Solutions For Flexing Out Hybrid Touring Boots?

Does anyone have any mitigation strategies for flexing out of hybrid touring boots? I have the Hawx 130s, and whenever landing a bigger hit to flat, I can fully feel the separate 'ankle' section of the boot folding over the 'foot' portion. Almost feels like there is a natural tendency to fold at this point. Is there a mechanical solution I can employ without buying a new boot?

In the future, would a 3 piece boot like the Lupo or the Dynafit Hoji Free offer better performance in this regard (even, smooth flex on downhill impact)?
    Last edited by mattyTru; 03-20-2022 at 08:49 AM.

Lupo would be too soft but the hoji free is stiff enough that you wouldn't have a problem

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

I have a similar problem of my Hawx boots folding around the ankle. Keeping the upper buckle in the foot section as tights as possible helps but isn't my preference. My next plan is to try a beefier intuition liner that can add some stiffness.

https://www.pulsefitsystem.com/accessories

This could help, but sounds like you’re sending too hard inbounds on your touring boots

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    https://www.pulsefitsystem.com/accessories

This could help, but sounds like you’re sending too hard inbounds on your touring boots
    I'm thinking I might try to make something like that from an old boot, just don't want to lose too much touring mobility. Gonna try to think of a way to make it removeable!

'Sending too hard' feels like a cop-out for something that is advertised as being a 50-50 hybrid. I'm only 165 lbs. I wonder which touring boot Atomic freeride athletes use.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyTru View Post
    I wonder which touring boot Atomic freeride athletes use.
    Helicopter
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

that pulse thingy will make a boot 20%+ stiffer, adds a few grams, and doesn't interfer with the walkability at all.

I flex out the atomic hawx pretty easy inbounds (especially with heavier skis) as well. I use my lange rx liner instead which helps but isn't quite enough, planning to grab a bulkier hybrid boot with more like a 80/20 use case

I flex out the hawx xtd 130 inbounds without even sending off anything. Pricy option unless you find them used, but Zipfit world cup liners fixed that.

I'm thinking I might try to make something like that from an old boot, just don't want to lose too much touring mobility. Gonna try to think of a way to make it removeable!

'Sending too hard' feels like a cop-out for something that is advertised as being a 50-50 hybrid. I'm only 165 lbs. I wonder which touring boot Atomic freeride athletes use.
    Powerwraps helped me with this in the Cochise, but it's still an issue when doing spring anything; I'm only 145#.

Temperature impact on the polyamide is huge. That'll be an issue with pretty much anything "50/50" outside of the Krypton or something with a cast pin retrofit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It's called a hybrid boot for a reason.

Also, the pros ski the redster CS 130 when they don't have to walk uphill, which is way more boot than the hawx ultra.

I think it’s in the XTD thread, someone solved the same issue he was having by adding a Krypton tongue. I think pretty much any tongue would help, plus it’s removable for long ups.

The pulse system interferes with the forward range of motion. I’ve made many similar things that are oriented the opposite way and focus on stiffening up the lower without compromising walk mode. Ive documented it here. No need to make it removable.

On my own hawx, I retrofitted a Dalbello tongue and it made the boot ten times better. Search lupohawx on here.

The hawx tend to be softer than many boots and get dramatically softer over time. It’s a side affect of being so light.