Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Where can I buy a Vail / Epic Pass hat?

I don’t know too many people at WB or in Whistler who view the Vail takeover as positive. I’m surprised to hear that sentiment here. They gutted HR, marketing, and other vital departments that made WB number one. Grooming, F&B, lift ops, terrain parks were hollowed out and the overall product has suffered greatly IMO.

Certainly some of it is COVID related but most of the blame falls entirely on Vail’s excessively corporate structure.

Patrol wages at WB were already “good” by North American standards before the takeover, as a result of long work by ski patrollers on WB long before Vail. So that is certainly is no thanks to Vail.

Vail sucks for bike parks. This is no secret and is North American wide. Hopefully buying the biggest bike park in the world helped to educate them but I’m sceptical. This year’s investment in creekside is a positive step but I’ll hold my applause until I see what they actually do. Bike patrollers in Whistler are now greatly restricted with respect to how and what they can ride. Stories about mass pushback by the bike patrol last year are greatly exaggerated. It’s a giant corporate entity. You can get onboard or you can find a new job.

The increased minimum wage to $20/hour is nice. I’ll give credit we’re it’s due on that one. Hopefully that bumps up the wages for everyone in the corp who makes more than minimum wage.

Back in the day the $2000 ski pass was expensive and we all wished it was cheaper. Now after the cheap Epic pass crowds I wish we could go back to the expensive pass and keep more of the riff raff out.

Quote Originally Posted by paige. View Post
    But they aren't some evil conglomerate that ruins everything they touch.
    Whoa!!! That is a step too far.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    I don’t know too many people at WB or in Whistler who view the Vail takeover as positive. I’m surprised to hear that sentiment here. They gutted HR, marketing, and other vital departments that made WB number one. Grooming, F&B, lift ops, terrain parks were hollowed out and the overall product has suffered greatly IMO.

Certainly some of it is COVID related but most of the blame falls entirely on Vail’s excessively corporate structure.

Patrol wages at WB were already “good” by North American standards before the takeover, as a result of long work by ski patrollers on WB long before Vail. So that is certainly is no thanks to Vail.

Vail sucks for bike parks. This is no secret and is North American wide. Hopefully buying the biggest bike park in the world helped to educate them but I’m sceptical. This year’s investment in creekside is a positive step but I’ll hold my applause until I see what they actually do. Bike patrollers in Whistler are now greatly restricted with respect to how and what they can ride. Stories about mass pushback by the bike patrol last year are greatly exaggerated. It’s a giant corporate entity. You can get onboard or you can find a new job.

The increased minimum wage to $20/hour is nice. I’ll give credit we’re it’s due on that one. Hopefully that bumps up the wages for everyone in the corp who makes more than minimum wage.

Back in the day the $2000 ski pass was expensive and we all wished it was cheaper. Now after the cheap Epic pass crowds I wish we could go back to the expensive pass and keep more of the riff raff out.
    hear hear! Bland, soulless, homogenous corporatism.

Unfortunately agree with Todd and Clownshoe

Bring on the PE buyout

The new SkiArena's CEO is former Park City COO Micheal Goar, looking forward to meet him. Anybody actually knows him in here?

Quote Originally Posted by GKWood View Post
    Lots of talk about Vail's hotel/real estate/food and beverage play but to me the main thing is they've pushed even the casual skier into season passes. At ~60/day, the average 6-day a year skier would be out $360 a year in tickets. Now, with day tickets > $150, that same skier thinks they're getting an amazing deal, paying >$600/year for a season pass ("pass pays off after 4 days!"). Meanwhile Vail extracted an extra >$240 from that skier, and all of it upfront, so they are hedged against bad snow years too. That same skier might now be inclined to visit another (destination) resort that's on the pass and any extra $ that flow into the Vail coffers from that are just icing on the cake.

Of course, if you're used to skiing 30+ days, like most people on this forum, the math is different and the whole Vail season pass model probably saved you money, or at the very least allowed you to ski many more places for the same dollar.

I hope this is not the start of expensive day tickets at Andermatt. The good thing is competition is stiff in Europe so it's unlikely they will be able to get away with their $150/day day ticket play. Unless they think they can attract enough "Epic Americans" to replace the lost local business?
    My two cents here: I am sking in Andermatt for almost 20 years now. The Town (and Mountian) was sold to an Investor some 10 years ago. His plan was to build some kind of new Sankt Moritz for the super rich. It did not work out for him as he has hoped. Prices for everything went up, the number of visitors did not. It was already expensive and will get even more expensive.

I do not think it will work out as an investment for profit oriented shareholders. Why? Too much more affordable resorts are close by; 50% of the ski terain in Andermatt is not "beginner friendly" (but epic for freeriders). New build Appartments are soley for resellers (buy, wait, sell for profit), but sales are slow. The company who is currently running ski operations has already made tickets more expensive with the result of a significant drop in customers.

The place has fallen into the hands of billionaire investors and it shows. However, for fairness it needs to be stated that before the Investor came into town, Andermatt was slowly dying.
    Last edited by obi wan kenobi; 05-12-2022 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post
    The new SkiArena's CEO is former Park City COO Micheal Goar, looking forward to meet him. Anybody actually knows him in here?
    Paging SFB.

He was the top dog at Solitude before getting scooped up by Talisker for Canyons and then Vail for PCMR. I have met him a few times before Vail and he seemed like a stand up guy. However, the past few years have proved him to be a very "company" guy.
    One thing is for sure, with Mike Goal packing up and moving to CH to run ops, Vail has an aggressive long-term plan for change in the area. Business as usual in CH is not the same as business as usual in the US. Mike (and Vail) are in for a big surprise.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 05-12-2022 at 05:31 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by obi wan kenobi View Post
    My two cents here: I am sking in Andermatt for almost 20 years now. The Town (and Mountian) was sold to an Investor some 10 years ago. His plan was to build some kind of new Sankt Moritz for the super rich. It did not work out for him as he has hoped. Prices for everything went up, the number of visitors did not. It was already expensive and will get even more expensive.

I do not think it will work out as an investment for profit oriented shareholders. Why? Too much more affordable resorts are close by; 50% of the ski terain in Andermatt is not "beginner friendly" (but epic for freeriders). New build Appartments are soley for resellers (buy, wait, sell for profit), but sales are slow. The company who is currently running ski operations has already made tickets more expensive with the result of a significant drop in customers.

The place has fallen into the hands of billionaire investors and it shows. However, for fairness it needs to be stated that before the Investor came into town, Andermatt was slowly dying.
    Mmh, I live here and have a business here… I wouldn’t say it isn’t working, especially the skiers days and apartments sales part.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Did Vail buy more than the rights to run the Andermatt<->Dieni lifts? Did they buy any of the hotels?

It has definAtely gotten more expensive to ski around Andermatt in the last 10 years, but it's still much, much less expensive than a vacation at virtually any ski area in N. America.

Godly skiing from the Gemsstock to Disentis too.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Did Vail buy more than the rights to run the Andermatt<->Dieni lifts? Did they buy any of the hotels?

It has definAtely gotten more expensive to ski around Andermatt in the last 10 years, but it's still much, much less expensive than a vacation at virtually any ski area in N. America.

Godly skiing from the Gemsstock to Disentis too.
    The land plot at the bottom of Dieni’s chairlift has always belonged to the ski area and it has a building permit for up to 1400 beds… I don’t think that they took it out of the deal. They haven’t spoke about it yet

Epic pass will include Andermatt Sedrun already from this coming winter, but not Disentis, for that we'll have to wait at least one more season

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i worked for/under mike for a good 7 or 8 seasons at sillytude
    and at that time he was one of the most solid mnt managers ive worked for and everybody respected and liked him
    id work for him again
    but only if i can work for you too for hots n a cots
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Epic pass will include Andermatt Sedrun already from this coming winter, but not Disentis, for that we'll have to wait at least one more season
    Will the usual SkiArena ticket including from Anderm@ through Disentis still be available? Or will Disentis be on its own pass exclusive to Anderm@<->Dieni?

Already starting to see lots of questions about going to Andermatt from Epic passholders...very interested to see if the Epic produces big swings for the zone.

"Fail Resorts"....the adventure of a lift line!

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Already starting to see lots of questions about going to Andermatt from Epic passholders...very interested to see if the Epic produces big swings for the zone.
    With so many better not run by evil company ski areas in the Alps, why would you go there? Support Indy ski areas
    wherever you go, for REAL skiing experience at REAL prices with REAL people. Abasin without Fail Resorts is the best thing that ever happened!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by General Forums View Post
    With so many better not run by evil company ski areas in the Alps, why would you go there? Support Indy ski areas
    wherever you go, for REAL skiing experience at REAL prices with REAL people. Abasin without Fail Resorts is the best thing that ever happened!!!!
    You're an idiot if you don't think Andermatt-Sedrun-Disentis is absolutely REAL people, REAL skiing and REAL prices. Vail is just a tiny wrinkle in the question of skiing in a fucking wonderland.

I ski and patrol at an Indy. I've never experience hospitality and good value proposition that is skiing in Sedurn.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    You're an idiot if you don't think Andermatt-Sedrun-Disentis is absolutely REAL people, REAL skiing and REAL prices. Vail is just a tiny wrinkle in the question of skiing in a fucking wonderland.

I ski and patrol at an Indy. I've never experience hospitality and good value proposition that is skiing in Sedurn.
    Yeah, you are showing your ignorance of skiing and hospitality if you shit on Andermatt.

2-post General Bot should be ignored

Go to Rueras, stay with Vendul, SKI, sip grappa in the grotto

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Will the usual SkiArena ticket including from Anderm@ through Disentis still be available? Or will Disentis be on its own pass exclusive to Anderm@<->Dieni?
    Yes the regulär Ticket will Cover everything… train too. What I’ve heard is that Disentis should also be included in the epic pass starting next year

I'm ready to start making plans for next year's EuroBBI23 gathering.

What dates are we shooting for?

The half price passes went up from 50chf to 69 chf, $20 bump. Still a crushing deal.

I'm debating a week floating around chasing snow, then a week+ at the mtn. lodge.
    Anyone else got a tentative plan going yet?

So stoked, I can hardly wait...

Oh, and who will you nominate for this season's skilarships?

Anyone else see Switzerland has a plan if energy gets scarce (oil and gas) and things go to level tw they close the resorts? I have a hard time believing the seat of capitalism would do that, but who knows.

Not a great source I know

https://snowbrains.com/could-the-glo...s-ski-resorts/

Oh Django I am super stoked too, just not sure how funds line up this year

Yeah Cat, I've been working extra just to have a euro nest-egg. Wanna experience more this year, but on my dime.

I see the flight I had last year is about the same price, gonna upgrade my flight this time. Maybe fly into somewhere else and Train/ski to Sedrun.

Train to Ski is always a good option.
    For dates we have to wait for Buster.
    My take on the energy emergency is that local authorities are rising awareness ... and in Switzerland it works.. they'll all turn down the temperature, will travel less and switch of their lights more often. that's why I don't think major shot down are to be expected... hey we are the only country that skied through COVID

Alias rice is this years organizer.

I’m thumbing in a plan
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 08-22-2022 at 03:15 PM.