Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Pow Skis Recs

Hey all, beginner mag here. I've only got 10 days skiing underneath my belt. All resort (backcountry with more experienced friends/family is probably at least a season away) skiing blues and trying to work my way to blacks eventually.

Trying to figure out where to start for powder skis next season.

I'm 6' and 175 lbs. I have some skinnier hard pack skis (DPS Cassiars I got on ebay for $150) - 87cm x 178cm and feeling pretty comfortable. Also skiing a 120 flex boot right now without any problems. East coast based, but expect to do a decent amount of powder skiing next year in SLC/Montana (Whitefish).

What do I need to consider when choosing a powder ski - how much is a ski I'll grow into important? Where is a dedicated powder ski vs. a more all-mountain like an Enforcer 104 the right choice for me? Is it silly to try and find a ski I can use for both backcountry and resort? Is that the cart before the horse?

Thanks for helping a beginner mag with some questions that are likely to be pretty basic!

There are a bunch of 108 to 115ish width skis that are easy to ski - that's where I'd look for a pow ski that won't be sketchy or weird for general resort conditions. It's probably worth demoing a few before buying - get an idea of what shapes, flex profiles, etc you have the most fun on. With only 10 days skiing so far it's hard to know what's the best fit for you. Some camber underfoot, rockered tips / tails, medium stiffness - I wouldn't go for anything out of the norm until you have a reason to.

If you're comfortable buying used skis you'll come out ahead too - it's very likely what is fun or skis well for you will change over time.

Seconded on demoing as much as you can, and/or just picking up a hell of a deal on something around 110 underfoot.

You can either spend all the time in the world figuring out what the perfect pow ski for you is, or find a screaming deal on some used sticks and jump in with both feet.

I went the first route. Looking back to my first pair, they seemed to have decided a lot more than just my skiing style. I'm happy with them and the life they seem to have decided for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Go for a screaming deal. If you demo a bunch and pick exactly what you think is perfect for you, you're wasting time and money. You'll be improving rapidly and what's best for you now won't be best after 10 more ski days. Don't bother, just get something around 110 as noted above and be ready to replace them in another year.

Soul 7, no joke

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Soul 7, no joke

just came to say the same exact thing.

OP, I don’t know if you should be looking at something powder specific, or if you should be looking at like a rustler 11 or a enforcer unleashed 110 or something in that realm. They are going to ski better in bounds when shit is chopped up but will both do great in powder. Both that I just mentioned, I wouldn’t hesitate to tour on at the same time. I’m sure a few others will mention like a wildcat or a BG and those are great options too. It’s a crap shoot for whether you will ski powder next year out west or if it will be low tide, so get something that will do it all.

I’m on the east coast as well and spend my time between a Corvus and a Atris and I have a nocta for when it actually snows, but they are like a fish extinguisher, usually not needed, but glad to have it when I do need it. My Atris has become my go to for softish snow, corn, and overall just fun. When I want to rip or conditions are trash wet chopped sleet the Corvus is the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Soul 7, no joke
    Thirded

So popular. And easy to ski. And should be plenty used for sale.

If only they were red
    . . .

+4 used Soul 7

Thanks folks. Was thinking about going used, so will definitely go that route. Will scope out some Soul 7s and a few others mentioned here.

Appreciate all the wisdom!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    +4 used Soul 7
    +5 and i don't even ski. That was the first thing that came to mind as I saw the thread title.

I did get an ex-gf some salomon QST 100s as 1st pow skis (east coast) and she loved them. Screaming deal kind of situation. I think they also come in male.
    27° 18°

Got a pair of soul 7 from a friend. Free.

Put my 14 year old on them. A bit long for him.
    But he stepped right up and it was a game changer.

It’s a legit ski. Not a charger. But comfy. Like an old shoe.
    . . .

Private full-day lesson and demo skis with the instructor.
    Or just get the red ones.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

how much is a ski I'll grow into important?
    Not important at all if you're willing to upgrade in a season or two after you have a better idea of your style and what you like in general.

