Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Nothing beats a huge snow day and ducking the rope into Great Scott ,....right off the Tram
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    My wife calls them the "box of doom". Not a fan.

I could care less, but generally they're the quickest to the top and without the poma in JH it's the only way these days. And even with the poma it was pretty much the only way. That thing ran once in a blue moon.

I'm am shocked that the Bird's plan is to have the new one up and going so quick. Seems too quick honestly.
    I too am shocked by the schedule
    That’s amazing

JH was down two winters.
    But the double chair to the bowl was so much fun
    More fun than the poma that rarely worked.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Why are they the best? I find the long wait at the bottom annoying. I find being crammed in like sardines annoying. I find them also kind of scary.

Are they able to operate in higher winds than chairs/gondolas? Do they have same uphill capacity as regular lifts, despite the wait at the bottom? Or is that the point? Dump a load of skiers at the top, who then rapidly disperse, leaving relatively uncrowded runs up top?

Just curious why some people seem to like trams so much. Maybe they grow on you.
    I've never skied a tram that didn't serve awesome terrain. That's the main appeal to me, but maybe you find that terrain scary just like you find trams idk

Also riding up a tram on a pow day, with the anticipation building with every vertical foot gain..... the collective energy rising like salmon flocking up the Capistrano..... Oh baby, gets me pumped up just thinking about it! That's what skiing is about! That's livin'

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Also, it's only tram car replacements, not entire tram system, cars are built and en route to snowbird from what their website (appears) to state. I haven't skied Snowbird since 2019? but man, I had a season that really solidified me staying in Utah '10/'11.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Out with a shoulder injury right now. Was super bummed to miss the last day on the tram. IMO that’s the best lift in North America. When it’s good and you can race the tram catching the same boat each lap it’s simply unbeatable. There’s not many trams that you can just lap it up on like you can the snowbird tram.

All they are doing is replacing the cabins. Nothing else is changing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49F8FD75-741C-4D20-A38A-59C6D4E0926D.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	1,019.3 KB 
ID:	412033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE151084-E7E2-4E63-B537-32DCDEDCD6D4.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	556.2 KB 
ID:	412032

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Also, it's only tram car replacements, not entire tram system, cars are built and en route to snowbird from what their website (appears) to state.
    That makes a lot more sense I guess. Assume they'll be the same size cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I too am shocked by the schedule
    That’s amazing

JH was down two winters.
    But the double chair to the bowl was so much fun
    More fun than the poma that rarely worked.
    I thought they are just putting new cars in that are the same general capacity and doing some maintenance, not even putting in new towers in, let alone building a new tram. Very different than Jackson's project

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Also, it's only tram car replacements, not entire tram system, cars are built and en route to snowbird from what their website (appears) to state.
    Yeah, I initially thought it was simply replacing the cars too. Until I talked with someone involved with the project. That's why in my original post I detailed some of the demolition, reconstruction and replacement required apart from the cars.
    "Don't bug me, granny. I don't dig slick chicks trying to goof me up." --Tragg

Just checking in here to correct the improper use of the term “crop dusting”.

One can not crop dust from a stationary location (standing in a Tram). The entire purpose of a crop dust is to release the gas and move your ass.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Just checking in here to correct the improper use of the term “crop dusting”.

One can not crop dust from a stationary location (standing in a Tram). The entire purpose of a crop dust is to release the gas and move your ass.

^This is correct.

What’s the tram equivalent to the Dutch Oven?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    ^This is correct.

What’s the tram equivalent to the Dutch Oven?
    It’s technically a mass casualty “hot box” event.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    I thought they are just putting new cars in that are the same general capacity and doing some maintenance, not even putting in new towers in, let alone building a new tram. Very different than Jackson's project
    You're right, it's nothing close to Jackson's complete replacement. But the new bird cabins are about a third less capacity than the originals. Fortunately the existing towers are adequate, but in addition to the other work mentioned, all the towers and both docks need guides built for the new cars.
    "Don't bug me, granny. I don't dig slick chicks trying to goof me up." --Tragg

From what I’ve heard from several sources is the upper station will have retractable walkways (like Jackson) to accomodate the tram docking in higher winds. It isn’t just a cabin replacement, some electrical improvements as well.

Spent a week at Jay back in the mid-seventies and every afternoon the tram closed due to high winds. Seems like a typical problem with those things but I'm speaking from a position of ignorance. Fun hill regardless.

How did that kill three men, sparing their wives. On the same car.
    Creepy af.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I've never skied a tram that didn't serve awesome terrain.
    While this may be true, I don't think in N. America any of this terrain necessitates a tram and could be serviced by more efficient lifts (if getting more people up there faster is desired, which I understand isn't always the case).

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    That's the main appeal to me, but maybe you find that terrain scary just like you find trams idk
    Well.... I never! That's it - SKI OFF!

In Yurp trams make a lot of sense. A lot of their trams serve primarily as people movers to get them up and out or to ride down when snow levels remain high. They also use em for sight seeing purposes and access to restaurants etc. If theirs other purposes beyond a ski lift they work pretty good. Historically they can climb more extreme mountain sides than a chair or until recently a gondola and have huge, towerless spans so for a lot of us we often see tram and think of big, cliff ridden steep skiing areas.

I've always loved the Snowbird tram. It's one of the best and most iconic lifts in the US imo.

Interestingly Telluride just had a chair 9 closing day as they plan to replace that old girl this coming summer. Although it would be a tough argument to compare the chair 9 terrain to everything off Snowbirds tram you know If you've spent any amount of time in Telluride that it's a very loved and revered lift by locals. Chair 9 though, good lawd that thing was long, cold and slow!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I think about this probably too often when tram discussions come up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_C...able_car_crash

Glad I got to ride the snowbird tram during my patrol exchange there. Definitely one of the most iconic lifts in North America.

Kind of off topic but hard to beat the Snowbird patrol locker room scene in the bowels of the tram building. Legendary amounts of Jameson and PBR have been crushed in that room. I’ve crawled out of that locker room every time I’ve been lucky enough to visit

That peak-2-peak at WB would be a sketchy chair lift ride....

The Tram is dead. Long live the Tram!

Quote Originally Posted by ski_it View Post
    That peak-2-peak at WB would be a sketchy chair lift ride....
    My balls just tightened up with that thought.

The rescue plan for the P2P will really make your asshole clench up