Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I think youthful exuberance, ego, and confirmation bias play a big roll as well, but that is a hard thing to teach to a young person living in a bucolic mountain town with a good upbringing and a penchant for solo excursions in deep pow.
    The day after this incident, from the top of Lift 9, Telluride, you could see tracks across Bear Creek from someone skiing down to the '11's' and the week before there were other big line tracks across the valley. My buddys, all very experienced BC skiers and knowing the persistent slab issue and dust layers, could not believe these lines were being attempted now. I keep wondering how the local network and 'recent conquests' influenced Devin's route choice two valleys over.

We camp, XC ski, bike and hike around Trout lake a lot, along with driving by to and from Telluride. It'll be sobering knowing another soul died recreating in this idyllic place (center right). A few years ago another guy died skiing solo above Matterhorn (left out of frame).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8533.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	348.0 KB 
ID:	410637

RIP Devin:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7473.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	369.5 KB 
ID:	410638
    Last edited by Alpinord; 03-24-2022 at 12:49 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

If I remember that Matterhorn death was also a solo skier, right?

We’ve also seen some pretty scary lines being put down around Red & Silverton. It seems like only a few years ago those lines were only skied during times of relative stability. It seems like more people are pushing that line the last 2 seasons. Or maybe I’m just getting older and more bubble-wrapped.

I only have 2 or 3 ski partners that I tour with regularly.

When it’s unstable, which is often down here in the San Juan, we meadow skip tree runs. Good fun, won’t die.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I lol’d

Core Shot lives in the flatlands?

I was born and raised in the flatlands.
    Truth.
    Corn fields and pent up hormones.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    yeah but he'll come in brag about how he used to beater around Jackson when he was young, just wait.
    Get off my lawn. Dammit.
    When I was young apres vous was a fixed double chair.
    . . .

PS. Not sure how this thread got so off track.

Devin seems like a nice kid. Many here knew him.

RIP.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    PS. Not sure how this thread got so off track.
    yes, you actually do you disingenuous fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    yes, you actually do you disingenuous fuck.
    Fuck

You.

You derailed the thread. Scroll up. Read. Wtf.

RIP.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    If I remember that Matterhorn death was also a solo skier, right?

We’ve also seen some pretty scary lines being put down around Red & Silverton. It seems like only a few years ago those lines were only skied during times of relative stability. It seems like more people are pushing that line the last 2 seasons. Or maybe I’m just getting older and more bubble-wrapped.

I only have 2 or 3 ski partners that I tour with regularly.

When it’s unstable, which is often down here in the San Juan, we meadow skip tree runs. Good fun, won’t die.

Yes, he skinned up from the Galloping Goose road bed/Matterhorn CG to the bowl you see coming off Lizardhead. IIRC (could be wrong), some other skiers had come out as he was going up in the general area.

Regarding RMP, there was a couple burials in Prospect and apparently (from a friend):"........ and that slope we ski under at red just out of parking area around the corner....." slid last weekend. (Check out dust post I linked to above from a week ago to see the dust layers. I expect it was 'just over the hill' from Trout Lake.)

Last Friday my sister showed me a picture of Devin dressed up with my niece and friends for their senior prom. He had gone with their exchange student....this image and their youth and expectations keeps flashing in my head and brings this reality too close. Be safe. One outing or a rad story/POV is not worth giving it all up.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 03-24-2022 at 04:36 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Yes, he skinned up from the Galloping Goose road bed/Matterhorn CG to the bowl you see coming off Lizardhead. IIRC (could be wrong), some other skiers had come out as he was going up in the general area.

Regarding RMP, there was a couple burials in Prospect and apparently (from a friend):"........ and that slope we ski under at red just out of parking area around the corner....." slid last weekend. (Check out dust post I linked to above from a week ago to see the dust layers. I expect it was 'just over the hill' from Trout Lake.)

Last Friday my sister showed me a picture of Devin dressed up with my niece and friends for their senior prom. He had gone with their exchange student....this image and their youth and expectations keeps flashing in my head and brings this reality too close. Be safe. One outing or a rad story/POV is not worth giving it all up.
    ^^^
    As our buddy @covert said in his Slide Zone podcast, no one dies doing what they love. They die asking for one more chance.

RIP.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-26-2022 at 01:47 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post

Fuck man. That’s heavy.

Sorry I got dragged into a side fight in this thread.

I kept trying to say he seems like a chill dude doing what he loved
    That’s all we all do. Or try to do.

Rip. And healing vibes and prayers to anyone he touched.
    Sometimes the brightest lights in our lives burn too hot and don’t last long enough.

Damn
    . . .

Trout Lake Fatality

Sender asked to delete
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; 03-28-2022 at 09:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Deleted. Based on prior delete
    Last edited by Core Shot; 03-28-2022 at 10:59 AM.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    It’s bad enough you culturally misappropriate your screen name,.
    It's the name of a ski run I rode today, and one I suspect he's ridden a bunch.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Trout Lake Fatality

!
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; 03-27-2022 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Got this to remain anonymous p message.

You sure about that? I didn't know the guy but checked out his IG a bit. He broke his back slamming the wall of a tight couloir above Clear Lake a couple of days before lockdown from what I saw, so I'm not sure he was riding in Ophir a week later. But maybe I'm wrong. RIP either way, seemed like a cool dude with talent.

Trout Lake Fatality

Sender asked to be deleted

Regardless of how close to or far away you are from these tragedies, and how strongly you feel about the choices and actions of others, we are all human and connected. We make mistakes, questionable decisions and shit happens. So, when commenting on these incidents, self moderate them with the knowledge that others are also hurt by the incident and could be by these comments that will remain and be searchable into perpetuity.

From my sister last evening:
    "Just got back from the memorial of the kid who died in the avalanche. His Mom sobbed in my arms. Brutal "
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

+
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"