Page 63 of 109 FirstFirst ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 2707
    ^^^

As a tourist and not a Yankee fan I specifically bought tickets in that zone 2 weeks ago hoping that something historic might happen. Figured my seats were too high up to have any shot at a historic home run, but he absolutely crushed that ball. I knew it was gone just from the sound. The bleacher fans who stayed to the end and were all die hard Yankees fans were completely loosing their mind. And that was before the walk off grand slam. Been a while since I high fived so many strangers. And the train back to Manhattan wasn’t slammed since half the stadium left early.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Guardos take it to the shit-talking ChiSox for another game in their house and reduce their magic number to 7.

6 games up on the Sox (really 7 cause they own the tiebreaker) and I continue to be absolutely impressed by the youngest team in baseball.

13 wins in last 15 games and most of those coming against the chasing Twins and Sox. Sticks McKenzie went 8 with 13K. I’ll take that all day.

ROLL GUARDS.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    ^^^

As a tourist and not a Yankee fan I specifically bought tickets in that zone 2 weeks ago hoping that something historic might happen. Figured my seats were too high up to have any shot at a historic home run, but he absolutely crushed that ball. I knew it was gone just from the sound. The bleacher fans who stayed to the end and were all die hard Yankees fans were completely loosing their mind. And that was before the walk off grand slam. Been a while since I high fived so many strangers. And the train back to Manhattan wasn’t slammed since half the stadium left early.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Me and my 16 year old drove over for tonight’s game. Bleacher seats also. No #61 but the place was packed and fully activated. When Judge got walked in his last at bat some feelings were expressed. Holy shit. Glad to have the win though and Severino looked good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D26E5513-451E-4A9A-8197-E696DC7BC571.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	406.4 KB 
ID:	427129

So if Judge wins the AL triple crown and Ohtani finishes the way he's going, who's the MVP?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    So if Judge wins the AL triple crown and Ohtani finishes the way he's going, who's the MVP?
    I think Judge is winning MVP no matter what. Narrative matters and the 60+ HRs and even flirting with the triple crown are enough.

Are you asking who should win?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Also Judge in NYC, the media capital vs Ohtani in Orange County playing for an also ran franchise.

Does anyone actually think Judge isn't the MVP?

Where are the Yanks without Judge?
    Where are the Angels without Ohtani?

Sort the WAR if you wish.

While Ohtani is having an MVP type of year and is a great pitcher and hitter taking up the same roster spot, what if they made a special rule where Ohtani got to bat twice? That would be insanely valuable and ALMOST also about as good as having Aaron Judge hitting once.

Anyone who wouldn't vote for Judge is just a hater.

And btw, there is no media bias for the Yankees.

The New York Times doesn't permit its journalists to vote for various sports and entertainment awards.

If anything the Yanks are underrepresented in the hall and with hardware unless you're the type of guy that thinks Jim Rice is some kind of hero when he wasn't the best guy on his team.

I wish I could get down to the stadium for one of these CC endorsed shirts:
    https://twitter.com/CC_Sabathia/stat...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think Judge is winning MVP no matter what. Narrative matters and the 60+ HRs and even flirting with the triple crown are enough.

Are you asking who should win?
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Also Judge in NYC, the media capital vs Ohtani in Orange County playing for an also ran franchise.
    Thanks for confirming what I already thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post

And btw, there is no media bias for the Yankees.

You cannot mean that
    really?

Yankees always get attention; love, hate, but always attention everywhere in every market.
    nobody gives a shit about the Angels even in the local market.

you must not have watched ESPN ever

Yankee fans are everywhere, you see the hat literally everywhere. You are the evil Empire, embrace it.

There is an active bias against the Yankees in awards voting, in part because the biggest paper does not let their writers vote. This is a long standing issue. So whatever you see on ESPN (Red Sox channel) or whatever, it doesn't impact the voting. A few recent examples from this blog:

https://bronxpinstripes.com/yankees-...es-award-bias/

the tino martinez vs raphy debacle:

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...210-story.html

Ruth only won it once between 20-30.

I know this hurts people feefees who hate the Yanks but it is FACTS.

If people vote for Ohtani over Judge, it is an anti-Yankee protest vote, like Magglio over Arod in 2007.

A scroll down the front page of ESPN yesterday had 4 different Judge articles back to back to back to back, starting at the top.

It's amazing there was no other sports that day to clog up the feed.

(and I like Judge)

Those CC shirts are pretty good, but logically questionable. How can one be the best player on the planet, yet not the most valuable?

If I am a team owner and I have a choice between one player who is the best on the planet, and another who is very very good, but not the best on the planet, you know which one I'm taking?

BM-

The guy can hit and pitch, it is incredible. He is very fucking good at baseball and having an amazing season. I wouldn't blame you for picking Ohtani, he is younger than Judge and totally unique.

It is just that this season, even when adding both sides, it is slightly less amazing than Judge's from the plate (and in CF/RF where he has been quite good!).

There is an active bias against the Yankees in awards voting, in part because the biggest paper does not let their writers vote. This is a long standing issue. So whatever you see on ESPN (Red Sox channel) or whatever, it doesn't impact the voting. A few recent examples from this blog:

https://bronxpinstripes.com/yankees-...es-award-bias/

the tino martinez vs raphy debacle:

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...210-story.html

Ruth only won it once between 20-30.

I know this hurts people feefees who hate the Yanks but it is FACTS.

If people vote for Ohtani over Judge, it is an anti-Yankee protest vote, like Magglio over Arod in 2007.
    Sorry, not buying it. That first blog is super Yankees biased and not logically consistent. I stopped after reading the Matsui debate. They quote one writer as feeling like Matsui shouldn't be deemed a ROY because he was a pro in Japan for years, and as evidence of Yankee bias, they note that 2 other Japanese players had won ROY. But that is not evidence of Yankees bias, unless that writer HAD voted for those players. I don't know if he did, the blog doesn't say. IOW, the author seems to say that because Matsui was a Yankee and deserved the award, and the reason given by one writer doesn't align with rewards others have received, Matsui was the victim of Yankees bias. Maybe he's correct, but there was a pretty easy logical argument to make (if the evidence was there) and he failed to make it (maybe because the evidence wasn't there). Moreover, he notes that the guy Matsui lost to was deserving. Whereas Ichiro (at least) was head and shoulders above everyone. Maybe voters used the "long career in Japan" as a tiebreaker for close candidates, just like they use "in a playoff race or not" for close candidates. Regardless, Judge will win this award and it won't be very close, but sure, Yankees bias.

The notion that there is ANTI Yankee bias is nuts, when they receive more media play and attention than any other team in baseball. Maybe that leads to occasional backlash in some respects, but the idea that it systematically does seems utterly silly to anyone who isn't a Yankees fan.

And a question re your New York Times point (this is an honest question): my understanding is that 2 writers from every MLB city vote on the award for each league so that there are 30 votes for each award. Are you saying that there are only 28 or 29 votes because NYT writers don't vote? If so, I would agree that is anti-Yankees (and anti-Mets) bias. But I see 30 votes for awards last year. Did some other city get extra votes? Or was it just that other NYC writers, not from the Times, got the votes? If the latter, how does that lead to anti-yankees bias?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Not a NY media bias?!?
    I mean I dont mean to go off on a rant here but..........

I spent most of my life living elsewhere. a lot of different elsewheres It wasnt until I moved to the tristate in 06 that I realized how pervasive the media bias of my whole life has been towards NYC. I grew up on Sesame Street, its NYC to the core. another example in every cartoon dogs pee on hydrants GA, TN, NC, UT, CA, CO we never saw a fkn hydrant.
    Music, TV, Movies, sports it is all NYC centric. the entirety is seen through a NYC lense because most of my life all the media companies that produce those things are based in the area. When you move here after not living here you suddenly get so many references from so much of your life that blew right by you. Its unreal how much of culture in the last 50 years was shaped by NYC.

But lets just focus on sports.

Who was the better hitter Hank Aaron or Reggie Jackson? Now, who had a candy bar?

Did Cal Ripkin get a 6 part documentary on ESPN like Jeter?

I could go on, but honestly the Yankees are one of the most recognized sports franchises in the world along with Manchester United and the Dallas Cowboys, they just get more attention, they always have and they always will. Dont try to be fkn martyr. You are a fan of the biggest, most well known ( if not well run ) baseball teams there is. Enjoy that.

It would be like me crying poverty as a Dodger fan....
    & chill, we are gonna buy Judge anyhow.

