Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mag Help Needed: Used Bike for Wife

Hello fell mags. I was wondering if I could get some help navigating the purchase of used bike for the wife? I think I would prefer full suspension for the comfort of riding and am leaning more toward a XC style bike. This would be her first real mountain bike, so mostly flow and mellow trail riding around RFV, Western CO, Moab, etc. I can't imagine her hitting jumps, etc. in the bike park...so something that pedals up well and is easy to navigate would seem the best.

I am happy to provide any additional info as needed and do appreciate the help!

- 5'6" 120lbs
    - Need on hand, ready to ride by 4/20
    - Budget is probably $3K max, but under $2K would be fantastic
    - Leaning toward AL frame
    - Local in RFV or within driving distance would be a wonderful positive

Thanks Mags
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I have a pretty beat, small Trek Farley Fat Bike, she could ride until you find a more appropriate bike?

Thanks! Can I keep the invite to borrow open for if we don’t find anything before the spring desert camping season?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

You might consider a 27.5+ bike given your description. A little more forgiving and stable with the wider tires at low pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I am happy to provide any additional info as needed
    He offered up this softball and no one has asked for nudes?

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    You might consider a 27.5+ bike given your description. A little more forgiving and stable with the wider tires at low pressure.
    I have not personally ridden all the different tire sizes. How is the loss of efficiency on the way up? I wouldn't want her to have to pedal a fat bike up all the hills just for more stability on the way down a mellow and likely not overly rocky trail.

Thanks

Did you get my Pm?

I just saw it after you posted and responded. Great info, thanks. I think we are going to try to target used under $2K for this first go around, but if that fails, great option for sure.

As with almost everything in the world right now, bikes tend to be out of stock and have limited availability. This means that if you want anything soon-ish, recommendations on the internet don't matter too much. What matters is what's actually get-able. Most shops I've seen have a random assortment of models and sizes - it's probably worth going to a local shop or two and seeing what they have, then report back for opinions on which of those models might be best.

Those same circumstances also mean that the used market is kind of ridiculously overpriced right now.

I just saw it after you posted and responded. Great info, thanks. I think we are going to try to target used under $2K for this first go around, but if that fails, great option for sure.
    Now worries man. Trying to get you an available bike in this market is the goal. Hence, the PM. Those bikes won't be there forever so I didn't want to decrease your odds of getting one by posting it up in case you choose that option.

2k is a super low price point in today's though. As toast said, people want more than what their bike is worth because they know they'll get it. Keep in mind most used bikes have almost certainly been ridden harder than the seller will admit as well. And new bikes are so hard to find easily. It's a tough time to get into this sport.

Best of luck. Be sure to post up what you end up getting for her. Stoke!

I have not personally ridden all the different tire sizes. How is the loss of efficiency on the way up? I wouldn't want her to have to pedal a fat bike up all the hills just for more stability on the way down a mellow and likely not overly rocky trail.

Thanks
    Plenty of traction to be had for up and downhill. Can usually get away with light-ish tires, have been a fan for my rides on a HT and both of my kids are on them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Scott full suspension size 26er that is in awesome shape here in Gunnison (size medium) that I would make you a smoking deal on. It’s been a great bike super fun to ride Might be perfect to get her initiated on.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Thanks everyone. Our local bike shops have a good amount of inventory for new bikes, at least last time I was in, and I certainly gave them my business when I bought my Hightower last season. I have just missed one two local bikes for $1500 and $1200 that would of been good for her, so I think they are out there. She is coming off ACL surgery and our kids are still young at 6 and 4....so just want something this first season to get started and she can decide what she wants from there.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I have a Scott full suspension size 26er that is in awesome shape here in Gunnison (size medium) that I would make you a smoking deal on. It’s been a great bike super fun to ride Might be perfect to get her initiated on.

Telee, you mind send me the model and other info so I can see how it would fit her? Seems like a great option, but I am only coming down to pickup if we can fish half a day! Thanks!

Telee, you mind send me the model and other info so I can see how it would fit her? Seems like a great option, but I am only coming down to pickup if we can fish half a day! Thanks!
    Shoot me a PM with your phone number and I will send you some deets- and duh, a half day float is mandatory if you come down!!

