Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It’s just so much easier to think about simply quantified and compared variables, like weight and ROM, than more complicated and subjective variables, such as all the parameters that combine and contribute to real world performance. If you want to sell stuff (or argue about it on the internet) KISS is a proven strategy. But if you truly appreciate high performing boots, all the messy interrelated details (fit, stance, flex/feel, ease of use, durability, ROM, weight) matter, and the optimum mix can’t be the same for everything or everyone.

Yup, what Koot said

Go with the red ones

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Don’t know either boot, but thought the alien rs had a greater rom than the skorpius
    ROM is a silly measurement of the boots walkability, since many boots have had a greater ROM than the human ankle for some time now (including both of the boots in question). In terms of walk mode they are very similar in ease of stride and resistance - the alien has a slight edge, but the Skorp walks insanely well for how good it skis. They're my cold dead hands boot, for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I just bought new touring boots this spring and 80% of the reason was the new ones are about a full pound lighter then my old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed el Loco View Post
    I just bought new touring boots this spring and 80% of the reason was the new ones are about a full pound lighter then my old ones.
    excuse me, we are talking gram counting here. Whattathefucka is a pound?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    freedom units!

yeah so freedom units/ the queens own units/ metric

I don'ts care what unit you eunchs use when ya talk about gear just so long as you specify WTF it is Eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

+10000 on the ROM Weenies.

Skied quite of few boots these days, and thought I would never be found dead in a weight weenie boot, but another TGR selling had a Fischer Travers in my size for a reasonable price, and I tried it out.... I gotta be honest, it did not suck as much for skiing down as I expected. Definitely manageable - needed to ski more upright, and I certainly wouldn't be smashing pillows, or airs - but I was able to get it to work pretty good.

The biggest thing I noticed, aside from how well the damn thing walked, was how much more tiring it was to ski in. As you're flexing your quads much more than you would on a stiffer 120-130ish flex boot.

So overall - no don't care about weight until we're talking 3000'+ days walking uphill, and I would still prioritize ROM and ski performance over weight.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

skimotards .
    This word alone makes this thread worthwhile.

Sorry the conversion rate is basically 226 dime bags per boot or one tall boy per pair.

Agree with what Kootenayskier said. Guess what I was trying to say in response to the question is weight mattered to me when I bought my current boot and will matter when I buy my next one. I was not interested in 1.8kg boots and did not feel any of the 1.2kg and below boots would give me the performance and simplicity I could find in the 1.5kg range. My boots are still good on their second pair of liners. When I next shop for boots I will be looking to drop at least 200g and I will be comparing boots in that class. So weight for me is the first cut when selecting boots, then the other characteristics come into play. In an alpine boot, weight has no influence.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Agree with what Kootenayskier said. Guess what I was trying to say in response to the question is weight mattered to me when I bought my current boot and will matter when I buy my next one. I was not interested in 1.8kg boots and did not feel any of the 1.2kg and below boots would give me the performance and simplicity I could find in the 1.5kg range. My boots are still good on their second pair of liners. When I next shop for boots I will be looking to drop at least 200g and I will be comparing boots in that class. So weight for me is the first cut when selecting boots, then the other characteristics come into play. In an alpine boot, weight has no influence.
    Interesting. Makes sense at first but in thinking about it more, I wonder if weight actually is your first cut. I ask this because why 1500g? What brought you to that class of boot? Was it the ski quality of that boot? Or the ROM compared to the 1800g boot? So in the end was it actually the weight that brought you to that class or is that just how that style of boot that you are looking for (ROM, ski quality) has been marketed? Sure you say you want a 1500g boot but every metric you used to describe the traits of those boots weren't directly correlated to the weight. We have just come to terms with the fact that in 2022 a boot that weighs 1500g skis pretty good and has a huge ROM. 6 years ago we would have put those characteristics in a different weight class and have been fine with it.

Then, when you are trying on those 1500g class boots, if one has a beefier liner that makes the boot fit and feel way better, would you really pass it up for 100g?

100g would not push me away from a boot, but that is about the limit. Why 1.5kg? Lighter than previous boots and a place that a lot of boot manufacturers had options. Why will 1.3kg or less will be the cut when looking at a boot next spring or year after? Bindings and skins are about as light as they will get. Boots are a place to shave weight. 200g or more is significant. I anticipate I will have many to choose from and the weight cut just focuses the choice

I think if you go back 8-10 yrs there was the 1400-1500gm boot which would tour & ski well, probably the hottest/ biggest seller was the Vulcan, probably the Maestrale was also there

The < vulcan boot which it sounds like didnt ski well at all

and everything heavier than the Vulcan

I have also wondered what has changed in the power & weight of boots, so have the classifications changed ?

I'm still rocking the Vulcan and probably will for some time, yeah removing the tongue is a pain but OTOH they tour well and they fit me
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-05-2022 at 02:36 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm tracking pretty closely with Cat in Jan on this one. Personally, my weight increments are 150 g. I start to notice that level of increment on longer (for me) tours...and it's about 1/3 lb which is easy to remember. I'm currently touring in XTD 130's because it was the lightest boot available at the time that I wouldn't just blow right through the flex. Still a good boot, and the first that I don't have to keep thinking about my boots on the down, just ski. This upcoming crop of 1,200 to 1,300 gram boots is really giving me a boner at the moment. Compared to my XTD's they are an increment lighter, will have that next higher level of walk, and should be just stiff enough that I don't need to worry about blowing through the front of them. I love it that the technological developments are advancing at about the same rate that my physical abilities are declining. Keeps me in the game

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post

The biggest thing I noticed, aside from how well the damn thing walked, was how much more tiring it was to ski in. As you're flexing your quads much more than you would on a stiffer 120-130ish flex boot.
    I just view this as a clever way to work out the resort muscles while touring.