Sorry, not buying it. That first blog is super Yankees biased and not logically consistent. I stopped after reading the Matsui debate. They quote one writer as feeling like Matsui shouldn't be deemed a ROY because he was a pro in Japan for years, and as evidence of Yankee bias, they note that 2 other Japanese players had won ROY. But that is not evidence of Yankees bias, unless that writer HAD voted for those players. I don't know if he did, the blog doesn't say. IOW, the author seems to say that because Matsui was a Yankee and deserved the award, and the reason given by one writer doesn't align with rewards others have received, Matsui was the victim of Yankees bias. Maybe he's correct, but there was a pretty easy logical argument to make (if the evidence was there) and he failed to make it (maybe because the evidence wasn't there). Moreover, he notes that the guy Matsui lost to was deserving. Whereas Ichiro (at least) was head and shoulders above everyone. Maybe voters used the "long career in Japan" as a tiebreaker for close candidates, just like they use "in a playoff race or not" for close candidates. Regardless, Judge will win this award and it won't be very close, but sure, Yankees bias.
    Yes, it's a Yankees blog. You didn't read it carefully enough, that SAME writer that left Matsui off the ballot had previously voted for two Japanese imports that won ROTY. Being left off = 0 points, 1st place is 5, so that one guy had the ability to shift the vote entirely.

The notion that there is ANTI Yankee bias is nuts, when they receive more media play and attention than any other team in baseball. Maybe that leads to occasional backlash in some respects, but the idea that it systematically does seems utterly silly to anyone who isn't a Yankees fan.
    It's hard to believe that given media attention some people would then dislike a person or team, perhaps as others may be inclined to like them? Look at this thread, you have a couple of Yankee fans, and a few dozen Yankee haters. I don't even know what team a bunch of people root for, but I know they hate the Yankees.

And a question re your New York Times point (this is an honest question): my understanding is that 2 writers from every MLB city vote on the award for each league so that there are 30 votes for each award. Are you saying that there are only 28 or 29 votes because NYT writers don't vote? If so, I would agree that is anti-Yankees (and anti-Mets) bias. But I see 30 votes for awards last year. Did some other city get extra votes? Or was it just that other NYC writers, not from the Times, got the votes? If the latter, how does that lead to anti-yankees bias?
    Cities with a team all get 2 votes, then any writer and blogger who is eligible is allowed can also vote. if you own a large sports section (especially in a time of less media) and don't allow your writers to vote - it is draining the pool of potential voters. So instead of 100, you subtract 8 from the gray lady and it makes a difference. I have not heard of other companies doing this but it definitely hurt NYY especially back in the day and particularly with cooperstown.

BTW, the Yankees have the most MVPs total in history, and have double or more the total of all but 7 teams.

Oh, and the "Ruth only won it once from 20-30" argument? Kinda silly when it was only given out 7 of those years and a Yankee won 2 of the 7 (Gehrig won the other time). And there was hardly a reason yet for "Yankees bias" in the 1920s.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Who was the better hitter Hank Aaron or Reggie Jackson? Now, who had a candy bar?
    Dont try to be fkn martyr..
    So your proof of bias is that one guy got a candy bar when another guy did not? Ok

No martyr here, but I will be fucking pissed if Ohtani walks off with the award when Judge is having a mind bending season. He has already accumulated more WAR than lots of previous MVP's did in 162, hit 60 faster than Ruth, how many triple crowns in my lifetime? I think just one.

Ohtani won.... LAST YEAR and The Angels are in who cares land.

Judge is the MVP

QED

FACT

Yes, it's a Yankees blog. You didn't read it carefully enough, that SAME writer that left Matsui off the ballot had previously voted for two Japanese imports that won ROTY. Being left off = 0 points, 1st place is 5, so that one guy had the ability to shift the vote entirely.
    I did read it carefully, you didn't. He never makes any assertion about what Bill Ballou did on those prior votes, or even if he was a voter.

It's hard to believe that given media attention some people would then dislike a person or team, perhaps as others may be inclined to like them? Look at this thread, you have a couple of Yankee fans, and a few dozen Yankee haters. I don't even know what team a bunch of people root for, but I know they hate the Yankees.
    That sounds an awful lot like how white men are oppressed in this country. Yankees haters are vocal because Yankee fans are fucking everywhere and the Yankees are everywhere.

