• Yes. You don’t want an STD

13 18.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I don't have anything against people wearing helmets
    What a relief it is to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Will they protect you from everything? No. But they offer more protection than not.
    This is really it right here.

Someone earlier in this thread said something along the lines of "if you really wanted to protect yourself you'd wear a full motorcycle helmet." That's not wrong, that would indeed be a much higher level of protection than a typical ski helmet, but I happen to have known at least one person that died from head trauma while wearing a full face auto racing helmet with current Snell certification. Actually I think it's two people, but I can't remember for certain if the second was technically head trauma as it was an especially horrific accident and I've blanked out some of the details.

In any case, all helmets have limitations and compromises, and all helmets will protect your head more than no helmet. Up to you to weigh those limitations, compromises, and consequences for yourself. For me, it's led to owning about a dozen different helmets for different purposes.

Yes, but it doesn't fit correctly because my heads fucking huge so I need to get fitted for a new one. Sweet Protection carries some lightweight ones I like.

Started wearing a helmet many years ago when I went skiing with a gps. Realized I was hitting 50 on a pretty regular basis, and over 70 if I tried. Seemed ridiculous to be going those speeds relatively close to trees and other solid objects without at least some sort of safety equipment.

Helmets? A choice or mandate?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    What a relief it is to read this.
    Good one.

But come near me without a helmet and I’m going full on Mark Metcalf on your ass.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Good one.

But come near me without a helmet and I’m going full on Mark Metcalf on your ass.

You’re going to feed him carrots from your mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You’re going to feed him carrots from your mouth?

I guess I prolly teed myself up for something I don’t even know but I was referencing the authority figure from the twisted sister videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    I guess I prolly teed myself up for something I don’t even know but I was referencing the authority figure from the twisted sister videos.

Yeah and that character was based off Neidermeyer from Animal House.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This is really it right here.

Someone earlier in this thread said something along the lines of "if you really wanted to protect yourself you'd wear a full motorcycle helmet." That's not wrong, that would indeed be a much higher level of protection than a typical ski helmet, but I happen to have known at least one person that died from head trauma while wearing a full face auto racing helmet with current Snell certification. Actually I think it's two people, but I can't remember for certain if the second was technically head trauma as it was an especially horrific accident and I've blanked out some of the details.

In any case, all helmets have limitations and compromises, and all helmets will protect your head more than no helmet. Up to you to weigh those limitations, compromises, and consequences for yourself. For me, it's led to owning about a dozen different helmets for different purposes.
    This...

And I tend to not give my friends shit about skiing without one.

Last close call was an easy day with friends and little kids, caught an edge on a revert and was happy to have my helmet on. I don't think I hit 12 mph that day.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Yeah and that character was based off Neidermeyer from Animal House.

Oh shit, right, lol, I need to watch that again completely blanked that

I usually wear a helmet but I will skip it touring. If it's snowing it gets filled up no matter how I strap it on and usually I'm meadow skipping.
    However if my husband makes me accompany him on something more spicy...I bring it

kinda funny helmet story- We got married on the Tram and were going to ski down to our reception at the base of the mtn.
    I was not going to wear my helmet to preserve my wedding hair (I usually ski with one) but my MIL, Beth, was all worried that something tragic would happen on our wedding day, so I agreed to wear it
    When I told my hair dresser that I was planning to wear the helmet down he said, "So I guess Beth wants your hair to look like shit"
    skid luxury

Wow.

How does one get married on the tram?
    Didn’t know that was possible.

Also. What was your route selection down?
    Such a once in a lifetime ride. I would have a hard time deciding.

Very cool story.

PS. Full flowing wedding gown? I hope so. Fkna
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    If it’s above freezing and sunny I’m wearing glasses not goggles.

If it’s warm (above 45) I’m wearing my MTB helmet and glasses.

It’s amazing to me to see everybody wearing goggles and goretex when it’s 50 deg out.

To each his own. The problem with glasses IME is fogging. I wear glacier style sunglasses--because if you don't have good protection from light coming in from the sides on sunny spring days you're working on getting cataracts. But those style glasses aren't ventilated as well as double lens ski goggles. Even my cyclist style wrap-arounds fog worse than my ski goggles--which don't fog at all.

