Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What new ski do I want (aka the RIP Sickle thread)?

Maybe another ski to consider for Sickle replacement is a Volkl Revolt. Especially if Volkl makes it in a 110mm?

Cause if you ever look at a Revolt 104….put them base to base. It has such long, deep, gradual rocker in both the tip/tail that it almost looks like a rockered ski.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Got it, thanks. Maybe my mindset is too old school, but 1800 g/pair for the Blaze gives me pause.

Sent ptex1 a PM. Nordica even had free demos at Snowbird all weekend.

Oh my. 194 is probably more than I want for my DD, though. I don't ski lightly but ultimately I am only 5-6 155 lbs.
    Ptex1 prefers email over PM. He responds super fast.

Good God, the Squads are enormous. They even look big next to 193 EHPs.
    Waay easier to ski than an EHP. You’re an awesome skier, probably one of the best on this forum. You’ll love the squads, give em a shot.

The wife's first reaction was that they looked ridiculous standing next to me.
    Only if she doesn’t account for your enormous johnson.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Waay easier to ski than an EHP. You’re an awesome skier, probably one of the best on this forum. You’ll love the squads, give em a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Only if she doesn’t account for your enormous johnson.
    Guys, guys, my ego can only get so erect.

Some more Sickle musings…

I still have my pair of 186 cm Sickles. They are special (and hard to directly replace) because they combine the following attributes:

- a flat camber profile for 80% of the ski (super pivoty)
    - a full twin tip
    - pretty heavy at 2200-2250 grams
    - medium, round flex throughout
    - no tip taper or tail taper (lots of effective edge when tipped over)
    - a recommended mount point of -6cm from TC, and ski well even mounted as far forward as -3cm from TC
    - excellent damping (VDS rubber in the tips and tails make a dull clunk when you clack the ski together, plus they have a longitudinal strip of rubber that runs tip to tail for almost the entire ski).

Together, these traits made the Sickle very easy to pivot/pilot, with enough weight to still be pretty chargey in variable conditions, and with plenty of effective edge on firm snow when tipped over given the flat camber and lack of taper. The twin tip and progressive mount point made it capable for flippy/spinny stuff too.

The OG 184cm Devastator was probably the closest thing to it, but it skied a bit shorter and the fore/aft balance sweet spot was smaller. I sold mine.

As far as the feel of the core/damping, the BO 118 is the closest thing I’ve tried to the Sickle. Obviously a different waist width and rocker/camber design though.

J Skis The Metal in a 186cm is pretty close to the Sickle, but the tail taper definitely gives up some effective edge, and the Metals tip and tail are a bit softer.

Never skied them, but the Folsom Primary SRC and the Meridian 107 could be viable options too.

Your Enforcer 110 (if mounted forward of rec) seems like it would work too.

A heavier built WNDR Intention 110 RC or Saba Pro 107 seems like they would close too, although probably still a bit more tapered and reverse cambered than the Sickle.

An old Blizzard Gunsmoke (despite the camber underfoot) always seemed like a reasonable Sickle replacement to me back in the day too, but I’ve never skied it either.

DGamms, awesome writeup. I agree with a lot of what you said. I don’t however think the enforcer mounted forward works as well, it makes the ski too turny as it is already a bit quick across the fall line.

The WNDR 110 does however ski great for it’s weight. It’s not sickle damp, but it’s still pretty good. The Squad has the same rubber feel which is what makes it so awesome.

I’d like to throw in the Faction Candide 3.0 from last year which was much heavier. Skied a lot like a sickle but stiffer.

Anyone want to post up a rocker profile of the sickles? I got a pair last year as I sold my old ones and my rocker profile looks way off.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

If anyone still thinks I'm crazy to suggest the blaze, look at the rocker profile here, then accommodate for a little bit of taper in the tips and the fact that I thought they skied pretty great @ +2cm and they are not as "traditional" as some might assume.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...olkl-blaze-106

People get hung up on mount point relative to the centre of the ski but it makes much more sense to think of the mount point relative to the sidecut.

Nobody thinks you’re crazy. There are so many factors to what we like and gravitate toward. It’s not universal and none of it is really simple.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Haha, pretty much!

I am going to mount them for touring, they are not mounted yet... which is sad. I am not selling them though.

Just thought they should be on your radar since they are stupid cheap used and fairly readily available... and unlike anything else Dynafit ever made.

Cody Barnhill was hired by dynafit from 4frnt and these (plus the Hokkaido 118mm version) where what he designed for them... before Dynafit could cut 450g per ski out of them for the next go-round.
    I agree with all this. I have the Hokkaidos and they are my 2nd favorite ski (only because they are so fat they arent necessarily a DD but I could see the Chugach's being more so)

and people don't believe a Dynafit could make a good charging inbounds ski, so they tend to be silly cheap

I like them most for their ability to pivot on the steeps as well as stability when hauling on non- steeps
    Last edited by babybear; 04-07-2022 at 07:14 PM.
    skid luxury

Just to add some objectivity here (and do some mild dickwaving ), here's a line I skied in January. I pretty much ski like this all day long.

http://youtube.com/shorts/29qECh-7PbA

This is me a few years ago. I still hit stuff like this all the time. Also, this was around noon on an east-facing slope in mid-May, snow was complete mank.

Both vids are on the Sickles. With that^^^ in mind, M-Free or Enforcer 110?
    Only thing I don't like about the enforcer series is the soft forebody and tip. It feels like it plows which can hang you up when going between different snow densities and depths. I would think that, Dynastars being Dynastars, this is less likely on the M Frees.

Thanks for the headsup on the Chugach Marshal! Picked these up for super cheap on FB and got on them today. 188cms weighs about 2100gs and I mounted +2 due to hole conflict/ I have a 25.5 and it seemed like a good spot anyway, same spot as my renegades and ravens.

On to the skis, they truck! Not too much taper in the nose so they pull you a little into turns but the longer radius allows them to go straight aswell. The carbon gives them good rebound on groomers if you really push into them, so they are quite fun to carve. The tail rocker is quite low and gradual so the tails are supportive and there for you, not crazy pivoty like the Hoji skis, a bit more punishing in moguls for example.

In general a great ski and I can’t wait to ski them more and test them back to back with the new Hoji and WNDR 110. Definitely need to grind of the teeth on the death tips though, would not be fun get speared by this ski.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2DD7E2A4-6930-4AE6-910E-F0FA93632740.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	396.9 KB 
ID:	412956

Pivots on a ski with tip notches what a beautiful contradiction

Those heavy Dynafits are some of the more underrated skis out there. I had some 189 Hokkaidos, which I thought were a great resort pow ski. Basically Dynafit Renegades. Ultimately, I don't love full reverse camber so I sold them. But I still have some 184 Meteorites, which have camber underfoot, and they are fun and crazy versatile.

Got everything mounted up last night. Test driving this weekend. Sooo much tail on the Squads but considering the length the mount point isn't that drastic compared to the Enforcers and Sickles.

Boss!

Some ramblings,

I’ve got a pair of the elusive 186’ sickles that we all seem to I love. I to have tried to find another ski with a similar lust for basically all snow conditions.

I’ve got a few skis that have been mentioned by others moment meridian 107’s at 187- love the is ski but it skis much stiffer and shorter then the sickles. It also has a more twitchy feel to it when I pivot, which is something that it really excels at. It does have more rocker in the tips and tails then the sickles. Overall I would say they seem more demanding of a ski then the sickles and need more input ie rolling it further over it engage it. Both skis instill confidence at speed but ifI had to strait line some thing into funky snow I would take the sickles all day.

I’ve got some volk 1’s 186’s as well, another fun zero camber ski. Much more rocker and much softer. It might be a bit soft as a DD but if ya enjoy the sickles I’m sure you could find a pair cheap. Sometimes I ride then in shit snow just for a hoot.

I’ve also got a pair of moment Donner Parties, they rarely come out to play but I mention it just because they are zero camber as well.

Sorry for lack of technical terminology

^^^ no apologies necessary and thanks for your input.

Got everything mounted up last night. Test driving this weekend. Sooo much tail on the Squads but considering the length the mount point isn't that drastic compared to the Enforcers and Sickles.

