Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

One brand for the rest of your life...

If you were forced today to only ride one brand of skis for the rest of your life, who would it be? This is 100% subjective, so feel free to use any rationale you please - past performance, current lineup, future promise, brand cache, etc.

4frnt. But who knows how long they’ll be around.

For me, I think it's Moment. They just seem to have found the right balance of quality, fun, and diversity in their product lineup without catering to the groomer/carver crowd like so many brands nowadays. I love their indie spirit, and I have more faith in them to stay true to their roots than just about any brand out there.

Honorable mentions: ON3P, WNDR, RMU

Posed this same question on the NS forums. I'm very curious to see the differences of opinion between the two.

assuming all types of one brand of skis probably Atomic
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Moment. Based solely on their current Commander lineup. Could run a CMD 98/108/118 and be pretty happy me thinks.

Honorable mention to Blizzard. B97, Cochise 106 and (yet to be skied) Bodacious would work just fine too.

Blizzard. I dig their street credibility.
    More cowbell!!!

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Do we get to ski the best skis X manufacturer ever made for the rest of our lives? Or have to ski whatever they're coming out with next whether we like it or not? Because if it's the latter, this exercise can get fucked.

Praxis. Have anything you'd want . If not alter any model

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Say you need xc skis they can only be one brand ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Salomon. Been in their boots for decades. Both one plank and two. Snowboard, bindings on both plank choices, outerwear. No brainer.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

It might be ON3P. Then I could keep my DD Jeffs and still have Wrens for ripping. But it would suck to no longer have Mordecais for deep days so the answer could also be Line.

I do not like this question. Makes me uncomfortable.

One brand for the rest of your life...

Skis- It used to be Volkl…but currently it’s now Moment……

Bindings- It used to be Marker…but currently it’s Look…

Boot- Tecnica

Moment, and easy asnwer. I have never been on one of their skis that I couldn't get along with and anything on the freestyle line I fall in love with after the first run.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Do we get to ski the best skis X manufacturer ever made for the rest of our lives? Or have to ski whatever they're coming out with next whether we like it or not? Because if it's the latter, this exercise can get fucked.
    However you want to think about it. I was kind of thinking both ways with the Moment answer. Love their past models, love their skis now, and while I have a lot of faith in the quality of skis they'll produce in the future they're also a company that will keep producing "discontinued" models if enough people still want them (e.g. exactly how I got my hands on of a pair of Chipotle Bananas last year.)

Nordica I guess. Not because they're best at anything, but they have strong piste and freeride offerings, and from next year also a dedicated touring line. Only thing they're missing is a pow ski that makes me excited.

Blizzard ticks a lot of the same boxes, but I'm not into the ZeroGs.

Volkl could be it, but lacks "playful chargers".

Obviously the goldilocks answer is Heritage Labs, since you theoretically can have any ski as long as you're willing to pay for it, built at factories that know what they're doing

My quiver is proof I could never do this experiment.

This thread is a commie psyops trogan horse. Nuke it from orbit!

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    However you want to think about it. I was kind of thinking both ways with the Moment answer. Love their past models, love their skis now, and while I have a lot of faith in the quality of skis they'll produce in the future they're also a company that will keep producing "discontinued" models if enough people still want them (e.g. exactly how I got my hands on of a pair of Chipotle Bananas last year.)
    Fair enough. I could be happy with cherry-picking a lot of brands, if we could have the best of any era. If I had to pick one going forward, well, I have about zero faith in any brand to not screw up the one great thing they've got going. Probably be blizzard, atomic or head. I can't live without a dedicated ski that destroys hardpack, it's what I got to work with most days.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Obviously the goldilocks answer is Heritage Labs, since you theoretically can have any ski as long as you're willing to pay for it, built at factories that know what they're doing
    I'd consider it a semi-cusom offering, but I can't disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Yep.

Comes down to Dynastar or Volkl for me. I think I’m going to say Volkl since the folks in Chamonix occasionally lose their minds and put out garbage every once in a while.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I definitely used to be that way - always wanting to try someone new - and still am to a certain degree. If I'm curious enough I'll always give someone else a shot, but the longer I spend as a professional in the consumer products game the more I think about trying to reward brands that I feel actively speak to my sensibilities and passions.

To wit, thinking all the way back to the first pair of skis that I decided on (as opposed to early childhood hand-me-downs), my brand progression has gone something like K2 -> Dynastar -> Dynastar -> Liberty -> Liberty -> Surface -> Moment -> Atomic -> Moment. There are tons of skis out there I'd love to try, but when it comes to speaking with my dollars Moment is at the top of my list in any category for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    To wit, thinking all the way back to the first pair of skis that I decided on (as opposed to early childhood hand-me-downs), my brand progression has gone something like K2 -> Dynastar -> Dynastar -> Liberty -> Liberty -> Surface -> Moment -> Atomic -> Moment. There are tons of skis out there I'd love to try, but when it comes to speaking with my dollars Moment is at the top of my list in any category for the time being.
    Yeah, my answer shifts over time. Some brand has a couple skis that I really like, but then for whatever dumb reason they change them and inevitably make them worse so I move on to some other brand.

So if I'm gonna commit to a brand for the rest of my life, they need to commit to not fucking up their lineup.

True to my German heritage, I’m not very playful and as such I’d be happy with Volkl… Mantras, Katanas, VWerks, BMT, Race Skis. Always seem to have something worth skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    So if I'm gonna commit to a brand for the rest of my life, they need to commit to not fucking up their lineup.
    Which brings us back to heritage labs…

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Probably Kastle. I never skied a Kastle that I didn't like (I have owned MX89, MX98, BMX105HP, BMX128, TX98). Even its pow skis and touring skis have treated me really well. 2d would be Blizzard (I have owned Titan 9, Titan Pro, Cochise, Bushwackers, Bodacious, Rustler 11).
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

ON3P. Quality better than the best. Shapes and layups for everything I do. And A++ customer service. This was a no brainer for me

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?