Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Bibs.....again

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

PS. Who wears bibs?
    Guilty - I find its just better exposure protection & more places to stash stuff when I ski bell to bell. If only skiing for and hour or 2, I rock pants.

Patagonia Snowdrifter for when conditions are mild/not too wet, or for touring. Arcteryx Beta SV for when it's cold AF, stormy, etc.

Fuck Flylow Baker Bibs, I destroyed a pair in about 15 days of skiing. Fuck Flylow in general.

I wish Arcteryx would do a re-release of the Minuteman Bib from the early 2000's. I can count on one hand the number of days I've skied in pants instead of bibs since I first got a pair of those. Bib convert for life.

Berne insulated duck bibs are the shit. They come in a nice brown color which will remind other skiers that you're not a pretentious fuck. And they're not Carhartt so you don't have to worry about getting lumped in with them philosophically. The norrona ones are nice too. I found a black pair so that I don't have to rock the mismatched skittles look. But they're like 4x the cost of the Berne ones and let's face it, they're more than a tiny bit pretentious. For lift served it's prolly fine, cuz you know lift served is all about the Benjamins, but in the backcountry where we play nice brown duck bibs are the spot.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Berne insulated duck bibs are the shit. They come in a nice brown color which will remind other skiers that you're not a pretentious fuck. And they're not Carhartt so you don't have to worry about getting lumped in with them philosophically. The norrona ones are nice too. I found a black pair so that I don't have to rock the mismatched skittles look. But they're like 4x the cost of the Berne ones and let's face it, they're more than a tiny bit pretentious. For lift served it's prolly fine, cuz you know lift served is all about the Benjamins, but in the backcountry where we play nice brown duck bibs are the spot.
    Dude, get hip https://riptonco.com/products/mens-winteralls

I've had great luck with three different Arc bibs over a few thousand days. Have some Lofoten Pro's that are great, but long for my long legs... I'd like to support the local Strafe crew, but the durability is forever questionable.

I am a short-legged dude, and 10 years plus ago, the arc'teryx stinger bib in a Medium-short was the bee's knees.
    I still have them, but don't wear them much.

Recently, I have switched over the the Stio Environ pants and they fit me really well and they do tend to ride down a bit with just a belt.
    I tore them after I took a horizontal dead tree (2-3" in diameter) to the shin, which then broke and tore the pant (no knock on pant's durability).

I have just ordered a pair of the Stio Environ Bibs in a medium, so we'll see how that goes.
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    yeah for some reason FLylow's pants all ways seem to be less waterproof than their Jackets of the same same given line.

I do have some Flylow insulated bibs I love for cold days, but I never wear them while its wet because they are so warm I would never want to wear them while its wet.

I have some Compounds Bibs coming made with eVent and fully expect them to be waterproof. I guess I will find out this spring.
    I bought some Compound Bibs and switched them to pants because I hate bibs. I've skied them on two long wet and snowy days and they protected me as well as I could expect them to. I do find them a little chilly in cold weather.

My Stio bibs have been a bit of a durability disappointment. Thanks m 3 years, 150 days or so in…cuffs shredded.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I am sitting here wondering how you folks can fuck up yer ski pants SO fast, are the cuffs self-shredding, does anybody fix anything ?

did your bibs really fuckup on you ?

or did you fuck them up ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-10-2022 at 03:02 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Bought the jorts as a joke, ended up spending 50% of my MTB rides this past summer in them. Got the winteralls on sale and worn them a few times already but very excited for spring.

Have y'all tried skiing with a Larry Craig stance?

This is a funneh thread. Uncle JMEd liked Arc’teryx stinger bibs (no longer made unfortunately) and nowadays for waterproof needs I rotate Sabre AR pants and Beta SV bibs.

The old stinger bibs in size large short are beat to hell and have been moved to moto duty as they fit pretty good over the moto gear.

My first pair of Trewth bib from 2012 delammed so I got a free new pair from Trew. The second pair also delammed so I got a third free pair. I think this was an issue with their older material that they have since resolved.

