Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What new ski do I want (aka the RIP Sickle thread)?

I'm looking for a similar ski.

Got a hole in the 108-110mm slot.

I owned the Sickle in 2013. It was such a great ski at Baker.

I love rocker (or flat skis) with minimal tip/tail taper....so they slarve, but lots of effective edge when you roll them over. And you can "feel" the tips/tails in steep sketch. I wonder why more companies don't make a ski like this (~110mm underfoot, minimal tip/tail taper, and rocker/flat).

My 181cm Icelantic Nomads (150-115-140) have very minimal camber, so they feel almost like flat camber (eg ~1 - 2 mm of camber). The Nomads have such fat (non-tapered) tips and tails. Also the 183cm Faction 5.0 (152-122-142) I had with flat camber, and no tip/tail taper was such a great ski too . Both the Nomad 115 and Faction 5.0 have shockingly good edge grip when rolled on edge, even on ice.

I'll be looking at the 4FRNT Dev next year....to be honest I've just really hated the stupid “kid” graphics of the last few years. Don't get it? Not that top sheet matters that much, but man those were dumb to me and I’m not sure who they think their target market is for that ski?

PS I don't think the Dev has metal in it (per post above)?

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I love rocker (or flat skis) with minimal tip/tail taper....so they slarve, but lots of effective edge when you roll them over. And you can "feel" the tips/tails in steep sketch. I wonder why more companies don't make a ski like this (~110mm underfoot, minimal tip/tail taper, and rocker/flat).
    The V Werks Katana fits this description. Would probably be a great ski for Dan. I haven't tried it myself yet but my only hesitation is that it may be a little too light for daily resort use on hardpack, but I could be wrong about that. I know Tgapp has a pair in 184 he may be willing to sell at a fair price.

My only resort ski right now is the old Volkl 100eight which is pretty much the same shape with a slightly beefier woodcore and its awesome in all conditions, just a bit tiresome to ride firm snow all day due to its width.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The V Werks Katana fits this description. Would probably be a great ski for Dan.
    That's an interesting take. Volkl's own "Character" ratings on their website do not give them high marks for short turns and agility. They're expensive AF too

As someone who currently daily drives the 186 Sickle finding a modern comparable is a difficult task. It really does make any turn you want. Such an enjoyable ski in almost every condition and speed.

I'll start by saying the Corvus is not the ski you are looking for. It's an interesting ski, but I rode both last season and ended up selling the Corvus because I just never clicked with them like I did with the Sickle. It needs a little more speed to find it's sweet spot and really doesn't float as well as it should for a ski that is 108mm underfoot.

I've skied the K2 Reckoner 112 too and enjoyed it quite a bit. I found the shovels a little too soft for my liking and their performance in true variable/packed pow conditions wasn't as intuitive as the Sickle. But it's a damn fine playful twin tip. There is a reason this ski is loved so much.

The 4frnt Devastator should be on your radar for sure. I've heard nothing but good things about it when compared to the Sickle. The general consensus is that it is a slightly stiffer and bulkier sickle I believe. Really want to get on a pair one of these days. There are some good deals out there on older versions.

I'm curious about the Icelantic Saba 107/117. The rocker lines look interesting and I've heard some good things from the people I've seen on them. I'd be curious to try a pair eventually.

The 192 M-Free 108 seems to be a poplar choice by friends who've also really liked the Sickle. Never skied it, but only heard great things. The folks in the Dynastar thread are lunatics about this ski.

I'm exploring custom options for my Sickle replacement too. The Folsom Primary 110 seems like a good fit and their flat camber/rocker option is very similar to the OG sickle, an extra stiff/flat camber K110 from ON3P, or the Praxis MVP like was mentioned earlier in this thread are on my radar. I'm lucky enough to ski 100+ days a year so spending a little extra dough to get exactly what I want seems like a reasonable call.

Should have mentioned I like rec mounts of -5cm to -7cm.

Tried to go back to -10cm to -12cm and can’t.

My Sickles were mounted at +2cm from the -6cm line, so -4cm. My Candides were -4.75cm and I’m at -6cm on the Nomads. Devs at -5cm would be perfect.

So the Katana V-Werks (-12cm?) would definitely f me up.

Just looking at praxis custom builder now. Different moulding (flat camber, reverse etc) are an option for that MVP and I'd assume all their skis.
    Custom appears to not be available until April 15.

A few years ago i was wanting some Corvus or Cochise but couldn't find any on sale for cheap so picked up some Volkl 108 in 189.
    Generic lame name for a generic ski. Seemed like it was kinda designed by committee. Mellow full rocker almost flat underfoot.
    Way too lightweight for charging chunder and chop. No taper at all in the tip bit a smidge of tail taper. Would pivot easily on packed snow due to rocker but not so much in the deep.
    Skied quality dry snow well but got hung up in hotschmoo 😉.
    It was my first lightweight inbounds ski and can't say I'm impressed.
    Too many compromises. Much more interested in the New Katana than the Blaze.

