Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Bibs.....again

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I’ve been trying to find the perfect everyday resort/sidecountry bib pants, and with the new Arc’teryx Rush Bibs, I might have found them.
    I’d much prefer to support Patagonia but there’s just no denying that Arcteryx, know how to make perfectly dialed products.
    Yep. Got 12 seasons out of my Arc Sabre Bibs, and after trying on a bunch of competitors (Norrona, Burton, BD, Trew, Flylow), decided to grab their Guide (6'2, 205#, XL). So far only drank coffee in em, but really looking forward to beating on em this Winter. They sure are sweet. Rush looks really nice as well. Skiers sure are spoiled for gear choice these days.

Edit to add: Almost forgot, they warrantied my Sabres (voucher).
    Last edited by Sylvan; 10-15-2022 at 09:57 AM.

I picked up a set of the Outdoor Research Mt Baker storm bibs on sale for $150 bucks this spring. Looking forward to trying them out. I'm just shy of 5'10", 160 pounds and the fit of the medium is spot on it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    My Trewth bibs wore out in the crotch again. Returned the last pair and they sent me new ones. Not sure I want to return them again. Might just go to another brand. Sucks, because I liked most everything about the Trewth bibs, but for some reason the crotch seams just can't handle me. haha
    Had the same issue with Trew in the past, seems like they just don’t have enough stretch in the material. Went back to Flylow and never looked back. Bummer, their gear really is bomber otherwise, I really like them and wouldn’t hesitate on their jackets or other gear, have several other items I’ve been stoked on.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Evo has a pair of 686 GoreTex bibs that look pretty good.
    "Let's be careful out there."

I've had very good luck with all my Flylow and Trew bibs. Bought a used pair of first generation Bakers, skied them at the resort for several years and I doubt they'll ever wear out. Easily the most bomber bibs I've ever seen. Bought a pair of Flylow Tannen bibs last year for touring in and really like them. Much, much lighter weight than the old Bakers, but plenty strong and durable, great for touring with the waist the perfect height for keeping snow out and not overheating at the same time. Bought the Trewth bibs five years ago for the resort and really like them. They're fairly light weight but have held up very well. I mostly ski bc, but ski the resort 15-20 days a season and they still look nearly new. All three bibs have kept the water out very well, the Tannens and Trewths because of good waterproofing and the old Bakers because they're so damn thick.

I was moderately happy with my Patagonia Snowdrifter bibs, which had a few weird design features, but fit well, until the laminate disintegrated through the entire crotch area within a couple of seasons.
    Could you elaborate a bit more on the weird design features of Snowdirfter bibs? I'm on the same mission and these are on my shortlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Stenis View Post
    Could you elaborate a bit more on the weird design features of Snowdirfter bibs? I'm on the same mission and these are on my shortlist.
    I didn’t see why the front was so high, never used the chest pocket, and not having a front zip always found them inconvenient to pee in, and slightly awkward to get into. They fit me well and feel great to ski in, but ultimately the membrane wasn’t durable beyond ~ 100 days.

I didn’t see why the front was so high, never used the chest pocket, and not having a front zip always found them inconvenient to pee in, and slightly awkward to get into. They fit me well and feel great to ski in, but ultimately the membrane wasn’t durable beyond ~ 100 days.
    Great info! Thanks.

I’ve been trying to find the perfect everyday resort/sidecountry bib pants, and with the new Arc’teryx Rush Bibs, I might have found them.

I’m long and lean (6’1”, 175lbs, typically 32” waist, 33” inseam), and am pretty fussy when it comes to fit. When I bend into the skiing position, I don’t want to be fighting against the fabric, and won’t accept when the cuff to pulls up, or the waist pulls down. Seems pretty simple, but not easy to find.
    I was moderately happy with my Patagonia Snowdrifter bibs, which had a few weird design features, but fit well, until the laminate disintegrated through the entire crotch area within a couple of seasons. Love the Patagucci warranty.
    Replaced them with a pair of Patagonia Untracked pants (all that was available at the time) and used them for half a season, but got plumbers butt with every bend. Am about to send em back.
    I tried on a variety of Patagonia, OR, and Norrona pants, but with no satisfaction. Had pretty much decided on the Arc’teryx Ski Guide Bibs, and was just waiting for Medium Tall to be stocked, but then bought the new Rush Bibs as soon as they became available, hoping for the best. Free shipping and returns made it a no risk proposition.
    The Rush Bibs fit perfectly (might be tight on someone less svelte), allow effortless movement, even the length (despite being listed as only 32”) is ideal. I love the softshell bib, the front zip (a feature perversely missing from my Snowdrifters), the extra burly cuff protection (same as on the pro bibs), and it’s hard to imagine going wrong with the 70D Gore Pro Most Rugged fabric.
    I’d much prefer to support Patagonia, for all the cliched ethical reasons, but there’s just no denying that Arcteryx, despite their Chinese (Anta) and pro Russian ownership, know how to make perfectly dialed products.
    You try Patagonia Powslayer bibs? Kinda more like tall pants with suspenders (no chest), but have beacon pocket. Good for skinny.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bibs.....again

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    You try Patagonia Powslayer bibs? Kinda more like tall pants with suspenders (no chest), but have beacon pocket. Good for skinny.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yes, I tried them on the Powderslayer bibs, and they would have worked ok. They fit pretty well, and are similar in most respects to the Rush bibs, however the Rush bib’s:
    - fit and design around the midsection is perfection (like a gentle corset). The Powderslayer also fits with a a weird unnecessary and uncomplimentary ass bulge.
    - Nylon fabric is burlier (70D Gore Pro Most Rugged vs Pro 40D), has a softer drape, and seems less likely to flap about when skiing at speed.
    - inside cuff protection (from their pro line) is significantly more durable. I trash my cuffs.

