Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    There might be more than one...
    Good point. I think AKPowdermonkey was taking flying lessons and is a pilot now. Perhaps he'll weigh in?

I've flown RC planes and put a couple into the ground pretty good. I don't have any experience with jets though so I'll reserve speculating on the cause of this crash.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    US-trained pilots spend most of their simulator time dealing with emergencies. Not so much in other parts of the world.
    Patently untrue.

So what are the theories we've come up with so far in this thread?

--pilot suicide
    --frozen pitot tubes
    --5G
    --ran out of gas
    --stabilizer fell off
    --??

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

--pilot suicide
    --frozen pitot tubes
    --5G
    --ran out of gas
    --??
    Gravity?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Patently untrue.
    Isn't that the argument Boeing used to hide the fact that the Max was fubar? Those damn foreign pilots just dont know how to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Gravity?
    I suppose we could add that, but that could be the cause of every air crash since the Wright brothers made the first flight.

The 73 max story is akin to the whole point of a doomsday machine being lost if you keep it a secret.

I suppose we could add that, but that could be the cause of every air crash since the Wright brothers made the first flight.
    Yep! I have sat on several bridge collapse review boards and that joke never gets old, or fails to piss of all the stuffy PHD’s.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Wtf is up with this Chinese air crash?

One theory could be a poorly executed emergency descent either started a cascade of badness, or was part of the chain of events that ended on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilot suicide/terrorism or horizontal stab jackscrew failure are the two scenarios I thought of.

See the Alaska flight 261 crash: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska...e_and_recovery
    The Chinese plane dropped much more drastically, though.

The Air France scenario is unlikely in my opinion because it looks like a commanded descent.

It’s believed that the Air France A330 flew through an incredibly dense cloud that filled the pitot tubes with super cooled high moisture air that the pitot tube heat system could not handle. This to was a combination of failures; both the internal design of those particular tubes and the pitot tube heat system design.

Too much conflicting flight data will kill the redundancy of the auto flight/ thrust system and shut it down; then it’s up to to the humans. The pilots thought they were going much slower than they actually were so disoriented and eventually got so out of wack and lift stalled the plane.

Once this was investigated and determined to be the cause it triggered an emergency replacement of all Airbus planes with those tubes. We were about 10 years into taking delivery of 60 A300-600R Freighter’s that had the same pitot tubes as the A330’s system. I forget how many planes we had but they were all grounded or restricted to none icing conditions until the tubes were changed; I changed many tubes because of that and they’re kind of a pain in the ass; especially to test.

I was just kidding about running out of gas cuz its so expensive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_...20Glider%20%22.

but in this ^^ case they ran out of fuel cuz of a few misteaks, took off with only 45% fuel load and when all the holes in the swiss cheese lined up there was not enough fuel

fortunately they landed it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    horizontal stab jackscrew failure
    "Manual Reversion" training during my initial was a day I'll never forget. Once we got that (barely) flying tank stopped on the ground we both looked like this
    Name:  sweaty.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  37.9 KB
    not even joking.

The jackscrew on the mad dog was a known issue, but has one ever broken (or jammed) on the 73?

Even just a major hydraulic failure is such a handful on that airplane. If the speed gets away from you, the control force required is nuts.

I didn't need another reason to loathe flying but here it is.

No jack screw issues or failures on the 37. In the 90s they had rudder issues that caused some crashes I recall, but only the 300s and 400s.

Gravity?

Pure. Gravity.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I didn't need another reason to loathe flying but here it is.
    The 737 is the most successful large jet ever built. There are over 9000 in service today. One is taking off or landing every 2 seconds, all day, every day. About 2000 of them are in the air as I type this. You just don't hear about it.

Aside from being preposterously loud, I loved that machine.

--pilot suicide
    --frozen pitot tubes
    --5G
    --ran out of gas
    --stabilizer fell off
    --??
    Sully retired..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I think someone forgot to press a button on a magic island somewhere.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Gravity?

It wasn't me.

--pilot suicide
    --frozen pitot tubes
    --5G
    --ran out of gas
    --stabilizer fell off
    --??
    Isn't really worth the time to speculate based on available info, but oh well.

– Fight in the cockpit
    – Load shift causing unflyable weight & balance
    – Tail ripped off from aircraft overspeed resulting from icing or flight control system malfunction
    – Boeing stock inched too high
    – Uighur concentration camp directly below
    – COVID lockdown violator on board

I flew on a few China Eastern flights when in country about 10 years ago and I wasn't impressed. No smoking in the lavatory? Forget that stupid shit. Light it up! FA's didn't react to the dude. Airplane was scuzzball. I will never disparage the 737 though. Good record for the insane amount of collective flight hours on the fleet.

I can only quell my horror for those passengers by watching this video for an ounce of levity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srlBF1eLNGg

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    "Manual Reversion" training during my initial was a day I'll never forget. Once we got that (barely) flying tank stopped on the ground we both looked like this
    Name:  sweaty.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  37.9 KB
    I can only try and imagine, but between the stress of the failure situation and the pure physical effort that must be involved that doesn't seem surprising. Respect!

Manual Reversion Flight Control System (MRFCS) Switch:

If the aircraft has suffered dual hydraulic system failure, the MRFCS is a back up control system using direct cable linkages to the pitch and yaw control surface actuators. Roll control is provided through the aileron trim tabs. This provides the ability for moderate maneuvering. MRFCS is activated by placing the MRFCS switch in the MAN REVERSION position (down). When in the up FLT CONT NORM position, flight input control acts normally.

The important thing here is that your elevator/rudder control is now directly linked to how hard you can pull back on the stick or kick the pedals, and the only aileron control is coming from your trim tabs. You're flying with limited control authority. You need to do your best to try and stay "ahead" of the jet and anticipate what it's going to try and do next and what you'll need to do to counter it.

I’m going to lean away from a stab/jackscrew issue, but not entirely rule it out.

The stab is for trim; nose up or nose down, depending on what’s required; Center of Gravity ( CG ), Fuel config and all that shit. These modern stab system designs have incredible redundancy; hydraulic brakes on the screw itself as well as other mechanisms to prevent uncontrolled movement. This was controlled in my opinion.

Buddy the pilot spilled his slurpy on the instrument panel
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My first instinct would definitely be a conscious act by whoever was flying the plane.