Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What new ski do I want (aka the RIP Sickle thread)?

I had this happen yesterday:

While I could go the helicoil route I'm thinking about taking it as a sign that I should get new skis and some bindings made in this century. I absolutely loved these skis--fast, slow, big turns, shorts turns, wide open and tight trees, they did it all. What's the 2020s version?

Those were the full reverse camber ones right? I never skied them, was always on my want to try list, but love the Volkl Blaze 106 for similar kind of feel. Super loose/pivot-ey while still able to lay it over to use the entire effective edge. Only a tiny bit of camber and the long low rise, plus minimal taper might be a good comparator to these. YMMV.

4Frnt Devastator is the closest modern ski to the Sickle. Unfortunately there aren't any twin-tip reverse camber skis under 110mm underfoot with a beefy build over 2kg. The J Skis Hotshot is a similar shape with bruiser construction but its got a couple mm of camber underfoot.

Black ops 118?
    Everyone around swears up and down its the new sickle.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Those were the full reverse camber ones right? I never skied them, was always on my want to try list, but love the Volkl Blaze 106 for similar kind of feel. Super loose/pivot-ey while still able to lay it over to use the entire effective edge. Only a tiny bit of camber and the long low rise, plus minimal taper might be a good comparator to these. YMMV.
    Yes, very subtle full reverse camber with traditional sidecut. I'm not necessarily married to that exact design, I'll be happy with anything that has the same ability to pivot easily at low angulation but engages the full edge and charges when layed over.

What are your thoughts on Blaze 106 vs. Katana 108? Katana looks to have more beef and I like beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    4Frnt Devastator is the closest modern ski to the Sickle. Unfortunately there aren't any twin-tip reverse camber skis under 110mm underfoot with a beefy build over 2kg. The J Skis Hotshot is a similar shape with bruiser construction but its got a couple mm of camber underfoot.
    I'll look into the Dev, thanks. Sickle was 110 mm underfoot so anything 105-115 seems worth considering. As noted, I'm more interested in finding something that replicates the versatility of the Sickle than the exact design, so some camber isn't a deal breaker. Fill twin-tip isn't necessary, either.

Quote Originally Posted by skithewest View Post
    Black ops 118?
    Everyone around swears up and down its the new sickle.
    Not sure I want to go as wide as 118 mm underfoot. If you haven't heard, they've canceled deep pow in the Wasatch.

I never did ski the sickle, so can’t compare directly, but I’d maybe put the Corvus on your radar as you’re considering options.

Also, stopped skiing a pair of ZRs just last year. I’m now rocking four screws in front across the quiver.
    focus.

Here's a few things that are on sale at EVO (cuz I'm not made of money) that look like they might fit the bill. Thoughts?

K2 x Geoff McFetridge Reckoner 112
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/k2-x...e-reckoner-112

ON3P Woodsman 110
    https://www.evo.com/skis/on3p-woodsman-110

Nordica Enforcer 110 Free
    https://www.evo.com/skis/nordica-enforcer-110-free-2022

Head Kore 111
    https://www.evo.com/skis/head-kore-111

Rossignol Black Ops Sender Ti
    https://www.evo.com/skis/rossignol-black-ops-sender-ti

180 length on the Sender Ti is probably a deal-breaker, but figured I'd throw it our there anyway.

Unfortunately the Katana 108 doesn't have the same effortless pivot as the Blaze 106 and older reverse camber Volkls.

You can't go wrong with an Enforcer, and PTEX1 sells them for much cheaper than Evo so you should reach out to him in case he has any still available.

I’ve been looking at these really hard, but keep backing slowly away because it’s time to spend money on bike stuff now.

https://www.bluezonesports.com/rossi...r-squad--38869
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The Woodsman is definitely one that came to mind... it's been a very long time since I've skied a Sickle so tough for me to directly compare, but based of recollection, I think the Woodsman would be a little bit stiffer and a little more difficult to pivot, but a little more stable at speed in chop. Still a very versatile ski.

Praxis MVP

WNDR Intention 110 reverse cambered?

Here's a few things that are on sale at EVO (cuz I'm not made of money) that look like they might fit the bill. Thoughts?
    If you're interested in them it seems like 183 and 188 flat rocker Corvus pop up on gear swap (and might be there now) for less $ than those skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Unfortunately the Katana 108 doesn't have the same effortless pivot as the Blaze 106 and older reverse camber Volkls.

