Page 47 of 109 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 2707
    Woodsy I expected more of you. “RBIs”? Really?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

fuck, the umps all suck and the guys at MLB are even worse?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Woodsy I expected more of you. “RBIs”? Really?
    Unsure of the basis of your criticism.
    Is it be cause I didnt use the lingo of RibEES like some?
    Is it because Runs batted in is already plural ( even if in this case all but one Dodger only had one run batted in at that point in the game) or do you want me to embrace more advanced metrics. I think RBIs matter more than anything cuz thats how you win, but if yo have a more advanced metric that would apply to 3 innings of the game I am all ears.

Of course I am not expecting much from a guy whos baseball analysis to date has always only been a slight modification of his user name "Yanks Rule & Sox blo"

Dodgers looking good and have arms coming back.

May has been killing it in AAA 1.69 ERA, 0.94 WHIP and 26:5 K:BB in 16 innings...

Who gives a shit, they beat the Twinkies which is all that matters.

It is August 10th and CLE is tied for the Division lead. I did not see that coming this year, but I'm really happy to follow along.

Roll Guards.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Who gives a shit, they beat the Twinkies which is all that matters.

It is August 10th and CLE is tied for the Division lead. I did not see that coming this year, but I'm really happy to follow along.

Roll Guards.
    The Browns are also tied for the division lead right now.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The Browns are also tied for the division lead right now.
    17-0 Baby!

Maybe Browns need 13 players to make their debut...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Maybe Browns need 13 players to make their debut...
    The fact that the Guards have had 13 players make their debut this season, and the overwhelming majority of them have or are making notable contributions is a real testament to the organization's farm system and player development. Youngest team in the league.

Go Guards
    Fun team

Go Guards
    Fun team
    Damn straight. KwanTheRookie leading the team in OBP. 5 games over .500

OFFICIAL MLB 2022 THREAD

In other news, just another friendly reminder that when it comes to hitting a baseball, Tony Gwynn was the best there ever was.

https://twitter.com/mlbelites_/statu...XNRMxUvb0ybMmQ

(Yes, better than Ted Williams and Ty Cobb)

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Damn straight. KwanTheRookie leading the team in OBP. 5 games over .500
    And led off tonight's game with the most exciting play in baseball... THE TRIPLE!

In other news, just another friendly reminder that when it comes to hitting a baseball, Tony Gwynn was the best there ever was.

Best I ever saw
    I watched a lot of baseball in 50 years and I never think twice saying that.
    Best hitter I ever saw.

How did I make it this long in life before just finding out about Mickey Mantle’s blowjob under the bleachers of Yankee Stadium letter?

That’s awesome. Loved Gwynn.

Also, watching that, I’m reminded of what an abject shithole Riverfront/Cinergy Stadium was.

Unsure of the basis of your criticism.
    Is it be cause I didnt use the lingo of RibEES like some?
    Is it because Runs batted in is already plural ( even if in this case all but one Dodger only had one run batted in at that point in the game) or do you want me to embrace more advanced metrics. I think RBIs matter more than anything cuz thats how you win, but if yo have a more advanced metric that would apply to 3 innings of the game I am all ears.

Of course I am not expecting much from a guy whos baseball analysis to date has always only been a slight modification of his user name "Yanks Rule & Sox blo"

Dodgers looking good and have arms coming back.

May has been killing it in AAA 1.69 ERA, 0.94 WHIP and 26:5 K:BB in 16 innings...
    Grammar matters. Watch out for the Mets. Any team in a seven game series could see Sherzer and DeGrom four times between them. As I have said before, pitching, like grammar, matters.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Grammar matters. Watch out for the Mets. Any team in a seven game series could see Sherzer and DeGrom four times between them. As I have said before, pitching, like grammar, matters.
    Joey Galllo had 3 RBI to win the game for the Dodgers last night. Getting away from a shitty organization and fanbase matters.
    &
    Yes I remember Sherzer's post season dominance last year...

