Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 116
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sedrun CH
    Posts
    420

    Vail Resorts comes to Europe and buys 60 % of Andermatt-Sedrun Sport AG

    Is this a good or a bad thing for us living and working in the Andermatt-Sedrun-Disentis SkiArena???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    4,594
    I'll just copy my answer.

    Aahh... nooo.

    Seriously.

    Im still hoping that the locally owned resorts are still against take over and won't follow andermatts example.

    The French ski Corps didn't get a foot in the door either, even in France. So I hope most things stay the same over here. But there are certainly some resorts on the vail list which overlap with mine, I guess. Im certainly not crying about Zermatt but I do weep for andermatt.

    On the other hand: Maybe 150 Euro lift Tickets keeps the Riff raff away?
    And who doesn't want to stand in line at the gemsstock with 1000 meat stealing Ikonic American tourists
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    5,923
    must be why they didn’t have the moneys to hire enough staff to make snow and operate the lifts this year. sly ol’dogs were saving up for a big dollar splurge in the eruropes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    12,848
    So now I gotta buy Epic Pass to attend 2023 Euro-BBI ?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    4,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    So now I gotta buy Epic Pass to attend 2023 Euro-BBI ?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Disentis is still independently(local community i think)owned, but I guess they'll be on the Pass as they have been cooperating with andermatt/sedrun for ages now.

    It would be awesome if they pulled out though.

    On a more serious note: I don't think they'll restrict any kind of non epic Tickets. That would cause a major uproar here. And I'm not even sure It'll be more expensive (but Hey it's vail so what do know....) because 84chf is quite chunky for Euro Standards. I could see them scrapping the 50% Pass though.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    3,994
    The biggest issue I foresee is that Vail likes to force the presale of passes over the availability of day tickets.

    The great thing about our trip was the flexibility we had to buy a day at any of the areas where we wanted to ski. I think in the future you’ll see epic pass holders will not spread out to other destinations as much.

    I hope Disentis can hold out but I think it will be starved for customers if they have to buy an additional ticket to ski there. Can it stand on its own as a destination without reciprocal benefits at Andermatt-Sedrun?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Looking down
    Posts
    50,504
    What a fucked up company. They're like addicts. All they can do is acquire. You would think they had learned after the debacle of the past few years to chill on that, step back, and learn to manage what they have, but, nope, they actually move to another market thousands of miles away and set themselves up for another PR problem.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    13,129
    i dont think its gonna hurt the lodges bottom line and skier visit numbers
    i dont know a single skier who will say the fail came to town and the skiing experiance improved
    i guess it depends on what you value more
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,998
    Sending positive vibes to skiers in the eurozone...

    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vail-...ership%20stake.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    26,293
    It will likely be good for local independent businesses in terms of numbers of patrons. Who's to say about the quality of patron? More Texans?

    From a customer or employee point of view, if the experiences at Stevens Pass or Park City are any indication, that quality will tank and prices rise.

    I loved it when it was a third rate dump with the cheesy glitterball discos for the enlisted and hotels that had all inclusive deals for $160 a day.

    Swaris's investments haven't impacted the skiing much yet since the fur and champagne crowd at the Chedi can't really ski the Gemsstock. But will this bring more covid locals?

    I get back to thinking I'm lucky to have been there before.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    It will likely be good for local independent businesses in terms of numbers of patrons. Who's to say about the quality of patron? More Texans?

    From a customer or employee point of view, if the experiences at Stevens Pass or Park City are any indication, that quality will tank and prices rise.

    I loved it when it was a third rate dump with the cheesy glitterball discos for the enlisted and hotels that had all inclusive deals for $160 a day.

    Swaris's investments haven't impacted the skiing much yet since the fur and champagne crowd at the Chedi can't really ski the Gemsstock. But will this bring more covid locals?

    I get back to thinking I'm lucky to have been there before.
    TBF they have been pretty good at Whistler Blackcomb. They did fuck up some management decisions, but the past 3 seasons I think they have done amazing with what they had.
    This would make me more motivated to head to Europe if I had a week of free skiing that wasn't linked to a fancy hotel like the current epic pass.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    18,400
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    TBF they have been pretty good at Whistler Blackcomb.
    wasn't excited when OR got dumped from the Edge card

    Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    They did fuck up some management decisions, but the past 3 seasons I think they have done amazing with what they had.
    This would make me more motivated to head to Europe if I had a week of free skiing that wasn't linked to a fancy hotel like the current epic pass.
    umm, linking deals to vail properties is their basic MO, no?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    26,293
    The reason we started skiing in Europe was because of both high cost and vibe in the big North America resorts. The high cost seems to breed more assholes and makes for an unsustainable financial gradient.