With detuned tips the 100eight is the best ski I’ve ever used in hotschmoo and rarely gets hung up. I demoed the Mantra M6 and M102 over the weekend in hotschmoo and both got hung up a lot more.

Buddy of mine skis the VW katana mounted +6 and likes em, so don’t let the directional mount point turn you away. Reverse camber Volkls are pretty forgiving with mount points

Now I remember why I hold onto skis for so long. This is more exhausting than skiing sun-baked manky crud.

Got a PM from ptex1, he has pair of Enforcer 110s for a smoking deal and I am very, very tempted.

If nothing else, this thread is a fine example of bias towards the shit we’re skiing.
    focus.

Get the good deal. I think you’d like those, from what I know about the Sickle. Damp, approachable, will make all the turn shapes but can still charge. No surprises.

And if you don’t like them you can unload them here and try something else. That’s fun too.

I do not think you’d like any of the volkl offerings, at least not for any of the reasons you liked the Sickle.

ETA - I’d give you a very good deal on a pair of used 184 Deathwish, too. A few scars from Big Sky that I still need to buff out…
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    If nothing else, this thread is a fine example of bias towards the shit we’re skiing.
    I would expect nothing less on teh TRGz!

Looks like EVO has the M-Free 108 for almost as good of a deal as ptex's Enforcers. Some quick review reading has me leaning Enforcer, though.

Maybe, but interesting discussion that broadens view. After reading this thread Devastator stands out as something I'd be very interested in that wasn't on my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Now I remember why I hold onto skis for so long. This is more exhausting than skiing sun-baked manky crud.

Got a PM from ptex1, he has pair of Enforcer 110s for a smoking deal and I am very, very tempted.
    .Name:  9e3452843ba0e15d9d59836d9e11a868.jpeg
Views: 553
Size:  12.5 KB

Just to add some objectivity here (and do some mild dickwaving ), here's a line I skied in January. I pretty much ski like this all day long.

http://youtube.com/shorts/29qECh-7PbA

This is me a few years ago. I still hit stuff like this all the time. Also, this was around noon on an east-facing slope in mid-May, snow was complete mank.

Both vids are on the Sickles. With that^^^ in mind, M-Free or Enforcer 110?

Just to add some objectivity here (and do some mild dickwaving ) here's a line I skied in January. I pretty much ski like this all day long.

http://youtube.com/shorts/29qECh-7PbA
    Just think: A modern ski will enable you to ski that line at speed.

ETA: I still think you should look hard, again, at those Sender Squads.
    focus.

Looks like EVO has the M-Free 108 for almost as good of a deal as ptex's Enforcers. Some quick review reading has me leaning Enforcer, though.
    Buy both. Ski both. Sell one.

Just think: A modern ski will enable you to ski that line at speed.

ETA: I still think you should look hard, again, at those Sender Squads.
    Everything looks slow on video Also, there was some serious pepperstein in the entrance and the take-off that's not visible.

I will take a second look at the Squads, though. After my binding failure I pulled out my old 192 EHPs for the rest of the day and they were definitely less fun than the Sickles and didn't make me want to rush back into something 190+, but the EHP is also obviously a very different ski.

Replying to subscribe. My sickles died in 2015 and I'm still chasing the dragon.

Everything looks slow on video Also, there was some serious pepperstein in the entrance and the take-off that's not visible.
    Any local would say that was not slow skiing for that line and yes that entire face always has rocks in it so skiing it that fast is sketchy and impressive.

I will take a second look at the Squads, though. After my binding failure I pulled out my old 192 EHPs for the rest of the day and they were definitely less fun than the Sickles and didn't make me want to rush back into something 190+, but the EHP is also obviously a very different ski.
    Haha. Just giving you shit. That was some very nice skiing.
    focus.

Haha. Just giving you shit.
    I know, just had to push back a little, all good

At 5-6 anything 190+ looks mildly ridiculous standing next to me, like literally a foot taller than me.

A pair of 192s just landed on my doorstep 10min ago. $450 shipped from Corbett's.

I think you’ll jive just fine with either the Mfree108 or Enforcer 110. Both are really good skis.

I know, just had to push back a little, all good

At 5-6 anything 190+ looks mildly ridiculous standing next to me, like literally a foot taller than me.
    Something something about well that’s what made the line look so big…

Yeah, that might be a bit much I guess. I’m not a lot bigger though and that ski is firmly on my radar as a big damp ski that’s meant to ski shorter but still rip shit up. Also as a motivator to start doing squats again.
    focus.

I had this happen yesterday:

While I could go the helicoil route I'm thinking about taking it as a sign that I should get new skis and some bindings made in this century. I absolutely loved these skis--fast, slow, big turns, shorts turns, wide open and tight trees, they did it all. What's the 2020s version?
    so you gona make the dead skis into a muskoka chair or part of a fence ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know