Where is a dedicated powder ski vs. a more all-mountain like an Enforcer 104 the right choice for me?
    I'd go for something 105-110 underfoot. Should serve you the vast majority of days.

Is it silly to try and find a ski I can use for both backcountry and resort? Is that the cart before the horse?
    Yes. Get something for inbounds and build a touring setup later. Very few people I know regularly tour on 50/50 setups.

I recommend something in the low 180s and approx 105-110 underfoot with some tip & tail rocker. Especially given that you're on the east coast and your current ski is 87 mm underfoot. Also keep in mind that when you're traveling, you're likely booking trips in advance so you need an all-round ski that can handle most conditions. I doubt you're at the place where you're truly storm chasing -- aka you check weather model runs, see a big storm developing to hit xyz place, and drive or book a last-minute flight to ski pow.

FWIW, I'm about your size, and I ski a 186 ON3P Jeffrey 110 for 90% of my inbounds days/conditions in MT, CO, etc.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Yeah, add me to the Soul 7 endorsement list. I've never skied them but everything I've read seems to fit your needs. Thought about it last night when I made my earlier post but neglected to include it at the time. Again, get a screaming deal (should be easy enough) and ski them a year or two until your skills outgrow them and sell them at probably close to the same price you bought them for.

Do Soul 7's do anything better than Enforcer Frees or QST 106's? I thought those skis were similarly easy but less limited.

I'd add QST106s to the list too.

Buy whichever you get the best deal on. I'd suggest that you'd be well served going second hand and cheap for now too.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Do Soul 7's do anything better than Enforcer Frees or QST 106's? I thought those skis were similarly easy but less limited.
    From what I have heard, aren't the enforcers a little more chargey? - that might be a little too much ski for a beginner skier.

On the short list from my head:
    Shreditor 102
    Wreckoner 102
    Soul 7 or Soul 7 HD
    QST 99 or 106
    J ski All play

You should be looking out for a ski with:
    - a moderate weight ~ 2000g in a 185ish
    - If you're on the east coast and new at skiing, I wouldn't exceed 180cm in length.
    - Softer flex pattern (hence the rec for more freestyle-ish skis)
    - medium width ~ 97-110mm underfoot
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

yeah something 100-110 underfoot

taking my kid the snow boarder on a hut trip he bought new ski boots but I scouted on-line for a used setup which was (what else ) a rossi soul 7 or some kind of rossi 7 thing and he did really well on that ski

the lightly used 2 yr old touring ski/ binding/ skin setup was < 900 $ while buying it new would have been maybe twice that

I look for & buy mostly slightly used skis cuz the price is nice , no tax, already mounted, the only problem is I see the deals & drag home way more skis than I should
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-21-2022 at 12:24 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Look for a 106-110 intermediate ski in a mid 180’s length. Being a beginner skier I don’t think you will benefit from a real pow ski, 116-120 underfoot. You will suffer on groomers.
    Most resorts, even on storm days, will go to chopped pow before lunch. If not technically strong an overly wide ski will be a ton of effort.
    Definitely want tip and tail rocker with some camber underfoot. Several good recommendations here.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    From what I have heard, aren't the enforcers a little more chargey?
    The tips don't fold like the Soul 7's but the Enforcers are dead easy to ski. I don't like either, but I'd recommend the Nordicas to a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    but they are like a fish extinguisher, usually not needed, but glad to have it when I do need it.

Autocorrect, or is your life slightly out of the ordinary?

Big fan of my Wndrs in reverse camber

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post

Both.

Not to thread drift but I am on E104 and really like them but didn't like the QST 106. For some reason I found them really hard to ski - felt more like they wanted to be slid, couldn't carve at all. I also like having metal in a ski.

I just echo what everyone else has said about buying used, and buying used vs. demo. Especially at this time of the year and for a beginner. IMO a good and very attainable price on a *good* ski+binding+skin touring setup is $600 and for ski+binding resort setup is $350.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Reverse Jesus.

Oh lord, how will we feed a village on only three fish?

THREE? More like NONE! Good luck!

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!