    If the SkiArena half price card or the cheaper lift tickets disappear, that would suck. Hopefully the Euroski market is sufficiently robust to discourage that price change.

    One of the most striking things about skiing in Yurp is the number and variety of local independently owned businesses, from hotels to restaurants, both on mountain and in villages, to cheese or bread or ski shops. I'd much rather give my money to them than the venal vampiric suckjackals of late stage corporate conglomerates.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    7,630
    If you don't do it this year, it will be owned by Vail when you do.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Dreary Old Manhattan
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The reason we started skiing in Europe was because of both high cost and vibe in the big North America resorts. The high cost seems to breed more assholes and makes for an unsustainable financial gradient.

    If the SkiArena half price card or the cheaper lift tickets disappear, that would suck. Hopefully the Euroski market is sufficiently robust to discourage that price change.

    One of the most striking things about skiing in Yurp is the number and variety of local independently owned businesses, from hotels to restaurants, both on mountain and in villages, to cheese or bread or ski shops. I'd much rather give my money to them than the venal vampiric suckjackals of late stage corporate conglomerates.
    I'd echo much of this...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    9,062
    This makes me super sad. Unfortunately the ski experience and low cost of admission will be impacted. Fingers crossed nothing changes for next season. Sigh.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montrose, CO
    Posts
    4,077
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    If you don't do it this year, it will be owned by Vail when you do.
    This should be a bumper sticker. I say as I enjoy my $10.33 Vail beer. Sorry Euros.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    33,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The reason we started skiing in Europe was because of both high cost and vibe in the big North America resorts. The high cost seems to breed more assholes and makes for an unsustainable financial gradient.

    If the SkiArena half price card or the cheaper lift tickets disappear, that would suck. Hopefully the Euroski market is sufficiently robust to discourage that price change.

    One of the most striking things about skiing in Yurp is the number and variety of local independently owned businesses, from hotels to restaurants, both on mountain and in villages, to cheese or bread or ski shops. I'd much rather give my money to them than the venal vampiric suckjackals of late stage corporate conglomerates.
    Hopefully, the indie business thing and Europe having far stronger employee protection/benefit regulations will help reduce the damage.

    Fuck the Duopoly though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    306
    My take is ultimately no. Not better. The folks who sold should be happy. Gemstock is no country for Vail skiers. Homogenizing the product will gut the soul of the quirkiness that makes Andermatt fun. I’ve toured on the south side of the Oberalppass but have no idea what the lift served skiing to the north of the pass is like these days. Andermatt is reliable for snow because it catches northern and southern storms which is a plus but can result in a lot of low light skiing above tree line. I am in the Oberengadine right now (week before touring in Sahara sandstorms in Klosters — weird) and love this part of CH. But most all of the restaurants are mountain owned, so you get the same food in every place. Not as nice an experience as going to little, local, family run places that you find on the hill in so many Euro resorts. Corporate ownership of food & beverage service degrades the experience. I see more Italy in my future. I also see no North American destination skiing in my future. Not worth it.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    4,594
    I see mammoth in my future.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    13,235
    Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post
    Is this a good or a bad thing for us living and working in the Andermatt-Sedrun-Disentis SkiArena???
    It's good for you, your business and your family. Congrats Michele

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    关你屁事
    Posts
    8,124
    Kind of expected after the money poured into real estate though, right?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    It's good for you, your business and your family. Congrats Michele
    It'll probably just suck for all your friends and employees of the mountain.

    Name one hill they've bought that has been happy with them coming in and taking over. It's actually been the complete opposite. They are despised by mtn communities.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,676
    The good thing is they didn't buy full ownership. Current ownership maintains 40%. Unfortunately, Vail is taking over operations and, if you read their release, it sounds like lots of synergizing. I've never made it to Andermatt but had wanted to. Dropping it from my list until I see how things shake out. I hate to think of Vail destroying the vibe of Euro skiing the way they have in NA.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    390
    Having been to my first Vail Resort… Heavenly… I can honestly say from personal experience that, yes, Vail ruins things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •