Page 78 of 109 FirstFirst ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2707
    Hard to see your own bias, I guess, but while this setup rewards the winners of a long season watching an 86 win team get bounced isn't that exciting to me.

The Mets / Braves was the only "race". Watching the Rays lose 6 in a row to end the season was in no way exhilarating and no one cared. In WC1 era beisbol Cleveland would have been seeded as a division winner and the Wild card would have been an actual race with the Mariners and Blue Jays fighting for the last spot, so Cleveland is not penalized.

The race in the NL would have been between braves / mets still for first place with the loser having to play games away or maybe a play-in for numero uno in the division?

Having must-win games in season is just better to me than having a doormat round. Anyway, I am happy for playoff baseball and the teams that remain are pretty compelling.

I really didn't see the Phillies winning, it will be interesting next year with the unweighted schedule to have a clearer idea of the strengths of the teams. Obviously a 3 game matchup is a tossup but maybe the Phils really were much better winning 87 in a strong division than 93 in a division that had 2 hundred game losers. It sure looked like it, and here they are still going. Way to turn that season around!

eta: haters everywhere! too bad all the .500 teams couldn't join in that would be so cool. participation trophies! extra super wild wild cards! hot dog race to first base to see who gets home field!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

The fairest way to do it would be the original way. The best two teams play in the World Series. But that’s not all that fun and this is a for profit entertainment product above all else. I for one was entertained all weekend despite the fact that some of the participants may not have deserved a chance at the playoffs. That’s also why you’ll never see a 120 game season. Lots of revenue in those 42 games, not to mention the grind of the long season is part of the beauty of the game. It starts in spring, becomes the backdrop of summer, and finishes cold changing air of fall. It’s the perfect sport.

You cannot decide that this is a bad system by just looking at this year's races. Every year is different, and some years benefit certain playoff systems. Let's just look at Mets-Braves as that was the race that everyone thought was exciting. In the old "1 wildcard" system that race would have had little drama. They would only have been playing for who gets to play the Dodgers in round 1. And the rest of the NL would have had no drama whatsoever for all of September, because no other playoff spot would have been up for grabs. But sure, we would have longer playoff series for the teams that made it. In the more recent "2 wildcards" system, there would have been drama in the Mets-Braves because one team would have had that "win or go home" play in game. And there would have been some drama around the other wildcard, so I guess that system would have provided some good races too. But I for one absolutely hated that play in game. It just didn't feel like baseball, because baseball isn't a "one game decides things" unless it is the end of a series. Too much variability day to day for that.

I want good teams in the playoffs, I want drama and elimination games, I want division winners to receive a benefit for winning the division, and I don't want a playoff system that will allow shitty teams in, but I also want good teams to actually have a shot at the playoffs, and good teams that are in a division with a great team shouldn't be screwed for years. The current system does all of that. I like to shit on MLB/Manfred as much as the next guy, but this is one thing I think they got just right.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD

I like the system a lot. Gives much more to watch the last 6 weeks of the season (in most years). And the 2 teams that played best in each league get a deserved bye to the ALDS. Which is where they’d be in past years anyway. 5 games 7 games who gives a shit. But 3 is a nice upgrade over 1, I think.
    Decisions Decisions

Phillies
    Ms
    Guards
    DODGERS

Oh man, I can’t wait.

Tough sledding ahead, but that’s why you play the games.
    I still call it The Jake.

Anything can happen and after going 1/4 in the first round I am out of the prediction game. Looking forward to Phillies / Braves at 1pm, day games rule!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Did the roof really need to be closed? WTF is the deal with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    It sure looks hideous closed doesn't it? That said it was 52'F at the start of the game and 48'F by the end. I personally would prefer to wear a jacket and enjoy the view of the open dome but I assume the average fan would prefer some warmth.
    It's not for the fans. MLB wants playoff games played in as perfect conditions for baseball as possible. It was hot as balls in there for most of the game - I was hoping they could just crack the roof for a few seconds, like letting your car window down to air out a fart.

Did the roof really need to be closed? WTF is the deal with that?
    It sure looks hideous closed doesn't it? That said it was 52'F at the start of the game and 48'F by the end. I personally would prefer to wear a jacket and enjoy the view of the open dome but I assume the average fan would prefer some warmth.
    I had a last minute opportunity to head down yesterday, 15 rows above right centre field. I was mostly taking video of the hyped fans but got some garbage photos.

Attachment 429347

First two thirds of the game were a blast. I have never sat before in the 200's, let alone the 100's and the crowd was just bonkers off the charts level 10 party mode before the game even started.

I agree we need to improve all aspects of our pitching, but imo the game was lost by Schneider pulling Gausman when he did, for Mayza. Instant nose dive. Yeah Gausman was getting shaky but he was working through it.

And if Bo can stop ramming into people as well that'd be great.
    Yes, Guasman was in some trouble. Gets 2 outs, crowd going insane. Then, oh no, some AWS-powered AI is telling Schneider to pull the pitcher. A good manager needs to listen to the gut feeling sometimes, and this is one of those times. But, he listens to the computers. Terrible, and I bet it costs him a job.

I am in this photo. My son is not, because every time everyone stood up he could not see a damn thing, the poor guy. We were right behind the guy in the pineapple costume.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221008_175638.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	429566

Wow, wow, wow. Anyone believe in the Mariners now?
    No changes to the roster going to Houston has a familiar (drinking age...damn) feel about it.

What about Ray at this point? He's had a tough go the last month or two. Game 3 start up for grabs?
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD

162 game season (162!!): ever wonder why interest is waning…? ;0

How’s this for a hot take?
    Bump league to 32 teams
    Roundrobin the divisions during the season so that they play each other twice plus single game interleague matchups for some interest.
    So, +/- (32 + 32 + 32) —> +/- 90 game season max — give us something to care about, some urgency…make the games count more.
    Then roll into a playoff series taking the elite 8 w/ 7 game series to end with a final series played in a neutral non-home park

[ETA]don’t ask me about tie breakers to establish the elite 8…

Or don’t mind me…just spitballin

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I am in this photo. My son is not, because every time everyone stood up he could not see a damn thing, the poor guy. We were right behind the guy in the pineapple costume.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221008_175638.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	429566
    Good dad!
    I bet he still liked going despite not the best view…you can smell the dirt from there!

Bad news, BMills, ESPN is favoring the Guardians over NY in their analysis. Is it too late to get Yanks in 4?

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    Bad news, BMills, ESPN is favoring the Guardians over NY in their analysis. Is it too late to get Yanks in 4?
    Knock me over with a feather.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Yes, Guasman was in some trouble. Gets 2 outs, crowd going insane. Then, oh no, some AWS-powered AI is telling Schneider to pull the pitcher. A good manager needs to listen to the gut feeling sometimes, and this is one of those times. But, he listens to the computers. Terrible, and I bet it costs him a job.

That's wild! Sorry the boy got a bad view. Our section was standing near non stop for some looong stretches of the game.

Yeah I'm no Schneider hater but that was a game losing, season ending call.

Seems like a dumb thing to do long term with gausmann

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    162 game season (162!!): ever wonder why interest is waning…? ;0

How’s this for a hot take?
    Bump league to 32 teams
    Roundrobin the divisions during the season so that they play each other twice plus single game interleague matchups for some interest.
    So, +/- (32 + 32 + 32) —> +/- 90 game season max — give us something to care about, some urgency…make the games count more.
    Then roll into a playoff series taking the elite 8 w/ 7 game series to end with a final series played in a neutral non-home park

[ETA]don’t ask me about tie breakers to establish the elite 8…

Or don’t mind me…just spitballin
    I don't like it. I like the new 3-game thing with expanded wildcard - it feels like the right balance. I also like the 162 game season because:
    a1) There are a shitton of games to go to that are rarely sold out, making tickets affordable
    a2) With so many games, there are lots of corporate freebie tickets flying around
    b) I can go out in the summer and do things other than watching sports, and because there's so many games I don't really care about missing them
    c) With the craziness of baseball, I believe this many games is required to sort out the flukes and ensure that the better teams are in fact playing in October

A ballgame is really the only thing left that I can just suddenly decide to go and do, and is still pretty affordable provided I limit my intake of $13 beers.

Braves playing Timmy Trumpets in the stadium is either next level trolling of the Mets, or a huge jinx.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Braves playing Timmy Trumpets in the stadium is either next level trolling of the Mets, or a huge jinx.
    It's the walk up music for one of their players, I can't recall who. It's not trolling.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It's the walk up music for one of their players, I can't recall who. It's not trolling.
    Oh. They played it as they loaded the bases for a full minute so I assumed it was a pump up song. I’ll listen for as they go back through again

How did they not get a double play on that grounder?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, its Contreras' walk-up song; however, the ballpark DJ did blast it when they swept the Mets the other week, which was in fact, a troll job.

My office is a ghost town right now, wonder how many of them are trying to drink the team to a win right now.

M's on the board early!

Me, as a Mets fan:

Name:  6wjsl7.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  100.4 KB

Go phils!