Page 53 of 109 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2707
    Cleveland is only drawing 15k/game? I'm rooting for the Twins, at least their fans want to see baseball.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    do you see anything on this uniform indicating an officer airman?
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    Cleveland is only drawing 15k/game? I'm rooting for the Twins, at least their fans want to see baseball.
    That’s just mean.

I really have no clue why attendance is low (it’s a football town I get it, but give your money to a decent franchise ffs), but the average is a bit deceiving; mid week games don’t draw well for whatever reason, they’ve been doing pretty well from every weekend game I see with a pretty packed house, and for some reason baseball refuses to play day games which would help with families they’re targeting.

I was part of the 455 game sellout streak of the 90s thanks to my family’s season tickets; now that was a party each and every night. It would be nice to get somewhere close to that again.
    I still call it The Jake.

Pirates game the other night was 11K in attendance.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I was part of the 455 game sellout streak of the 90s thanks to my family’s season tickets; now that was a party each and every night. It would be nice to get somewhere close to that again.
    Oh, I didn't realize they didn't play midweek then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Pirates game the other night was 11K in attendance.
    That's a good night in Oakland, and pretty typical at both embarrassing stadiums in Florida.

Just to shit on the Yankees a bit, why did they pull out 10k+ seats with the renovation? I hate DNYS. The word stadium comes from latin for really big cheap place to watch sports, not this dinky little place with expensive cushy seats that are empty by home plate. But maybe hot dog straws will save the day.

Yeah all those empty seats behind home is not a good look.

Sox could still surprise but it'd be a hell of a big surprise at this point.

Just to shit on the Yankees a bit, why did they pull out 10k+ seats with the renovation? I hate DNYS. The word stadium comes from latin for really big cheap place to watch sports, not this dinky little place with expensive cushy seats that are empty by home plate. But maybe hot dog straws will save the day.
    Didn’t most every team with anew stadium reduce capacity after the 1994 strike season/success of Camden yards? Giants dropped capacity by ~1/3 with the move to McCovey Cove. Mariners lost 12k seats after they left the Kingdome. Twins lost 7-16k seats after they left the HHHM. I’m all for yankee bashing, but it was a thing baseball did.

Just to shit on the Yankees a bit
    Always welcome.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

For June, July, and August the Mets are 45-29. Pretty good, right? That would be a 99 win pace over a full season.

The fucking Braves are 54-21 over that same period. Have gained 8.5 games, and that's a 117 win pace over a full season.

Will the Braves just have a fucking losing streak already?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I see the Mets losing 2 Aug 30 & 31st

ROLL GUARDS! Sweep of the Pads today in a 7-0 shellacking of Cy Young winner Snell and crew. On to Seattle!

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Didn’t most every team with anew stadium reduce capacity after the 1994 strike season/success of Camden yards? Giants dropped capacity by ~1/3 with the move to McCovey Cove. Mariners lost 12k seats after they left the Kingdome. Twins lost 7-16k seats after they left the HHHM. I’m all for yankee bashing, but it was a thing baseball did.

Pfft. When the Indians left Municipal Stadium (largest crowd an amazing fucking 86,288 people), they lost more than 40,000 seats when Jacobs Field opened in 1994 for a measly 42,865 (now 34,830).

ExPow:

Am I disappointed that the team that has won the 4th most number of games in all of fucking baseball since 2013 are averaging a half-full house? Yeah, of course I am, cause in my mind they deserve a hell of a lot better. That said, their situation isn't terribly different from any other small market team, coming out of a pandemic, with a shrinking population, etc., etc., etc. (Keep in mind, when the 455 streak was happening the Browns weren't in existence and the Cavs were coming out of the Price/Daugherty/Ehlo years so it was kinda the biggest ticket in town)

The product on the field wins year in and year out for as long as I've been a fan with minimal down years, no matter how fucking cheap the Dolans are. Sure, no World Series titles in there, but a shit-ton of Division Titles, 3 Pennants and some entertaining as hell baseball is all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'll ask Ozzie, cause he seems nice, but I don't think they'll entertain your request Danno.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I see the Mets losing 2 Aug 30 & 31st
    Sounds a lot like Aug 22 & 23
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Pfft. When the Indians left Municipal Stadium (largest crowd an amazing fucking 86,288 people), they lost more than 40,000 seats when Jacobs Field opened in 1994 for a measly 42,865 (now 34,830). .
    the crazy thing to me is it opened with over >70k seats in the 1930s. Which was over triple League Park. Target field is about 1k seats less than when the twins came to town and expanded metropolitan stadium the second season. Whatever mcovey cove is called now is about the same as the stick the first couple years.

