Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Permanent day light savings time???

That’s gonna affect avy control and first chair right? Would the resort start opening at 10??

They should keep the standard time instead. People are more likely to do stuff early in the morning during the summertime when it’s cooler outside rather than in afternoon when it’s hot. Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yes, you're wrong.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Utah resorts wrote a letter to the Utah government against it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yes, you're wrong.
    Is he?

Yes, you're wrong.
    X2
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Curiously, I like to ride at dusk in the summer when it cools down a little.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    7 p.m. local rides really do a lot for the psyche. Can't say that for a 8 a.m. have to get back, shower, and grind it out.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Me too.

Is it ground hogs day?

I like standard time because it allows me to ski before work most of the winter, it would be harder to do if the sunrise was an hour later. And then I like daylight savings time because I can sleep in a little longer and enjoy the daylight after work.

So I say leave it as it is....

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Yes, you're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    X2
    7 p.m. local rides really do a lot for the psyche. Can't say that for a 8 a.m. have to get back, shower, and grind it out.
    X3

Biased because I'm completely useless until 10am no matter what, but getting out of work, jumping on the bike, drinking a beer at the top with friends, and hauling ass down empty trails at dusk is the way to be. Fuck morning rides.

My goal most nights in the local trail area (Cache Creek) is to be the goddamn last one riding before it’s too dark to ride anymore. (Without lights)
    No people= Maximum haul-assage.
    Except for the Moose and bears, of course.

STRAAAAVVVAAAA

My goal most nights in the local trail area (Cache Creek) is to be the goddamn last one riding before it’s too dark to ride anymore. (Without lights)

STRAAAAVVVAAAA
    This is the way

We should ride, compadre!

This is going to screw with mtn ops everywhere.

& forget early access!

Losing standard time only really hurts early morning stuff in the 6 weeks around the winter equinox here, but significantly improves the afternoons and evenings for March-August. Seems like a win for anyone who isn't reliant on those few extra minutes of light in the AM during the dead of winter. I've been saying for years that ski areas should begin the season with a later start time (10am for instance) and change to an earlier start time after the New Year. This seems like this might be the push necessary to make that happen.

Awesome for people in MA / ME / VT / NH where it gets dark out at like 4:15 in the dead of winter. And totally agree with everyone saying late day activities are where it's at. Running around the golf course during sunset to get a couple more holes in at 9:00 mid summer is the best.

Wachusett might not be able to open at 7:30 every Saturday and Sunday anymore - good, that's so early. Or they'll keep opening that early and just have people ski under the lights early AM. I think they're usually on anyway, I know I never skin with a headlamp, and it could be cool to ski lift served laps during sunrise.

For resorts not on the very western part of the time zones I doubt this will have much impact. Solitude has been opening at 8AM on Holidays and weekends all season and 7:30 once a month. Only a few lifts lower mountain and avy control doesn't happen any earlier as far as I know, but the light is really cool. If we're always in DST I'd imagine this early opening might stop mid winter, but skiing can still start at 9 no problem. Avy terrain openings will probably be an hour later, but, that's great IMO - let even more of the masses leave before it opens.
    Last edited by DigSki; 03-16-2022 at 12:43 PM.

7 p.m. local rides really do a lot for the psyche.
    post-work sunset MTB rides in the summer are awesome.

gunna suck in the winter when the sun doesn't rise until like 8:30am; but then again, if it doesn't set til 5:30 maybe post-work skin laps become a more regular occurance...

either way I think Big Golf definitely lobbied for this legislation to pass
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

In Montana, we'd have a couple weeks with sunrise around 9:30 a.m. That'd be kinda rough. But it'd be nice to push sunset out to 5:45ish.

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    For resorts not on the very eastern part of the time zones I doubt this will have much impact. Solitude has been opening at 8AM on Holidays and weekends all season and 7:30 once a month. Only a few lifts lower mountain and avy control doesn't happen any earlier as far as I know, but the light is really cool. If we're always in DST I'd imagine this early opening might stop mid winter, but skiing can still start at 9 no problem. Avy terrain openings will probably be an hour later, but, that's great IMO - let even more of the masses leave before it opens.
    It's actually the opposite.....this will have more of an impact on ski areas NOT on the eastern part of the time zones. There will be weeks in the winter where the sun doesn't rise until 8:30am here. This shows how the eastern portions of time zones have more 'reasonable" sunrise times (defined by 7am in this case) than the western portions, under DST.
    https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...time-vote-good
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    That’s gonna affect avy control and first chair right? Would the resort start opening at 10??

They should keep the standard time instead. People are more likely to do stuff early in the morning during the summertime when it’s cooler outside rather than in afternoon when it’s hot. Am I wrong?

When I lived in Tucson I did outdoor stuff at 5am in the summer. Late night news was at 10PM I think, people went to bed early, woke up early. It depends where you live. My wife likes to get her summer gardening done early here in Truckee.

Yes, you're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    X3

Biased because I'm completely useless until 10am no matter what, but getting out of work, jumping on the bike, drinking a beer at the top with friends, and hauling ass down empty trails at dusk is the way to be. Fuck morning rides.

STRAAAAVVVAAAA
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This is the way
    We should ride, compadre!
    we should form a club.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I wouldn't be stoked during the months where I have to get my kids up and out to school when it's dark out.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I have to get my kid up super fucking early regardless, and even earlier for ski racing. It's 6:15am on a normal school day and 5:30am on weekend race training days. In December/January, it's dark. It doesn't make any difference in the whole endeavor to me.