Anyone use HT Clipless Pedals?

I've been on SPDs forever, but lately I just can't get them to work as smoothly as I did in the past... plus, new ones are hard to find and they're damn expensive. I was thinking of switching over to HT (just as expensive, but typically lighter and more blingy) clips. Anyone use them regularly, and how do they compare to Shimano/SPD? I'm looking at the M1 or M1T, or possibly the T1 "Enduro" pedals.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ht-pedals-m1-leopard-clipless-cyclocross-IMG_0368-cxmagazine-ay_1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	411818

I haven't used HT, but for the same reasons I put a pair of Look spd pedals on my Ibis. I find them just a resistant to rock strikes but when easier to slam into first try than the XTs they replaced. Plus they're red, which is kinda fun.

I have Xpedos on the gravel bike. They are crazy light but def not as smooth in or out as the Looks or Shimanos.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

The 2 guys I know who have (past tense) tried HT flats said that they lasted only a few months between needing rebuilds. Given the amount of riding you do, I'd be really wary.

I still own & use every pair of spd's I ever bought, 5 pairs in 25 yars with zero maintenance, even the cheapest models still work fine and i consider the spd one of if not the best product Shimano makes so i wouldn't bother trying anything else ... just sayin
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've been on T1s and X2s for a few years after a long time on SPDs. They're holding up well for me (in the PNW). I've heard reports of the bearings doing less well in super dusty environs but can't really speak to that directly.

Pros: I like that they have a few options for cleats with different amounts of float, and that the lower float one feels more locked in than SPDs. The release tension range also goes a bit higher (especially on the SX versions) which I also like - I sometimes pivot out of the outside foot on SPDs when cornering hard. Spindle rebuild kits are readily available and cheap.

Cons: they feel pretty sticky with new cleats - there's a definite break in period. Other than that I'm very happy with them.

I think if you're into the option of having less float and/or firmer release they're worth a look, otherwise there's not much advantage over SPDs.

I got T1's on HAB's recommendation last year (thanks for the tip!)

I have very poor ankle mobility, to the point that I have trouble getting out of SPD's on occasion since it's uncomfortable for me to twist through their float. The HT's with the low float cleats are much easier for me to get out of that SPD's were. I also feel like they're a little more "binary" than SPDs, I'm either fully in, or fully out, and it's easy to tell which I am. But if you have good ankles and don't need the higher release tension, it's hard to beat the universality of SPDs.

Not HT's, but I switched from SPD to Time on my MTB and haven't looked back.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

HT pedals on long travel, xc and gravel. Nice float options and stronger retention than spd

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    If/when I go back from flats (post ACL reconstruction) to clipless I'll get time again. I never got along with my spd pedals as well as the time. easy in out like crank bros without the instant eject button.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Time all the way. I use them on the road too (I'm not a "serious" road rider and some carbon soled mtb shoes do plenty to avoid hotspots so I don't see the advantage of road-specific pedals).

My dad still has an OG pair of ATACs that still get ridden!

I've been running Time Speciale 12 as my first MTB clipless pedal for a little over a year now. I love them, especially after the shoes/pedal wore in a bit. One thing that sucked is I smashed one of the pedals on a rock and it bent the retaining spring/clip on one side, it will hold my foot in but not as securely. I asked Time/SRAM Canada about repair options/warranty and was told there's nothing they can do except a crash replacement that costs more than I paid for the set of (very expensive) pedals. Kind of lame they cant' sell a replacement spring? Now I have to look down to ensure I am clipping in on the non-bent side of that pedal.

Anyway bit of a rant... but love the product. On the road I run Shimano Ultegra, never felt the need for anything else there.

What do you mean by not being able to get them to work smoothly?
    Maybe it's just time for new cleats? They don't wear very quickly, but when they finally do, it's amazing how much you can back off the release tension when get new ones. It's almost like when you don't realize how much a set of brakes really needed a bleed. And cleats are cheap and easy to find.
    Also, I once found out that over tightening cleat bolts is a thing. Had a pair of shoes where 1 of them developed some concavity (iirc) and getting the cleat down nice and tight on that foot made it hard to clip in. It was strange.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.