Those look REAL nice.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Strokes View Post
    Some ramblings,

I’ve got a pair of the elusive 186’ sickles that we all seem to I love. I to have tried to find another ski with a similar lust for basically all snow conditions.

I’ve got a few skis that have been mentioned by others moment meridian 107’s at 187- love the is ski but it skis much stiffer and shorter then the sickles. It also has a more twitchy feel to it when I pivot, which is something that it really excels at. It does have more rocker in the tips and tails then the sickles. Overall I would say they seem more demanding of a ski then the sickles and need more input ie rolling it further over it engage it. Both skis instill confidence at speed but ifI had to strait line some thing into funky snow I would take the sickles all day.

I’ve got some volk 1’s 186’s as well, another fun zero camber ski. Much more rocker and much softer. It might be a bit soft as a DD but if ya enjoy the sickles I’m sure you could find a pair cheap. Sometimes I ride then in shit snow just for a hoot.

I’ve also got a pair of moment Donner Parties, they rarely come out to play but I mention it just because they are zero camber as well.

Sorry for lack of technical terminology
    I was curious about the Meridian vs the Sickle. Doesn't sound like they ski very similarly at all. I'd still be curious to try the touring version of that ski at some point.

I've been on my Sickles 10 days in the past two weeks. Everything from 8" of blower on coral reef, boiler plate to weird manky starting to refreeze leftover pow. Their ability to make turns fast and slow in all these kind of conditions blows my mind. The confidence this ski inspires never ceases to amaze me. At times I wish I had a bit more length when opening it up, but that is a rarity in comparison to how often I appreciate how predictable they are to turn when conditions are variable.

Really curious to hear your thoughts on the Squads and Enforcers Dan. The squads are ENORMOUS in comparison. I bet they crush open faces.

Sender Squad FTMFW. I felt at home on them almost immediately. Shockingly nimble for their size and the stability at speed through bumpy runouts is pretty amazing. If you handed them to me blind and asked me how long they are I would guess 185-188 cm. They ski much shorter than my 193 EHPs. At my size I would probably prefer something 5-10 cm shorter with the same construction, but they're still a completely reasonable DD at Snowbird.

Skiing today was mostly Cirque laps and various stuff off Little Cloud with everything from boilerplate to windbuff to chalk to skied out old pow to slush. Mostly open stuff but did ski some tight chutes and they we great. Super stompy. Absolutely no fucks given at speed.

You guys were right about the Enforcer tip, just too floppy when really driven hard. There were aspects of them I enjoyed but the tip is a deal-breaker and I just didn't jive with them overall. I might have AC try them as she has the exact same BSL, but it's probably too much ski for her so if anyone is interested in a pair of barely used Enforcer 110s let me know.

Sender Squad FTMFW. I felt at home on them almost immediately. Shockingly nimble for their size and the stability at speed through bumpy runouts is pretty amazing. If you handed them to me blind and asked me how long they are I would guess 185-188 cm. They ski much shorter than my 193 EHPs. At my size I would probably prefer something 5-10 cm shorter with the same construction, but they're still a completely reasonable DD at Snowbird.

Skiing today was mostly Cirque laps and various stuff off Little Cloud with everything from boilerplate to windbuff to chalk to skied out old pow to slush. Mostly open stuff but did ski some tight chutes and they we great. Super stompy. Absolutely no fucks given at speed.

You guys were right about the Enforcer tip, just too floppy when really driven hard. There were aspects of them I enjoyed but the tip is a deal-breaker and I just didn't jive with them overall. I might have AC try them as she has the exact same BSL, but it's probably too much ski for her so if anyone is interested in a pair of barely used Enforcer 110s let me know.
    So…. They won’t be hitting GS imminently?

Srsly that’s awesome and good to hear. Not sure if it’s because it’s the end of the season or what, but I was way invested in this….
    focus.

Very interesting to hear about the sender squad being easier to ski than 193 ehp. My 193 ehp are the only 190+ ski that I like skiing at Alta. Generally save the long skis for the Bird. I’ve had a lot of guys tell me that I’d like them but the 190+ part of my quiver is pretty full. I’ll have to get on a pair next winter. Still can’t believe they don’t offer it in a 186\8.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums