Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    The monkey puzzle trees at caviahue are awesome but the skiing is mediocre, at best. It’s on a wouldn’t go back list because it was meh.

I lucked into apparently really rare good conditions (powder) in New Zealand and wouldn’t return for entirely opposite reasons - awesome experience I’m unlikely to repeat

The alps by a combo of weather/terrain/trees/laws/lifts seemed to make lift served deep pow more rare. But still better than tahoe
    I hiked to the top of Caviahue. That was worth it.

I had great snow at other places in NZ, just not at Cardrona and Coronet Peak. Oh and Mt Hutt which was shut on the three separate occasions I tried to ski it over the course of my month long visit.

You can load the dice in snowsure areas of Europe.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I rode a lift at 49 North in WA about 15 years ago with a guy who was on a quest to ski every area in North America. Nice guy; I should have got his contact info. I wonder if he’s done yet.
    I slept in the toilet block at 49 North on a US & Canada roadie back in 2000.

Woke to awesome powder but no lifts running

Quote Originally Posted by mogul5480 View Post
    Most exotic: Santa Teresita van shuttles (El Colorado Backcountry), Chile
    Best run: top to bottom at Les Grands Montets along the Glacier Rognon (longest), Center of Gravity Couloir at Snowbird or Chimenea couloir at La Parva or Big Couloir at Big Sky
    How completely bizarre that you've named 5 random, off-the-beaten-path runs in 3 different countries, all requiring a scramble or hike to access, but which I have ALSO skied and consider exceptional. There can't be that many people in the world who have skied the exact same mix of 5 runs can there? It makes me wonder if one of my ski buds changed his online alias but never told me... LOL
    "Don't bug me, granny. I don't dig slick chicks trying to goof me up." --Tragg

Definitely have not changed the alias, though that is really funny and random. The Chilean van shuttles were guided by a guy occasionally posting under cover here on the board, fwiw.

Oh I forgot that the best coincidence of all with maskinut is that my coldest day was ALSO -25 degrees at Mont Sutton, QC (thankfully no wind...-10 with -75 wind chill at Stratton was much worse). I dropped a glove off the lift onto a closed trail and had to ski down to it with my hand in my crotch to avoid frostbite.

I've added two this season already so here is a bump for 69...Ski Brule in the Yoopeee. 68 was Seven Oaks in Boone, Ia last weekend.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Has anyone skied at over 100 ski resorts?

Elko Ski Bowl opening Jan 7

I’d love to go there
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I've added two this season already so here is a bump for 69...Ski Brule in the Yoopeee. 68 was Seven Oaks in Boone, Ia last weekend.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    69! Nice!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

15 more areas added in the past year:
    262 SNØ Oslo, Norway
    263 Austdal Glacier, Norway
    264 Valloire-Valmeinier, France
    265 Sansicario, Italy
    266 Sestriere, Italy
    267 Sauze d'Oulx, Italy
    268 Puy St. Vincent, Fance
    269 Montgenevre, France
    270 Claviere, Italy
    271 Auron, France
    272 Alpe d'Huez, France
    273 Les Deux Alpes, France
    274 Sybelles, France
    275 Pebble Creek, ID
    276 Great Divide, MT

We have a small group at firsttracksonline.com, but it is a well traveled one:
    https://www.firsttracksonline.com/bo...e.14795/page-2
    Individual details are on page 1 of that thread.
    http://bestsnow.net
    "The most complete, comprehensive and objective guide to snowfall--and both prevailing and expected snow conditions--at North America's ski resorts ever published"- Powder Magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
    http://bestsnow.net/bionet.htm was what Leslie Anthony wrote about me for the 1995 Powder magazine cover story. At that point I had skied 62 areas, all in the western US except 4 days in New Zealand in 1982, 6 at Whistler in 1991 and 4 in the Northeast associated with business trips.

Leslie is Canadian and touted interior B.C. skiing including snowcat and heliskiing, and you can see from the length of the British Columbia list that I heeded that advice starting in 1997 and have been up there nearly every season since.

Mote details on my ski seasons can be found at http://bestsnow.net/vertfeet.htm by clicking through to regions. There are also links to selected TR's on those regional pages.

I place some priority on skiing new places and the pace of that quest picked up considerably after divorce in 2004, retirement in 2010 and finding a partner in crime with Liz in 2011. She had skied 85 areas when we met and is now at 195.

Living in western North America is a deterrent to skiing far flung regions while gainfully employed and with family obligations. When I retired in September 2010, the published reports were coming out of the first commercial ski cruise to Antarctica by Doug Stoup's Ice Axe expeditions in 2009, so I signed up for the next one in November 2011. I also took my first Japan trip in January 2011. Since 2013 most of the new areas have been in the Alps. Being retired makes it easier to go over there for 2+ weeks with a flexible schedule to chase the best weather and conditions.
    Chiming in a year late to give major respect to TonyC. Bestsnow.net has started me on some great adventures over the years!