Cities with a team all get 2 votes, then any writer and blogger who is eligible is allowed can also vote. if you own a large sports section (especially in a time of less media) and don't allow your writers to vote - it is draining the pool of potential voters. So instead of 100, you subtract 8 from the gray lady and it makes a difference. I have not heard of other companies doing this but it definitely hurt NYY especially back in the day and particularly with cooperstown.
    No, that is not correct. Each city gets 2 votes for MVP, there are 30 votes in total. Look at voting for last year, there's not some indeterminate or large number of votes, there are exactly 30. Either some other city is getting the Yankees votes (nope), less than 30 votes are cast (also nope), or it's just "lesser" writers from NYC that get the vote (seems likely). Maybe there is a different answer, but it definitely isn't the way you describe.

I already said I think Judge will win and it isn't close. And I think he's deserving, though I also think Ohtani is deserving. Ohtani did win last year and does play on a shitty team, but he is much better than he was during his (deserving) season last year.

He is one of the top 5 hitters in the AL.
    He is one of the top 5 pitchers in the AL.

Let that sink in for a minute.

I did read it carefully, you didn't. He never makes any assertion about what Bill Ballou did on those prior votes, or even if he was a voter.

That sounds an awful lot like how white men are oppressed in this country. Yankees haters are vocal because Yankee fans are fucking everywhere and the Yankees are everywhere.

No, that is not correct. Each city gets 2 votes for MVP, there are 30 votes in total. Look at voting for last year, there's not some indeterminate or large number of votes, there are exactly 30. Either some other city is getting the Yankees votes (nope), less than 30 votes are cast (also nope), or it's just "lesser" writers from NYC that get the vote (seems likely). Maybe there is a different answer, but it definitely isn't the way you describe.
    My mistake, I thought it was the same as the HOF in which the BBWAA members vote.

This does not make it less than a crime against humanity if Judge is not the MVP.

Yankees haters are vocal because Yankee fans are fucking everywhere and the Yankees are everywhere.

So the Yankees elicit strong reactions from people. You have many Yankee haters to a few fans here. If this is a microcosm of the country then there are Yankee fans everywhere but many more Yankee haters. And, I think you're right, we should be a protected class to prevent the stealing of an MVP from Judge (who has been worth more than Ohtani).

Ohtani can get another award, the "You did better than last year but it wasn't enough" trophy.

OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD

WAR is a bullshit stat that gets overused to justify shitty decision-making by pundits and front offices.

Judge is having a stellar season. Maybe the best hitting season of any Yankee ever. Hitting 60 HRs is great, but that’s basically what Yankee Stadium was built for. I love judge, but acting like he’s breaking a record right now is silly season and the NY media ecosystem is driving it.

Ohtani is having a historically great season doing what nobody in history (except arguable himself last year) has EVER done. If he was in NY, even if the team was as bad as the Angels, he’d be the next Babe Ruth in their minds

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    WAR is a bullshit stat that gets overused to justify shitty decision-making by pundits and front offices.

Judge is having a stellar season. Maybe the best hitting season of any Yankee ever. Hitting 60 HRs is great, but that’s basically what Yankee Stadium was built for. I love judge, but acting like he’s breaking a record right now is silly season and the NY media ecosystem is driving it.

Ohtani is having a historically great season doing what nobody in history (except arguable himself last year) has EVER done. If he was in NY, even if the team was as bad as the Angels, he’d be the next Babe Ruth in their minds
    everyone loves Ohtani! I would love to have Ohtani in the bronx!

You guys are crazy. Last year Ohtani had 9 war and beat everyone. This year he has 8.9 and will outdo his mark from last year with 2 more starts and lots of at bats. But Judge is at 10 and counting!

And as far as Yankee Stadium goes, it is built for left handed dead pull hitters. Judge hits them the other way 90000 feet. How can you say that WAR is misunderstood when you don't understand the difference between the lines at Yankee Stadium?

This is fucking bullshit.

Here you go, most no doubters and highest percentage of no doubters in all of mlb

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitledjudge.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	427203

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post

Meh...Judge hits over 60% of his homers to left and center, fewer to right, and none to the really short part of right.

https://nypost.com/wp-content/upload...ticlechart.jpg

As of #60, half were on the road: https://nypost.com/2022/09/19/aaron-...ankee-stadium/
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.