Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I think we are set. Spent the last handful of days searching for used bikes and it felt like I could find something decent for $1500 to $2000 for her with a little patience. However, with a used bike, I primarily wanted an AL frame to lower the risk of cracks, etc. Then I thought....if I am spending that much, should I just get something new on the cheaper side as suggested by NW. Bikes seem to be holding their value rather well, and after a season or two, could sell for probably a $800 t0 $1K hit, allowing her to move up to a carbon frame and better components.

Long story short, decided not to deal with the search any longer or the the worry of a used bike needing fixed, or not fitting her, not being the modern frame geo, etc.

Went to the local shop today as they had a couple of the alloy stumpjumpers in stock per their website in the smaller sizes, and at $2600, the extra $800 or so is worth the decrease in hassle and her getting that new bike instead of used bike feeling. Well, they were not built yet, but they did have a couple of the $10K versions that she could sit on. They are building up both an S2 and S3 for her today/tomorrow to come try out and take her pick.

As expected, she was sad they just had the black....but some pink, purple or teal grips and pedals will dress it up for her. A season or two on it to see what she likes or doesn't like will be good.

The tech seemed to feel that she is right in between with the S2 being a bit small (she has a long torso for 5'6") but the S3 maybe being a tiny long. He whispered that to me and just going to let her pick what feels best...but any mags have thoughts?
    Let her pick - but be prepared for her to go a different direction. My wife tried the speshy stumpys and while they were generally good, she just wasn't comfortable on 29 inch tires. We ended up getting a more expensive 27.5 that she loves to pieces so far. It's her bike, not yours, so have her try some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Go with the S2. She likely won't be looking for the better high speed feeling of the longer bike.
    Thank you good sir. That was my thought as well. Even the S2 has a longish wheel base at 188MM.

She told me this morning she is really excited to have a new bike and get riding. So mission accomplished there.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Well, she pulled the trigger tonight on the Stumpjumper Alloy. Surprising to me, but she ended up on the S3 after riding them both.

After seeing her on both riding around outside, she definitely looked cramped on the S3. I did knowing going in she has an above average torso and arm length for her height.

She was stoked to celebrate new bike day . Thanks for all the help as always mags.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I have the same question basically except she's 5'8. She's got pretty short legs for her height which actually makes me want to steer away from women's specific bikes, but which probably drops her somewhere between S and M in most mens/unisex frames.

I'd like to keep the budget lower, more like 2k (or less), but I'm also leaning hardtail in order to keep the weight down. She's generally a bit timid so I think she's going to like less weight on the uphill rather than the ability to hammer it down...

Used is my preference, both because there seems to be not much new inventory locally, and to recoup value on resale if she's not into it. She's signed up for a series of women's clinics of her own volition and wants to give it a try...so I want to set her up on something decent, but I'm about 50/50 on whether it lasts.

Maybe a 27.5+ hardtail for the same reasons others mentioned (plus I could swap in a much nicer wheelset/tires from my hardtail until we're sure how much she likes it). 120-130 fork, maybe even one of the higher end suntour air forks would be fine. At least a 1x11 drivetrain, but SX eagle would be plenty. Saw a SC Chameleon on pinkbike the other day that might have been sweet but it went fast.

Mag Help Needed: Used Bike for Wife

Picked my wife up a Giant Fathom 27.5 last week. Matches up pretty well with your description. She’s had it out once and likes it so far

Out the door under $2k new

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    I have the same question basically except she's 5'8. She's got pretty short legs for her height which actually makes me want to steer away from women's specific bikes, but which probably drops her somewhere between S and M in most mens/unisex frames.

I'd like to keep the budget lower, more like 2k (or less), but I'm also leaning hardtail in order to keep the weight down. She's generally a bit timid so I think she's going to like less weight on the uphill rather than the ability to hammer it down...

Used is my preference, both because there seems to be not much new inventory locally, and to recoup value on resale if she's not into it. She's signed up for a series of women's clinics of her own volition and wants to give it a try...so I want to set her up on something decent, but I'm about 50/50 on whether it lasts.

Maybe a 27.5+ hardtail for the same reasons others mentioned (plus I could swap in a much nicer wheelset/tires from my hardtail until we're sure how much she likes it). 120-130 fork, maybe even one of the higher end suntour air forks would be fine. At least a 1x11 drivetrain, but SX eagle would be plenty. Saw a SC Chameleon on pinkbike the other day that might have been sweet but it went fast.
    I think your hardtail vs full squish logic is faulty.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think your hardtail vs full squish logic is faulty.
    That’s entirely possible. I’ve spent most of my time on hardtails so I’m probably biased.

Quote Originally Posted by motopsycha View Post
    Picked my wife up a Giant Fathom 27.5 last week. Matches up pretty well with your description. She’s had it out once and likes it so far

This might not be a bad option, like that it comes with a full deore 12 and doesn't drop down to an 11 or 10sp (local shop said they had an $1899 kona coming in soon that only had deore 11)
    How's the giant-branded fork? Comparable to a recon?

Went into the local kona/giant dealer and they had basically nothing (and names on everything they were expecting to come in). But they told me that if you can find it on Giant's website for order, it will ship to store and jump the build-queue which is currently 3-4 weeks out.

Also looking at a polygon Xtrada 7 for <1k shipped with a suntour XCR air fork and deore 12, but I'd need to buy a dropper and I'm skeptical of the tires...wish they had something like an Xtrada 8 for a couple hundred more that threw in a dropper and bumped to a Recon with boost spacing.

Otherwise, maybe we just push the budget and go with the stumpy alloy like gretch6364 did...trying to check some other shops tonight to see if they have any inventory, but Specialzied shows an S3 stumpy in stock for shipping online.

The one thing bad about the alloy stumpy is the SX…but honestly, I don’t think the wife will notice the lower end components much and it is kind of a built in excuse to replace stuff on my bike and put my stock stuff on hers.

I definitely foresee upgrading in a couple seasons…but good frame geo and comfort was important to us.

Got my hands on Stumpy today and it felt nice but heavier than I’d like. (Was an S5 though, small/medium seem to be in short supply around here).

It was right next the new status 160 in an S3 for $2950. More bike than my wife needs for beginner clinics but I thought it was quite a nice kit for an extra $300 over the stumpy. Fox 36, Float X shock, NX drivetrain, and 4 pot sram brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by motopsycha View Post

Picked up a Fathom 2 27.5 (2021 model so it comes with Deore 12 rather than 10). She felt better on the medium--looked pretty cramped on the small.

The only bummer is that the dropper won't get quite low enough for her. The insert for the seat-tube bottle cage bolt gets in the way of it going anywhere near full insertion.

Luckily I have a TransX that came on my hardtail and had a shorter insertion depth. It also has the actuator assembly perpendicular to the saddle which may have been enough to let the final inch slip past the bottle bolt. Running a little rougher than the new giant-branded post, but it works.

Really impressed with Deore 12 from riding it around the block compared to SX

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    He offered up this softball and no one has asked for nudes?
    From the thread title I thought he was offering to trade her for a used bike
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.