This third pair has lasted 5 years (~300 days of skiing, hiking, backcountry, etc). Super comfy, bomber (I have a couple small edge tears in the "superfabric" cuff), DWR finally starting to come off just this season (is it wrong that I never wash my bibs?). I just bought a new pair (along with powfunk jacket) this week because I've been rocking my current kit for the past 5 years.

sports gear is the onlytime that some one would wear clothing for 5 years and not wash it

just get your mom to wash it

delammed gortex is the holy grail

+1 for Norrona Tamok.

I'm 5'11'', 200 lbs and a 34 inch waist and the medium are a good fit. I wish they were slightly larger in the thighs, but they still fit fine. Large was way too big on me.

The Tamok has been really bombproof for me.

My gf got a pair of flylow baker bibs this season and a button ripped off on day two. Not bombproof, can't recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    sports gear is the onlytime that some one would wear clothing for 5 years and not wash it

just get your mom to wash it

delammed gortex is the holy grail
    I’ve washed waterproof stuff before and done the recoating with DWR. Its never as good as the original. You can get away with not washing outerwear in Colorado cause everything dries in five minutes. So here we are, five years later and nobody will sit next to me on a chairlift.

Bibs.....again

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Noticed they still had the same shite boot cuff material so I had a local seamstress sew on some 500 dinear cordura. Bomber now.
    I did the same thing with a pair of Mammut pants with Sunbrella marine canvas I found on Amazon. It’s stiff at first but it softens up a little, seems very durable and waterproof so far.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 03-11-2022 at 08:27 AM.

So it sounds like baker bibs are great, but QC is suspect (depending on model year?), resulting in premature failure. So that is the chance you take, and almost certainly warrantied. And they make a ton of them, and people buy them. Or you can spend double and buy arcteryx, who can’t design a proper goretex bib pant anymore, or norrona if you’re into that euro skinny fit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jvhowube View Post
    I’ve washed waterproof stuff before and done the recoating with DWR. Its never as good as the original. You can get away with not washing outerwear in Colorado cause everything dries in five minutes. So here we are, five years later and nobody will sit next to me on a chairlift.

5 years is a strong run! Well done. You think any women have a fetish for worn bibs, ya know, just like guys that buy those used panties?

I picked up some mountain hardwear boundary gtx bibs this season. Really like them so far. Goldilocks fit between the giant bakers and the slim euro stuff. Easy to find on sale.

2nd pair of Trewth bibs here. First pair I blew out the crotch after 2 seasons, and they gave me a credit for a new pair. Pretty nice of them. I held the credit for the next season and got brand new ones. 2.5 seasons in on the new pair. No complaints. Cuffs are getting cut in spots but I suck at skiing so it is probably my fault. I'd buy them again. Fit is decent. I'm 6'2" and the XL fits me fine, a little long in the inseam maybe though.

Bibs.....again

I’m on my third pair of Norrona Lofoten bibs since 2004, which I guess is its own endorsement. It’s kind of a hybrid bib, I guess, unlike the tamok.

I like their stuff… just bought a jacket, actually. The fit for a medium has been a little bit bruising to the old ego. They fit great at 155lbs. Kinda tight at 160-165. Over 165 is a problem and I’d prefer to not discuss it anymore thank you. It’s inspired me to keep it under 160, though, and when I’m drinking too much beer they let me know promptly.

I hear you on the getting cold thing… it’s been a weird experience for me. I actually just went on thyroid medication a few months ago and have noticed a definite improvement in staying warm, among other things.

God we’re getting old.
    focus.

As to the cuffs…. I screw mine up because I ski wide skis with my feet close together and I keep my edges sharp. Aqua seal plus duct tape has been my repair solution of choice, but I should find a local sewing shop that can attach some cordura or whatever.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jvhowube View Post
    ergo, for why are you worried about the dwr?

Jesus. Wash your shit. Dry it on high. No fabric softener. Quit overthinking it.
    focus.

I've got about 20 days on a pair of baker bibs this season. Sledding and general ski hill duty. Rode em in a moist coast storm and they worked as well as my arcteryx. Seem tough af, not sure how you guys are destroying them.