Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Kids can walk to school in the dark. And after school they can learn to play outside while it’s still light.
    Or is it better to teach them that a quality view on their commute is highest priority?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The argument, backed by sleep science, with teenagers is that their biology is set to wake up later and go to sleep later. Not their preference or what they are allowed to do, what they are biologically wired for. It lasts a couple of years and then their rhythm changes.

“All of the studies of adolescent sleep patterns in the United States are showing that the time at which teens generally fall asleep is biologically determined — but the time at which they wake up is socially determined,” said Dunster. “This has severe consequences for health and well-being, because disrupted circadian rhythms can adversely affect digestion, heart rate, body temperature, immune system function, attention span and mental health.”

https://www.washington.edu/news/2018...t-times-study/

I guess we can just send them to school at 9:30 as others have suggested about business and schools adjusting.

Basically all the sleep scientists speaking up are saying a move to year round standard time would be the most beneficial because of our biology.

Maybe we should be teaching them to prioritize healthy sleep?

I’m an early riser so for the majority of the year most of this doesn’t effect me as I’m up before the sun anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah, like kids walk to school anymore. Honestly, that's a pretty major shift since 1974 when they last tried this. I'll bet more than half of kids walked to school then and it's something like 10% now.
    Pretty large number in my "city". I don't know the percentage but it's high.

Yeah, like kids walk to school anymore. Honestly, that's a pretty major shift since 1974 when they last tried this. I'll bet more than half of kids walked to school then and it's something like 10% now.
    I live less than a mile from three elementary schools, two middle schools and our high school. There are tons of kids walking to school every morning.

Every school still has a “walk zone” where bussing is off the table. Sure there are plenty of kids that get rides, but many more who walk; especially in urban and lower socioeconomic communities.

Here’s to hoping schools just decide to start later and later. It is going to piss off a lot of parents who get their kids to school before they go to work, but if we do have that much AM darkness it will be the safest option.

If we do try year around DST and if states choose to follow it, I wonder if it will last longer than the 8months it did last time?

Lastly, sitting here listening to my kids still sleeping, knowing I have to wake them soon for ski training, after a pain in the ass to get them to bed, I honestly can’t think of a single reason any parent would ever like DST. Two weeks ago, they would have already woken up on their own, be happily eating hot pockets, and stoked to ski. Today, they are going to be grumpy.

Then again, I am on the far west of my time zone and I know that makes us less inclined to like DST.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Technically aren’t most of us attached to Canada?
    poorly worded point was they are effective exclaves only reachable by land year round from Canada

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    poorly worded point was they are effective exclaves only reachable by land year round from Canada
    Next thing you’re gonna tell us is that geese aren’t Canadians either.

However many are in a shit ton.

Branta canadensis common name is ‘canada’ goose, NOT canadian goose/geese. Subtle but important distinction. Ol’ Linnaeus must have had one bite him in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I live less than a mile from three elementary schools, two middle schools and our high school. There are tons of kids walking to school every morning.
    less than 13 percent of U.S. children walked or biked to school in 2004, compared to more than 50 percent who did so in 1969.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...so%20in%201969.

And that was 2004. It's probably 10% now.

a Canadian is really just an unarmed American with free health care
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Branta canadensis common name is ‘canada’ goose, NOT canadian goose/geese. Subtle but important distinction. Ol’ Linnaeus must have had one bite him in the ass.
    So you are saying a Canada goose froom Canada is not Canadian?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

My old roommate used to call them illegal immigrants. He'd usually go on about how he bet none of them even had pilot's licenses. The funny part was that he was an immigrant, and was delivering these dad jokes with a Polish accent.

High school kids don't walk to school anymore. 2 blocks away helicopter parents cars are lining the street waiting for their kids

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Touché muthafucka

Nice cameo appearance btw

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    As someone who shoots a lot of Canadas, it’s definitely an important distinction. I would never shoot Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    My old roommate used to call them illegal immigrants. He'd usually go on about how he bet none of them even had pilot's licenses. The funny part was that he was an immigrant, and was delivering these dad jokes with a Polish accent.
    Perfect. Canadian citizenship is almost beneath those aggressive ornery shitfowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    As someone who shoots a lot of Canadas, it’s definitely an important distinction. I would never shoot Canadians.
    Right?!?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    They don't even have 911 service there. They deserve much more, like being able to take out a mortgage, clean water, jobs, etc.
    They do have 911, I had to call it as I was driving from Tuba City to Kayenta when I saw something odd on the side of the road. I slowed down and got over and it was a human body with his head 6” from the fog line, I pulled over and was ready to start cpr since there was no obvious traumatic death (I figured he was hitching and got clipped, when I lived on a reservation there were two fatal hit and runs in a month like that), and he rouses and tells me he was trying to walk from there to Durango (200mi).

I called 911 to check him out and while we’re waiting I give him some water, and who should drive up but his “cousin” (in many Native societies anybody remotely related is generally referred to as a cousin). Unfortunately she’s driving a work truck and going the other way but these retired Texans in a 1-ton and ten gallon hats have also pulled over to check on us and the guy’s relative sweet talks them into taking him to the next town up . The woman did a little Pearl-clutching about the situation but the guy was game for the adventure.

Yeah, Natives deserve so much more. It’s heartbreaking seeing what many go through.

Driving from Flagstaff to the San Rafael Swell in UT was always mind bending. You started on MST in AZ, went into the Navajo Nation where it could be MST, then if you stopped in Page, AZ you’re back on MST then you cross the bridge into Utah and you’re back on MDT. A weird Twilight Zone experience because you could never trust your phone to tell you the correct tower you were on.

I work 6a-6p sometimes and 6p-6a other times so I really don’t see what the fuss is about this move. I did notice my mental health immediately improve this month when we had an extra hour of afternoon light for activities, cooking outside, patio happy hours, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    They do have 911, I had to call it as I was driving from Tuba City to Kayenta when I saw something odd on the side of the road. I slowed down and got over and it was a human body with his head 6” from the fog line, I pulled over and was ready to start cpr since there was no obvious traumatic death (I figured he was hitching and got clipped, when I lived on a reservation there were two fatal hit and runs in a month like that), and he rouses and tells me he was trying to walk from there to Durango (200mi).

I called 911 to check him out and while we’re waiting I give him some water, and who should drive up but his “cousin” (in many Native societies anybody remotely related is generally referred to as a cousin). Unfortunately she’s driving a work truck and going the other way but these retired Texans in a 1-ton and ten gallon hats have also pulled over to check on us and the guy’s relative sweet talks them into taking him to the next town up . The woman did a little Pearl-clutching about the situation but the guy was game for the adventure.
    I thought you were going to tell us Joe Leaphorn pulled up to investigate.

Bump.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Day light savings time and the switch to standard time are awesome. Do you really want ski resorts to not open until 10? Noon in AK. Sun coming out at 4am in the summer? The change of times makes so much sense, but we’ve become so soft as a society that the one week it takes to adjust is too much. Guarantee that of the change to permanent day light savings time was made it would last a year or 2 until people realized how bad it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Day light savings time and the switch to standard time are awesome. Do you really want ski resorts to not open until 10? Noon in AK. Sun coming out at 4am in the summer? The change of times makes so much sense, but we’ve become so soft as a society that the one week it takes to adjust is too much. Guarantee that of the change to permanent day light savings time was made it would last a year or 2 until people realized how bad it sucks.
    You are not very bright. Pun intended.

With current tech we can make time whatever we want it to be. For me, high noon is 12:00. With WFH and the like, what snowflake needs an ‘extra hour’ of sunlight at the end of the day.
    GMT = standard earth time, and whatever your location says it is. It’s all relative anyway.

Of all the nights to have insomnia lol. It's going to be an extra hour of torment? ffs

We have some serious big thinkers here on the TRGz.

I sleep like shit anyway so I was up within a few minutes of 6 this morning just like most mornings. The difference is sunset is at like 4:45 today so the day wraps up too quickly. Kids don't walk to school here at all, there are no sidewalks anywhere near any of the schools except on school property and only the high school has a bike rack (and it's never ever used). That's why my fukn school taxes are $9k/yr so if I'm gonna pay through the fukn nose who gives a shit it if it's dark at 7am.

fuck me, it’s 5am and i’ve been up for an hour and a half