Better if it was Cubs-Cards, but I guess the Reds'll have to do.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-field-o...-game-2022-faq

Best I ever saw
    I watched a lot of baseball in 50 years and I never think twice saying that.
    Best hitter I ever saw.
    Tony was a great hitter but in what way was he better than Ted Williams? Hitting singles? Being amazing on The Simpsons? Ted had 20% more total bases than Tony despite giving up three years of his prime to fight for the country and having the bat taken out of his hands far more (better walk rate led to a 100 points higher OBP).

Please send me whatever it is you're smoking because that shit is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    Tony was a great hitter but in what way was he better than Ted Williams? Hitting singles? Being amazing on The Simpsons? Ted had 20% more total bases than Tony despite giving up three years of his prime to fight for the country and having the bat taken out of his hands far more (better walk rate led to a 100 points higher OBP).

Please send me whatever it is you're smoking because that shit is ludicrous.
    Yeah, I don't get it at all. Gwynn was amazeballs at hitting it where they ain't, sure, but best ever? How do you make that determination without looking at OBP? Williams' OBP in a similar amount of at bats (to say nothing of the prime that he missed) was almost a full .1 higher than Gwynn.

But even if we look at more modern players, ones who we saw in person, I would still choose Barry Bonds every day and twice on Sunday. Even pre-steroid Bonds, the mid-90s Bonds, who had a higher OBP and MUCH higher SLG%. And steroid Barry was easily the greatest hitter ever, I don't know how one could argue otherwise.

But even if we get rid of Bonds, I would choose Edgar over Gwynn, easily. And even if we get rid of Edgar, Wade Boggs was every bit the hitter Gwynn was, slightly lower BA, but higher OBP, almost identical actually.

I am not trying to shoot down Gwynn. Great hitter. And seemingly great guy. And if I needed a single and only a single would do, maybe I'd pick him as best ever. But when do you need a single and only a single will do? These other guys -- Williams, Bonds, Edgar -- were such better hitters overall I don't even know how one could argue otherwise? Unless you never saw any of them, so could argue that Gwynn was the best you ever saw.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I let EWG take up that fight. I dont remember seeing baseball until the mid 70s
    your boy Ted was retired.
    Rose was great, Carew was great, Tony was the best I ever saw.
    I will stand by that

Yeah, I don't get it at all. Gwynn was amazeballs at hitting it where they ain't, sure, but best ever? How do you make that determination without looking at OBP? Williams' OBP in a similar amount of at bats (to say nothing of the prime that he missed) was almost a full .1 higher than Gwynn.

But even if we look at more modern players, ones who we saw in person, I would still choose Barry Bonds every day and twice on Sunday. Even pre-steroid Bonds, the mid-90s Bonds, who had a higher OBP and MUCH higher SLG%. And steroid Barry was easily the greatest hitter ever, I don't know how one could argue otherwise.

But even if we get rid of Bonds, I would choose Edgar over Gwynn, easily. And even if we get rid of Edgar, Wade Boggs was every bit the hitter Gwynn was, slightly lower BA, but higher OBP, almost identical actually.

I am not trying to shoot down Gwynn. Great hitter. And seemingly great guy. And if I needed a single and only a single would do, maybe I'd pick him as best ever. But when do you need a single and only a single will do? These other guys -- Williams, Bonds, Edgar -- were such better hitters overall I don't even know how one could argue otherwise? Unless you never saw any of them, so could argue that Gwynn was the best you ever saw.
    I don't think you need Bonds to knock Gwynn into the next tier. If you offered me ten years of him or ten years of peak Ichiro or Olerud, I'm going for them, and I don't think Olerud got any HOF votes.

Or the entirety of Jeter, Boggs, Junior or Rickey's career. Too many to mention, even recent ones. But I saw all of those guys play in person, at least a little, and never saw much of Gwynn because I was pretty young. But he's pretty much Boggs without a ring and even less power?

ETA I see Woodsy I added Carew and Rose, more relevant and probably better slap hitter comparables.

