Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Bibs.....again

Bibs.....again

Searching revealed some good stuff on bibs. I'm in need. Those searches talked a lot about what to look for and I narrowed my search. So I came into this 100% buying Flylow Bakers. Right before pulling the trigger I started reading a bit too much on the internet.....many reviews saying that they are not as durable as they used to be and that their quality has really taken a shit.

So---I pulled in Norrona, Strafe, and Trew. In general they all pretty much look the same to me on paper and perhaps this is all just "luck of the draw" on quality these days. But curious to know what the collective says.

Flylow still good quality stuff? Or should I take a look somewhere else.

Everything Flylow I've owned from the last ~5 years has held up very, very well. Better than the Strafe or Trew stuff I owned previously, but I haven't bought anything from either of them anytime recently. FWIW on bibs specifically, I own both Baker and Tannen bibs and durability has been great on both.

Our family has like 8 different flylow technical pieces plus a bunch of other stuff. Everything has been bombproof. On one casual jacket a snap broke and they already offered to repair it (and I never eve bothered to send it in.)

My son hit a tree is his Knight jacket a couple years ago hard enough to scuff it up and put a couple of tiny holes in the face fabric right on the chest. In over 100 skis days since then it looks exactly the same. No progression of the damage whatsoever. Guy hits the ground quite a bit too, so it's not cause he's babying it. He also killed his Pata pants, now he's in Bakers, and they show zero wear.

I'm all in on Flylow. Great brand.
    Last edited by EWG; 03-09-2022 at 05:03 PM.

The Trew gear bibs run huge. I've never worn a medium anything in my adult life but the L could have held 2 of me...6-1, 186.

I had Flylow Bakers 2 years ago. Hands down the least durable, least waterproof bibs I've ever owned. I warrantied them about 1/2 way through the season for a refund. They had multiple areas that had worn all the way through just from the fabric abrading against itself. I say this as someone who's had great luck with Flylow jackets - they're the only shells I've worn for the past decade and I think they're fantastic.

Prior to the Bakers, I had Trewth bibs. I liked those alright; good pockets, and good fit. They were pretty warm, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. The "Superfabric" around the cuffs was terrible - got sliced by edges really easily. Eventually I had to retire the pants because the cuffs were shredded and they kept catching on the brake of my opposite ski, which is kind of terrifying. But I got 3-4 seasons out of them before that (although that was with a fair amount of taping and gluing of the cuffs prior to that).

Currently on my 2nd season in the Norrona Tamok. So far, these take the cake in terms of waterproofness and durability. The pockets leave a bit to be desired; the bib pockets are too low, which means they're not particularly useful, and there isn't a good beacon pocket. Also no belt loops, which mostly means there's not a good place to hang a pass. So there's room for improvement, but the Tamoks are the best I've owned so far.

Bought Baker Bibs this year. Durability is great, very comfortable, and ventilation is great with the zippers on inside and outside.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have been wearing the same Flylow Quantum jacket and Chemical pants for about a decade. They are both bomber products.

I got my brother a pair of new Chemical pants for Christmas and they feel noticeably less substantial. I guess time will tell if they were able to maintain the same durability while lightening up the material.

I have two pairs of bakers and they are great. Very durable and vents are big.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I had Flylow Bakers 2 years ago. Hands down the least durable, least waterproof bibs I've ever owned.
    This mirrors my experience as well.

Interesting how divergent opinions on the Baker bib's durability are.

Mine are from 2018 FWIW so a little older. Unfortunately I'm not a 100 day a year skier but I do have a decent amount of time in them touring, snowmobiling, and lift served and they've held up better than anything else I've recently owned. I wonder if they had a bad run of them or made a bad fabric choice one year or something.

the one's i had from 2016 didn't hold up well
    they switched the fabric to the one they had on the Chemical pant & I believe it's a much better product in that fabric now

Forgot to mention I run cold. Part of the reason I’m looking at the bakers. Don’t want to get into fully insulated but definitely don’t want a lightweight touring pant. Good suggestion though. Those look sweet.