I would much rather see a game at a full 40k ballpark than a half empty 80k ballpark. I saw a game at the coliseum that had 3k as the paid attendance, and if there were 1500 people there I would have been shocked. Whole sections of the outfield and upper deck were closed, half the food stands didn’t open, it was really sad. Place was a cemetery

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    the crazy thing to me is it opened with over >70k seats in the 1930s. Which was over triple League Park. Target field is about 1k seats less than when the twins came to town and expanded metropolitan stadium the second season. Whatever mcovey cove is called now is about the same as the stick the first couple years.
    It's been a while since I've dug into the history, but I believe Muni Stadium was built to try and entice the (1930-some) Olympic Games. Well, that didn't happen because reasons (but now we get Winter Games in Beijing and Sochi and World Cups in desert hellholes; PROGRESS!!!), hence, the "mistake on the Lake".

I remember going to both Tribe and Browns games as a very young kid and two things stick out in my memory (a) the fans were fucking savages no matter what sport was being played. They showed up to get a cheap seat, drink cheap beer, and yell cheap shit at the players and each other as loud as they fucking could; and (b) if you weren't in the first 30 rows, you were behind a giant iron beam in some capacity for the entirety of the game - God help you if that view was of home plate, or a base, or even the end zone.

Good times.

Dodgers magic number is 15

Joey Gallo rakes

It's been a while since I've dug into the history...
    Oddly, I recently read about it. It was built in an act of civic promotion that was not related to the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics, which had been awarded long before ground was broken for the stadium. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Oddly, I recently read about it. It was built in an act of civic promotion that was not related to the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics, which had been awarded long before ground was broken for the stadium. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Stadium
    An act of civic promotion.

I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I would much rather see a game at a full 40k ballpark than a half empty 80k ballpark. I saw a game at the coliseum that had 3k as the paid attendance, and if there were 1500 people there I would have been shocked. Whole sections of the outfield and upper deck were closed, half the food stands didn’t open, it was really sad. Place was a cemetery
    It wasn't a problem in NY. in 2008, the last year of YS2, they averaged 53k. People in the bay are so sick of the A's they could make the BART free and give away beer and people still wouldn't show up.

For June, July, and August the Mets are 45-29. Pretty good, right? That would be a 99 win pace over a full season.

The fucking Braves are 54-21 over that same period. Have gained 8.5 games, and that's a 117 win pace over a full season.

The biggest reason the Braves are WS champs is because they peaked at the right time. They show signs of that again this season. Sorry.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I like that.
    "Build it and they will come" was the apparent idea.

I was wondering if it was still there for an epic Guards WS appearance (of course it's long gone) is how I happened to read about the place.

It's been a while since I've dug into the history, but I believe Muni Stadium was built to try and entice the (1930-some) Olympic Games.
    Of the 80,000 seats about 20,000 were behind a big iron I-beam. So there's that.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

That's just called charm

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    "Build it and they will come" was the apparent idea.

I was wondering if it was still there for an epic Guards WS appearance (of course it's long gone) is how I happened to read about the place.
    Now that would have been fucking cool. For now, we'll just have to be happy with seeing Muni Stadium by watching reruns of Major League, which seems to be on a lot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Of the 80,000 seats about 20,000 were behind a big iron I-beam. So there's that.
    A part of me thinks that was an inside joke or "fuck you" by the ironworkers of Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    That's just called charm
    Ha!

Good scouting:

Vaughn Grissom, through his first 15 games with Atlanta, has hit .382 with a 1.024 OPS asked about the 2019 MLB Draft approached.

“I thought I was going to be a Met, which would have been terrible,” Grissom said.

I like that.
    Its a lot better than taking a team out of Brooklyn and then removing more than 1,000 mostly Mexican American families from Chavez Ravine to make way for the stadium using eminent domain. loads of “los desterrados” (“the uprooted”) still around.

but their kids are mostly Dodgers fans