and/or right before bed is still terrible for you regardless of overall caloric balance. Panda's work clearly demonstrates this and identifies the biological mechanisms that are responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    You guys should try the Scarsdale Diet, bunch of fucking hen’s up in here.
    Take a lap
    Cocaine and benzos?
    Hmmm

As for morning fasting just black coffee or tea.
    If I have Cream or sugar I can’t make it to lunchtime

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

I eat 4 scrambled eggs every day for breakfast. I hate them, but they keep me full until lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Since this thread has diverged from "what do you eat" to nutrition science, just wanted to link the extensive thread we have on that subject, lots of good info in it: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ight=nutrition Of course, about 65% of that good info comes from DTM.
    Thanks! I will monitor it. DTM is very kind to share his knowledge.

Obviously the intersection of "what you eat" and nutrition science matters. You can't just eat by default, that's made people sick with metabolic disorder. Let food be your medicine!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

I wanted to give a shout out to. Sour cream!

One of my lazy go to dinner’s is stouffers meat lasagna

I was getting bored with it. So now I plop a big glop or sour cream on top right out of the microwave.
    It’s a whole new thing
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I wanted to give a shout out to. Sour cream!

One of my lazy go to dinner’s is stouffers meat lasagna

I was getting bored with it. So now I plop a big glop or sour cream on top right out of the microwave.
    It’s a whole new thing
    POTD

That's a big part of it. However, eating late at night and/or right before bed is still terrible for you regardless of overall caloric balance. Panda's work clearly demonstrates this and identifies the biological mechanisms that are responsible.
    So don’t eat breakfast until 0800-0900 and finish dinner before 1900? Sounds like what I’ve been doing most of my life.

The problem is people eat too much, don’t sleep enough and are largely sedentary. It’s not complicated, eat good food and not too much, exercise daily(even walking counts) and get good sleep. All these fads: IF, keto, light therapy etc are a direct result of our fucked up culture.

I’m currently on a Nutella kick, like a Costco sized jar per week. I talk myself into having a big tablespoon every night. And then I go back for a couple more.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    So don’t eat breakfast until 0800-0900 and finish dinner before 1900? Sounds like what I’ve been doing most of my life.

The problem is people eat too much, don’t sleep enough and are largely sedentary. It’s not complicated, eat good food and not too much, exercise daily(even walking counts) and get good sleep. All these fads: IF, keto, light therapy etc are a direct result of our fucked up culture.

Americans can’t do moderation apparently. It’s either Big Macs and TV or ultra marathons, esoteric supplements and extreme diet choices.

Seems like we would all be better off if we could just teach our kids to grow into healthy eating adults who eat normal diets.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Americans can’t do moderation apparently. It’s either Big Macs and TV or ultra marathons, esoteric supplements and extreme diet choices.

Seems like we would all be better off if we could just teach our kids to grow into healthy eating adults who eat normal diets.
    Everything that I need to know about food came from my grandparents, they were right on the cusp between the lost generation and the greatest generation. Eat real food, cook it. No junk or convenience foods around. I don’t always religiously adhere to that but I try for the most part.

Everything that I need to know about food came from my grandparents, they were right on the cusp between the lost generation and the greatest generation. Eat real food, cook it. No junk or convenience foods around. I don’t always religiously adhere to that but I try for the most part.

While I do eat low carb and do IF, I do think that the bulk of my diet's benefit comes from cutting out sugar/processed foods. When I look back at what I eat every day, it's always almost entirely meat (and meat products like cheese!) and veggies, and nothing that people would call "crap".
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

You people are skiers, you like to go outside and play. That's probably not the same as the obese population. Well not everyone metabolically deranged is obese, but you see what I mean.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

So donÂ’t eat breakfast until 0800-0900 and finish dinner before 1900? Sounds like what IÂ’ve been doing most of my life.

The problem is people eat too much, donÂ’t sleep enough and are largely sedentary. ItÂ’s not complicated, eat good food and not too much, exercise daily(even walking counts) and get good sleep. All these fads: IF, keto, light therapy etc are a direct result of our fucked up culture.
    Pretty much. If you go back through the nutrition science thread you'll see that I'm really not a big IF advocate. The simplicity can make it really effective for some people but it's not a panacea. Huberman's IF episode also was pretty clear that more extreme versions of IF like OMAD don't have good data showing they're clearly superior, not yet anyway. My posts in that thread also are clear that I'm not an advocate for low-carb, keto, high-carb, paleo, or whatever--my position has been very consistent that basically all whole foods are healthy.

The light exposure thing is actually pretty important though. It's far from obvious that bright outdoor light exposure early in the day would affect your sleep that night, but the data is clear that it does. Your internal clock drifts without a daily hard reset which then impacts your ability to fall and stay asleep. Poor sleep then impacts things like glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity directly, makes people less likely to make healthy food choices, makes people less motivated to exercise, etc. If you want to set yourself up for success it does seem to be a highly effective and very simple, easy and no-cost way to do so. Trying to portray getting 5-30 minutes of outdoor light exposure twice a day as an extreme lifestyle choice seems arbitrarily contrarian. I'm just the messenger here, people like Satchin Panda and Samer Hattar have built their careers on this topic and their stance is unequivocal. Look up their work and make your own choices.

I'm a fan of IF and have been doing to for a few years now, but I don't think it's the end all be all for everyone. I found that IF can be addicting and the benefits can have diminishing returns and even be detrimental to goals if not done correctly. From binging on the wrong foods when breaking a fast to negatively affecting metabolism I've learned that I have be careful with how I IF. It took me about 3 months after modifying how I IF before I started seeing the benefits I experienced when I first started IF to come back.

Pretty much. If you go back through the nutrition science thread you'll see that I'm really not a big IF advocate. The simplicity can make it really effective for some people but it's not a panacea. Huberman's IF episode also was pretty clear that more extreme versions of IF like OMAD don't have good data showing they're clearly superior, not yet anyway. My posts in that thread also are clear that I'm not an advocate for low-carb, keto, high-carb, paleo, or whatever--my position has been very consistent that basically all whole foods are healthy.

The light exposure thing is actually pretty important though. It's far from obvious that bright outdoor light exposure early in the day would affect your sleep that night, but the data is clear that it does. Your internal clock drifts without a daily hard reset which then impacts your ability to fall and stay asleep. Poor sleep then impacts things like glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity directly, makes people less likely to make healthy food choices, makes people less motivated to exercise, etc. If you want to set yourself up for success it does seem to be a highly effective and very simple, easy and no-cost way to do so. Trying to portray getting 5-30 minutes of outdoor light exposure twice a day as an extreme lifestyle choice seems arbitrarily contrarian. I'm just the messenger here, people like Satchin Panda and Samer Hattar have built their careers on this topic and their stance is unequivocal. Look up their work and make your own choices.
    I get the science behind light and it’s effects on our health but this is common sense, go outside. That’s what the message should be, get outside while it’s light out every day