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Thanks
    With a plus (not fat) you give up a little on the way up, but not too much. A number of beginner/less aggressive riders I know have liked them.

Nobody has requested pics of hot wife?
    Losers.

Also, when you say "comfort," what do you mean, confidence? I figure you already know the rear shock isn't for your butt?
    Also, depending on what you're actually riding, a hardtail could be fun af. 29er or 27.5+.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Mag Help Needed: Used Bike for Wife

Yes…I meant confidence…not like cushion for the butt.

Lol

Last edited by gretch6364; 04-02-2022 at 10:03 PM.

It can not be overstated how much fun my old Nimble 9 is (120mm fork, 68° HA, pre longer and lower design so I sized down). I'm like, pretty ok at bikes. A lot of the trails here are steep, but smooth.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Thanks everyone. Our local bike shops have a good amount of inventory for new bikes, at least last time I was in, and I certainly gave them my business when I bought my Hightower last season. I have just missed one two local bikes for $1500 and $1200 that would of been good for her, so I think they are out there. She is coming off ACL surgery and our kids are still young at 6 and 4....so just want something this first season to get started and she can decide what she wants from there.
    It's desert biking season and she has 120 degrees of flexion back (probably more by now). It's time to get here spinning. If you don't find anything in the next week or so....

Go get her a new bike at BBS or Hub. If she doesn't take to it, sell it for almost what you bought it for... plus you'll get cheaper tune ups, etc for it.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I think we are set. Spent the last handful of days searching for used bikes and it felt like I could find something decent for $1500 to $2000 for her with a little patience. However, with a used bike, I primarily wanted an AL frame to lower the risk of cracks, etc. Then I thought....if I am spending that much, should I just get something new on the cheaper side as suggested by NW. Bikes seem to be holding their value rather well, and after a season or two, could sell for probably a $800 t0 $1K hit, allowing her to move up to a carbon frame and better components.

Long story short, decided not to deal with the search any longer or the the worry of a used bike needing fixed, or not fitting her, not being the modern frame geo, etc.

Went to the local shop today as they had a couple of the alloy stumpjumpers in stock per their website in the smaller sizes, and at $2600, the extra $800 or so is worth the decrease in hassle and her getting that new bike instead of used bike feeling. Well, they were not built yet, but they did have a couple of the $10K versions that she could sit on. They are building up both an S2 and S3 for her today/tomorrow to come try out and take her pick.

As expected, she was sad they just had the black....but some pink, purple or teal grips and pedals will dress it up for her. A season or two on it to see what she likes or doesn't like will be good.

The tech seemed to feel that she is right in between with the S2 being a bit small (she has a long torso for 5'6") but the S3 maybe being a tiny long. He whispered that to me and just going to let her pick what feels best...but any mags have thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    It's desert biking season and she has 120 degrees of flexion back (probably more by now). It's time to get here spinning. If you don't find anything in the next week or so....

Go get her a new bike at BBS or Hub. If she doesn't take to it, sell it for almost what you bought it for... plus you'll get cheaper tune ups, etc for it.
    Yeah for sure, ended up at BBS as they have been good for me...we have camp sites at 18 mile over earth day...probably do a palisade or rifle trip or two in May. The bike is one thing she enjoys and can do now that insurance cut off covering PT. Do you have any thoughts on a slightly long or slightly short bike? Seems like the new geo is all longer then they used to be....

I have a couple of 1st gen and 2d gen Yeti 575 SM. (26")....ready to ride
    I also have a sm Intense 5.5 (26") that is in need of a new front shock. Everything else is good to go. Just about all XO. RPC23
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I have a couple of 1st gen and 2d gen Yeti 575 SM. (26")....ready to ride
    I also have a sm Intense 5.5 (26") that is in need of a new front shock. Everything else is good to go. Just about all XO. RPC23
    Thank you good sir. I will see how things go with the local shop the next couple days and will let you know if interested. Appreciate offer.

Yeah for sure, ended up at BBS as they have been good for me...we have camp sites at 18 mile over earth day...probably do a palisade or rifle trip or two in May. The bike is one thing she enjoys and can do now that insurance cut off covering PT. Do you have any thoughts on a slightly long or slightly short bike? Seems like the new geo is all longer then they used to be....
    Go with the S2. She likely won't be looking for the better high speed feeling of the longer bike.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.