Don’t buy fly low baker bids. Hands down the worst ski pants I’ve ever owned. Soaked through to base layer after 2 runs. Was only lightly snowing dry Utah snow. They might look cool but they are hands down the worst product I’ve ever used skiing. Even worse than marker twin cam bindings!

I have these for you. Norrona gore pro is very thick but full side zips. $250 OBO

XXl but fit like an XL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1646876742.806380.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	408898

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Well, I am sure you might be aware but for what it's worth, flylow winter stuff is 30% off right now. I have had great success with baker bibs but also have the tannen bib and those have seen most of the action this season without a complaint.

I dig my Stios. Pretty bomber, well made. On sale FWIW.

2 comments on FlyLow, okay perhaps 3

A) Their stuff seems lil less bomber than others- especially the pants. But I’m sticking with em as I tend to pass along my stuff prior to their demise. I also hate GoretexPro stuff AF stuff.

*I proto’d a chairlift ass pad beaver tail for when we’d not be able to go inside due to covid….. makes any pants work. Guy in Montana made it.

B) the Cobra coat goes away- I know Bc I asked my shop to order me a 2023 & it’s not an option anymore. My lil bro bought me this years on closeout - so stoked.

C) in trying to get a Cobra, I’ve seen next year’s catalog- the colors are way toned down. So if you like their current vibe- buy now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I dig my Stios. Pretty bomber, well made. On sale FWIW.
    Can’t endorse Stio anymore- they put a “concept shop” at the base of the Stratton access road & all the Westchesterites seem to think it’s a game to mismatch loud colorways; dumb AF & in sizes XXXL, stio skiers look more like acid tripping Pikachu impersonating Jerry’s.

Baker Bibs are nice, but not my style. I prefer something a bit more fitted with technical cuts--Noronna is awesome, the Capow big is nice.

I’m on my second set of Trew Trewth bibs over 6yrs. First set last me 2 seasons before the velcro on the thigh pockets completely came off and the cuffs were totally shredded. I sent them in for warranty and they sent me a full credit to which I purchased a new pair.
    Noticed they still had the same shite boot cuff material so I had a local seamstress sew on some 500 dinear cordura. Bomber now. The L fits my 5’10” 198lb frame perfectly with merino layers with enough room to step up to fleece pants if real cold. Not to baggy not to constricting. The upper chest pockets are perfect for money/phone/etc. Side leg zips for venting. Have never got wet in them and I’ve skied some very wet conditions in them as I live in the INW and venture to the Cascade crest every so often.
    I will probably go with them again when they die due to not finding another bib that fits like these or has the same pocket layout in the chest area.

So we’re totally united on this front as a collective! It’s amazing the love and hate of the Bakers. Probably the most divergent opinion I’ve seen of a piece of gear here since the Salomon Pocket Rocket.

Thanks for all the feedback. I’m a solid large in most things at 6’ 190, so I’ll get shopping.

yeah for some reason FLylow's pants all ways seem to be less waterproof than their Jackets of the same same given line.

I do have some Flylow insulated bibs I love for cold days, but I never wear them while its wet because they are so warm I would never want to wear them while its wet.

I have some Compounds Bibs coming made with eVent and fully expect them to be waterproof. I guess I will find out this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Can’t endorse Stio anymore- they put a “concept shop” at the base of the Stratton access road & all the Westchesterites seem to think it’s a game to mismatch loud colorways; dumb AF & in sizes XXXL, stio skiers look more like acid tripping Pikachu impersonating Jerry’s.
    Colorways are annoying.

But stio is bomber. And well designed.

PS. Who wears bibs? Stop falling. Or go full fart bag.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Or go full fart bag.
    Don't tempt me. Honestly I'm getting older and seriously struggling staying warm. I have a pair of Black Diamond Mission insulated pants that I love, but I want to give bibs a shot in the non-insulated form with a couple of heavier bases to see how it goes. If it's successful, I'll go all in and get some insulated bibs as well. Can't go Stio because they don't have black, and I do plan to wear them patrolling which means black only (sorta sucks but I'm not much for colors anyway).