You can't go wrong with an Enforcer, and PTEX1 sells them for much cheaper than Evo so you should reach out to him in case he has any still available.
    Got it, thanks. Maybe my mindset is too old school, but 1800 g/pair for the Blaze gives me pause.

Sent ptex1 a PM. Nordica even had free demos at Snowbird all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I’ve been looking at these really hard, but keep backing slowly away because it’s time to spend money on bike stuff now.

https://www.bluezonesports.com/rossi...r-squad--38869
    Oh my. 194 is probably more than I want for my DD, though. I don't ski lightly but ultimately I am only 5-6 155 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The Woodsman is definitely one that came to mind... it's been a very long time since I've skied a Sickle so tough for me to directly compare, but based of recollection, I think the Woodsman would be a little bit stiffer and a little more difficult to pivot, but a little more stable at speed in chop. Still a very versatile ski.
    I like the sound of that overall.

Quote Originally Posted by altabird92 View Post
    Praxis MVP
    Looks to be unobtanium at the moment. Same with the Devastators.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    WNDR Intention 110 reverse cambered?
    That's an interesting one. I had never heard of WNDR. The full reverse version is way more reverse than the Sickle, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    If you're interested in them it seems like 183 and 188 flat rocker Corvus pop up on gear swap (and might be there now) for less $ than those skis.
    Not much at the moment.

Also, get bindings off ksl and fix the Sickles as you're gonna need beaters. I never even mounted my new skis this season

New Cochise deserves consideration if the Katana interests you but want more pivotability

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Oh my. 194 is probably more than I want for my DD, though.
    Pussy.
    focus.

Haven't been on K108, but have many days on my 183 2011ish Katanas. The OG Katanas have basically no speed limit. Speed aside compared to Blaze they ski quite similar, though mid-foot that 3D radius does come into play more for shorter carved turns, maybe placebo effect. Can't say I've gone mach-speed on the Blaze, and they're definitely not the OG Katana, but have been strong enough for me these days. In blower untracked Blaze are great, but so's anything with some shape/rocker to it really. I think the Blaze ski tight trees way better than Katana's but that's mostly b/c of swing weight. Chopped up crud and mashed potatoes are where the OG Katanas and K108 would definitely be better.

5'11" @ 160lbs on the 179 Blaze and 183 Katana and more EC than west lately. Based on what you said though they might not be beefy enough for ya though. I wish I'd brought the Blaze when I was out at Snowbird few weekends ago when it was that super warm weekend (3/26), think they would have been really good, but the OG Katanas woulda been better.

I like the sound of that overall.

Looks to be unobtanium at the moment. Same with the Devastators.

If you can wait till next season, it’s an amazing ski. Sounds like what you’re looking for and it’s the best Utah daily driver I’ve found.

Also, I have an extra pair of GPO’s in 192 I’d sell if you’re interested.

I haven't skied it, but everybody seems to think the m-free 108 is extremely pivoty and smooth.

Next year the Nordica Unleashed 108 will come around, might also be an alternative?

FWIW, I didn't find the devs to be an exact replacement for sickles. The heavy glass/rubber build of the sickle is a different ride compared to the metal devastators.

My gut tells me that a heavy Praxis build would be able to replicate the feel, I haven't been on any of the newer skis in this thread post 2018. Keith was pressing full rocker GPO for a minute, I wonder if he would be able to do something similar with one his narrower skis.

ETA sacrilege. All of the trad sidecut on3p I have been on do not have the ease of variable turn shape like the sickle. I never have owned a pair, so maybe a consistent tuning issue with their demo fleets but I never understood the love for the non-RES models.

Quote Originally Posted by altabird92 View Post
    If you can wait till next season, it’s an amazing ski. Sounds like what you’re looking for and it’s the best Utah daily driver I’ve found.
    My money says the Bird is going to be done for the year in ~2 weeks, so in that sense there's not much of a rush. It would be nice to snag a late-season deal on something, though.

DTM, if you can ski the Mfree108. It pivots way easier than the camber profile suggests. You would be fine on the 182. The 192 is a really easy ski to ski but I’m a little bigger than you. I was never able to get on a Sickle but listening to others as well as what you describe, it does all that with ease.

Mfree108