Powslayers have very strange fit imo. Tight in the waist but massive in thighs and ass.

My old gellanots strafe nomad is still going after more than 400 days a season since I got them. Seriously they are still ok, other than the seam tape falling off and numerous crampon holes I put in them. They were never waterproof enough that you could sit on spring snow, but they breathe very well. Well enough for volcano skiing in May. They were replaced with EB bibs that the stitching is is falling apart from the avi pack pleasure strap. They don't make the gellanots anymore so my experience does not reflect the new products. They should bring gellanots construction back and market it accordingly.

I'm going to go and try the Arcteryx Sabre bibs on, and hope they have something other than black.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    I'm going to go and try the Arcteryx Sabre bibs on, and hope they have something other than black.
    The fit on those is truly trash bagesque. Maybe I’m just skinny, but I regret keeping them due to the massive fit.

I went through this process and decided to give the Ortovox 3L Deep bibs a go this season. Everything else fit horribly and/or didn’t have the feature set I was looking for.

Got a TNF futurelight bib for pretty stupid cheap earlier this summer. So far like the fit as it's not a trash bag, but haven't actually skied it yet. Might still be some pretty good deals on it floating around.

If it's the same run, worth noting that the upper portion isn't camo - it's a flat green. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221018_225753.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	430450

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    Got a TNF futurelight bib for pretty stupid cheap earlier this summer. So far like the fit as it's not a trash bag, but haven't actually skied it yet. Might still be some pretty good deals on it floating around.

If it's the same run, worth noting that the upper portion isn't camo - it's a flat green. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221018_225753.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	430450

i didn’t know anyone outside of New Jersey bought snow camo.

do you ever get concerned that no one can see you?

I don't know what TGR thinks of North Face stuff, but I find their Futurelight stuff pretty decent albeit expensive.

I usually like interesting patterns but that particular pattern ensures you won't be found in a crash or avalanche, pretty bold lol

I think you got the women's version. I have the men's version and the fit is ridiculously wide at the top. But I do have the older version, so perhaps they fixed it.
    Name:  s-l400.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  16.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post

Why New Jersey?

I dunno. Ask them. Snow camo=Jersey ID.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post

Wasn't aware there was so much specificity to it. Just thought it was "camo."

Haven't worn them skiing yet. Will report back on my visibility and usability once I know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Stenis View Post
    Powslayers have very strange fit imo. Tight in the waist but massive in thighs and ass.
    I'm going to have to try a pair now, I'm tired of all these pants/bibs that are designed for people who've never seen a squat rack. Not that I'm a paragon of fitness but I swear a lot of manufacturers think men are built like an apple with two pencils jammed into it.

Not bibs but I tried on a pair of Zeta SL pants recently that fit me perfectly in the waist and inseam but I couldn't even full zip the boot zips around my calves it was so tight. My standard hiking pants, the OR Ferrosi, is 2 sizes larger in the waist than necessary so my backpacking partners can't count the change in my front pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    I'm going to have to try a pair now, I'm tired of all these pants/bibs that are designed for people who've never seen a squat rack. Not that I'm a paragon of fitness but I swear a lot of manufacturers think men are built like an apple with two pencils jammed into it.

Not bibs but I tried on a pair of Zeta SL pants recently that fit me perfectly in the waist and inseam but I couldn't even full zip the boot zips around my calves it was so tight. My standard hiking pants, the OR Ferrosi, is 2 sizes larger in the waist than necessary so my backpacking partners can't count the change in my front pockets.
    You'll love'em! I wear size 30" for skinny Swedish jeans, but size M in Powslayers was too tight in waist and size L that I own is like a spinnaker.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyadolescent View Post
    I've had very good luck with all my Flylow and Trew bibs. Bought a used pair of first generation Bakers, skied them at the resort for several years and I doubt they'll ever wear out. Easily the most bomber bibs I've ever seen. Bought a pair of Flylow Tannen bibs last year for touring in and really like them. Much, much lighter weight than the old Bakers, but plenty strong and durable, great for touring with the waist the perfect height for keeping snow out and not overheating at the same time. Bought the Trewth bibs five years ago for the resort and really like them. They're fairly light weight but have held up very well. I mostly ski bc, but ski the resort 15-20 days a season and they still look nearly new. All three bibs have kept the water out very well, the Tannens and Trewths because of good waterproofing and the old Bakers because they're so damn thick.
    I really want new Trew bibs in large part because with SAGA going out of business they are one of the only options with burly material and long inseams... but damn! $500 is about 2x too expensive. Looks like im gonna rely on nikiwax heavy and often again to coax my outerwear through yet another season of PNW wetness.

^^^ Trew is pretty wild with discounts. If you watch, you'll catch 40% off deals.

They also tend to go super deep discount at evo, for whatever reason.