I remember reading something by Williams, (may have been in The Science of Hitting), where Ty Cobb was encouraging him to just hit it into the open field when teams put the shift on him, and Williams was just all, nah, not me, not gonna do that. Worked for him.

Always sweet to see a guy do that and get a base hit, though.

And love hearing the greats talk...

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    I don't think you need Bonds to knock Gwynn into the next tier. If you offered me ten years of him or ten years of peak Ichiro or Olerud, I'm going for them, and I don't think Olerud got any HOF votes.

Or the entirety of Jeter, Boggs, Junior or Rickey's career. Too many to mention, even recent ones. But I saw all of those guys play in person, at least a little, and never saw much of Gwynn because I was pretty young. But he's pretty much Boggs without a ring and even less power?

ETA I see Woodsy I added Carew and Rose, more relevant and probably better slap hitter comparables.
    Two arguments and a caveat: First, the caveat: What's the best hitter defined as? Not slugger, not singles hitter, just who was the best hitter of baseballs and getting the ball in play and getting on base from that? That's Gwynn.

The first argument: Anyone who thinks that Gwynn was a slap hitter doesn't remember him. He was on another level. Gwynn averaged like 29 strikeouts PER YEAR. You want to compare him to Bonds? Bonds had 1,500 total career strikeouts compared to Gwynn's 434. Gwynn had 200 more hits than Bonds in 600 fewer at bats. Bonds had a .298 career BA. Gwynn was .338. Gwynn is far, far beyond a guy like Bonds when it comes to hitting a baseball. The only two guys that are close to him in date/era adjusted stats are Williams and Cobb, and only Williams is close.

Some crazy Gwynn stats (there a more than a few webpages that categorize this crap of his since it's so outlandish):
    - The only year Gwynn didn't hit .300 was his 54 game rookie year. 19 straight seasons over .300. Second only to Cobb.
    - The only hitters in history with higher career battering average than Gwynn all played prior to 1940
    - After age 35 Gwynn had a career BA of .350
    - One one player had more 5 hit games than Gwynn (Rose had 1 more)
    - In his entire career, Gwynn had 34 games in which he strike out more than once. Thirty fucking four. That's it. He had a better career chance of having 4 hits in a game than striking out twice. That's just insane.
    - In 1995 he struck out 15 times. For the fucking season.
    - As an example, he faced Maddox 107 times. He never struck out, and hit .415 against him.
    - With two strikes on him Gwynn hit .302. They started measuring that stat in 1988. Number 2 is Boggs at .260. Hitting over 300 with two strikes is like alien shit. It's inconceivable.
    - He finished his career with more than 100 more doubles than strikeouts. Insane.
    - He could come out of retirement and get 1,182 straight outs and his career average would STILL be over .300.
    - He got to 3,000 hits in fewer games and at bats than any other hitter born after 1900
    - As a left hander he hit a career .325 against left handed pitching
    - In 1994 Jeff Bagwell hit .368, which was the 13th best batting season since 1961. Gwynn beat him by 30 points.

Now, the second argument: You like stats instead of the eye test? So does the Society for American Baseball Research (sabr.org) (huuuuuge geek alert)
    They think Gwynn was the best, and they have the most analyzed argument for it you could ever imagine. Fire up your calculators and go here: https://sabr.org/journal/article/ton...s-best-hitter/

They say that Williams and Gwynn are far and away numbers 1 and 2 all time, and that Gwynn edges out Williams. Cobb is a distant third.

Maddox once said that no hitter could tell the speed of a pitch coming out of his hand. Some batters can pick up spin, but every human is helpless against changes in speed. And then he said this :"Except for that fucker Tony Gwynn."

Seriously - go look into it with an open mind. It amazing. Too bad he was on the Padres and no one ever saw him play.

Tony Gwynn is the best hitter of a baseball that there ever was.

Babe Ruth is the single greatest era-adjusted hitter ever. And it isn’t all that close. All-time leader in: SLG, OPS, WRC+, WOBA, WRAA, ISO, and oWAR.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.