I wish I could ski bare headed. I wish I had hair. For me a well ventilated helmet is more comfortable than a ski cap. I pull the ear flaps off on all but the coldest days, and then I usually wind up pulling them off anyway.

+1 most of the glasses I have fog like crazy, the more wrapped the worse, so I’m using lifestyle glasses that aren’t curved at all when ski touring. I’ll do some research about the cataract stuff you’re talking about, seems a bit worrying ?

you need the cat crap…

Name:  AA72C7B8-5562-4B6A-B92C-326E97DB2E9C.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  14.4 KB

the #1 choice of cool cats everywhere…

Name:  03ACB560-2282-498C-B08C-0DEE31C40CEB.jpeg
Views: 274
Size:  45.1 KB

fact.

Huh, my sunglasses never fog unless it’s puking snow or raining. That’s when I usually wear a helmet and goggles. Nice and warm and dry. My eyes only water on the first run wearing sunglasses, then they reach a balance I guess and it’s no problem. Wiley X wrap frames. Everyone is different. Yesterday was fun in the sun with sunglasses and my Navy watch cap. I’ve had it since November ‘87 got it issued in boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    you need the cat crap…fact.
    I've tried that stuff. It works okay. Sort of. Saliva probably works just as well.

Head protection aside, from a functional standpoint, helmets are superior to hats in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I usually wear a helmet but I will skip it touring. If it's snowing it gets filled up no matter how I strap it on and usually I'm meadow skipping.
    However if my husband makes me accompany him on something more spicy...I bring it

kinda funny helmet story- We got married on the Tram and were going to ski down to our reception at the base of the mtn.
    I was not going to wear my helmet to preserve my wedding hair (I usually ski with one) but my MIL, Beth, was all worried that something tragic would happen on our wedding day, so I agreed to wear it
    When I told my hair dresser that I was planning to wear the helmet down he said, "So I guess Beth wants your hair to look like shit"
    Beth is a wise women, but you already knew that because it rubbed off on her son.

need a new helmut. where should I go for end of season deals?

I figured this was vaguely related to the thread topic and not any further afield than wedding hair.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    need a new helmut. where should I go for end of season deals?

I figured this was vaguely related to the thread topic and not any further afield than wedding hair.

I saw that Craniology (a helmet store) has a closeout store in Frisco if you are in the area any time soon.

Like said before, a lot of times when I eat shit skiing it’s a weird fall. I was coming back to the car on the bypass road a the Bird, hung a right at the bottom of the run to head back to the bypass, and my right ski caught spring soft snow. My left ski did not. I pinwheeled hard clockwise and in an effort to not blow my knee, landed hard on my back and cracked the back of my head on the part of the snow that was not soft. Rang my bell. I’m ok, but I bet there would’ve been a concussion in my future if I hadn’t been wearing a helmet. Still not a fan of mandates, but I’ll always wear one.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    Like said before, a lot of times when I eat shit skiing it’s a weird fall. I was coming back to the car on the bypass road a the Bird, hung a right at the bottom of the run to head back to the bypass, and my right ski caught spring soft snow. My left ski did not. I pinwheeled hard clockwise and in an effort to not blow my knee, landed hard on my back and cracked the back of my head on the part of the snow that was not soft. Rang my bell. I’m ok, but I bet there would’ve been a concussion in my future if I hadn’t been wearing a helmet. Still not a fan of mandates, but I’ll always wear one.

I know what you mean about the weird wipeouts. Several of my worst sh*t eatngs have been weird, unexpected stuff like you describe. Out of nowhere stuff that make me want to wear a helmet given the inability to brace myself or prepare myself for the impact.

I get it. I usually wear it even when my kids aren’t around.

But a few days a year I raw dog. And it’s delightful.

I tend to slow down on those days. Huh.

The bell ring crash stories remind me of pond hockey in my youth. We all bought helmets eventually. Nothing in skiing is like having your bell rung on ice. At least skiing you are usually sliding downhill. Skating and falling backwards is brutal
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I. At least skiing you are usually sliding downhill. Skating and falling backwards is brutal
    I fell off the back of my bike riding over a rock feature kind of wheelied out , I didnt think anything of it at the time but I later noticed a big crack in the foam so it was time for another helmet
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

the hardest hit to my dome i ever took was in the resort parking lot lol. was glad i was wearing my helmet cuz i didnt want more shit to carry.