Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I can’t believe skiers on a ski forum support this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You do realize that the clock does not actually change the amount of daylight?

I can't remember the last time I went to bed or got up at the same time as any in the last two weeks before it.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I bet that which time you prefer varies based on which end of the time zone you live on...
    You’re on your to something there. Let’s split each zone in half with a 30 minute difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    You do realize that the clock does not actually change the amount of daylight?

I can't remember the last time I went to bed or got up at the same time as any in the last two weeks before it.
    So delay opening of resorts and terrain because of a clock change and some perceived notion of more daylight for some people? Sounds totally reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    WA voted to stay on DST but evidently we can't change until ther feds do. If that is true how did AZ manage it?
    AZ stays on ST year round, no DST. States have that option, same with Hawaii.

you amaricans are all specil flowers so why not just do what you want /
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    AZ stays on ST year round, no DST. States have that option, same with Hawaii.
    Why you got to forget the res folks?

So delay opening of resorts and terrain because of a clock change and some perceived notion of more daylight for some people? Sounds totally reasonable.

Don’t believe anyone said “more” daylight. Just light longer at the end of the day and less at the beginning. That is not “more”…. But hey, if you could add “more” I’d be cool with that. You have that figured out?

You are an idiot. Light is light. Moran.

Why you got to forget the res folks?
    True. The Navajo nation observes DST.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    True. The Navajo nation observes DST.
    They don't even have 911 service there. They deserve much more, like being able to take out a mortgage, clean water, jobs, etc.

You are an idiot. Light is light. Moran.
    I think we agree, but you’re too burnt out to realize it

I think we agree, but you’re too burnt out to realize it

Perhaps I just need more of that unicorn light shined?

The ski areas should probably be open when it's light outside.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you amaricans are all specil flowers so why not just do what you want /
    We will. You’re American too btw so join us!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...er-days/?amp=1

Although year-round daylight saving time is popular with outdoor enthusiasts, people who like to party and those who like to sell things to them, standard time is significantly better for most people, said Horacio de la Iglesia, a professor of biology at the University of Washington. His work on sleep cycles contributed to Seattle Public Schools decision to start school later for middle and high school students.

On Seattle’s shortest day, the sun rises at around 8 a.m. and sets just after 4 p.m. If Washington switched to year-round DST, the sun would rise at 9 a.m. and set at 5 p.m. that day in Seattle.

“You may think that the extra hour of evening light we gain with DST is good for you,” he explained. “But research shows that the hour of morning light we miss out on under DST is unhealthy for your body and mind.”

Human sleep patterns prefer to be in sync with “solar time,” he said, and standard time is closer to true solar time.

De la Iglesia said that under DST — when the clock is artificially shifted an hour ahead — we are asking our brains and bodies to wake up an hour earlier than they are biologically prepared to do. Sleep and mood disorders would follow, he said

—————

One of the big arguments is the deaths that occur around the DST shifts, how many will occur when people are out of whack in the morning?

We tried this in the ‘70s. It lasted 10 months.

Great example of something where there is minor, short term pain for pretty good long term benefit. I think most people don’t know what it means in practice to get rid DST changes.
    But sun time changes throughout the year. In the past people adjusted their activities accordingly. Of course, back when most people worked in agriculture there was more daylight during the times of year when there was more work, so it worked out.

It could be argued that the clock is the most devastating invention of mankind. Since I retired I miss my work, I miss the people I worked with, I missed the people I cared for. What I don't miss is the clock, the schedule, having to do things at certain times multiple times during the day every day.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    The ski areas should probably be open when it's light outside.
    Why do you hate night skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Why do you hate night skiing?
    Morning night skiing!

Wait, if they have to open the lifts an hour later in the am due to winter dst, wouldn't they just leave them running an hour later in the pm? It'll be light until 530.

What am I missing, other than the resorts actually not doing that and saving one hour of operating costs?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I want DT in the winter and Double Daylight Time in the summer, it gets light too damn early in the summer, I'm trying to sleep over here.
    That's what the UK did during WWII: "double summer time."

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn
    What difference does it make as long as they close an hour later? After a few years opening at 10 am will sound perfectly normal.

The problem with DT in the winter is you’ll have a lot more days when kids have to go to school in the morning in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    The problem with DT in the winter is you’ll have a lot more days when kids have to go to school in the morning in the dark.
    Canadiens, Alaskans, and many others have figured it out.

Also schools should start later.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Canadiens, Alaskans, and many others have figured it out.

Also schools should start later.
    Do you know if that's later compared to the sun or compared to the standard family work schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That's what the UK did during WWII: "double summer time."

What difference does it make as long as they close an hour later? After a few years opening at 10 am will sound perfectly normal.
    Hell, may even be able to get that morning turd out at home rather than some rank dungeon shithole toilet.

Ya this is a cute idea, until people realize builders and landscapers and everyone else working on their houses now won’t show up until 9-10 and we will all still be leaving at 4-5 just like usual. People thought shit was moving slow in that sector before. And it will be pretty sweet for all the farmers that will still have to be up to milk 4 hours before the sun comes up in the winter. Sunrise in December at 830? No thanks. I usually have skied by then.

but I guess it’s worth it all for the suits and in the name of night time recreation!!

and if any of you think for one second that vail will keep resorts open until 5 then, that’s the dumbest thinking of all. They are probably rooting for this as they see it as a cost cutting benefit, take a ski day from 830-4 and turn it to 930-4, now that’s killer for the bottom line!!

^ Which is probably why these politicians are for it. The corporations that pay them crunched the numbers and saw it would be more profitable to do away with DST. So now the leg humpers in DC are for it.