Binding Freedom insert screw help please

I'm looking to swap out some Newer Pivot 14 with the sliding WTR alpine AFD to a set of older Kiwi P14 with the fixed AFD. The screws I have for the heel seem like they are going to work, but the toe screws are definitely different. Anyone know the sizes I need to run the kiwis in my inserts??

"College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

I've been looking at that and racking my brain, should have mentioned that. The lengths don't seem to work for the older pivots. If I put a 16mm flat head in the rear holes of the kiwi toes, there's definitely not enough thread to engage the insert

Quote Originally Posted by rightcoast View Post
    I've been looking at that and racking my brain, should have mentioned that. The lengths don't seem to work for the older pivots. If I put a 16mm flat head in the rear holes of the kiwi toes, there's definitely not enough thread to engage the insert
    You need at least 4mm of engagement - that's 5 full rotations with the M5x.8 hardware.

If you've got less than that I'd measure your existing 16mm length hardware with the depth finding end of a set of calipers. For example: if you've got 2mm of screw length exposed from the base plate of the binding you know you need to go 2mm longer. Then order the appropriate hardware from BF or McMaster.

You can go a mm or two longer on the hardware if needed, just test the depth by threading in the screws without bindings. 7.5 turns before bottoming would be 6mm, for example. You just want the binding to be fully torqued down without the screws bottoming.

Toe Screws:

I can't speak to the toe screws with certainty, although my spreadsheet (yeah ... spreadsheet ... guilty as charged ) agrees with Binding Freedom's spec of 16mm flat heads (all 4 toe screws). I recorded this 16mm number from a mount of the WTR/Alpine AFD version of the Pivot 14s from 3 or 4 years ago (I don't currently own them).

Just trust your eyes, and a decent steel ruler if you don't have a caliper (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LYA3OBC...v_ov_lig_dp_it), and oberve @Pinned's guidance above.

Heel Screws:

• The two short screws (closest to the toe piece): I agree with Binding Freedom - 10mm low head
    • For the two longer heel screws (closest to the tail of the ski), I come up with 17.5mm to 18.0mm low heads. The last time I looked at Binding Freedom, they had 16mm for these two screws. 16mm barely achieves 3mm thread depth.

For the most part, you can get away with 18.0mm for the long heel screws, if the inserts are flush with the top sheet or screwed down 1/3 to 1/2 turn below the level of the top sheet. Otherwise, I'd shorten to 17.5mm. This number holds for the Pivot 14s, as well as some Pivot 15s I mounted this month.

You won't find 18mm screws, either from Binding Freedom or McMaster Carr, so you'll be shortening longer screws yourself.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-14-2022 at 02:24 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music