Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Decent social scenes in Elko and Ely, though I much prefer the hwy 50 corridor to the I 80.
    Not so true for Austin, Eureka, or Kingston - though I'm sure the bar scenes are "entertaining."
    Was just through Ely last week and the film festival was on. Looked pretty cool.

Spent a week skiing out of Ely last month https://eastsidescott.blogspot.com/2...-skiing-i.html
    Would be nice to have a snowmobile, but certainly not mandatory.

Don't think touring every day was what the OP had in mind though.
    I think others have beat me to it, but Beaver UT/Eagle Point would be worth a look.

I think every American should be required to take a very slow drive through the 50 corridor to gain some serious perspective.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Amen. It's a whole 'nother world.
    Something about it is quite appealing.
    The wife is having none of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by weavin View Post
    I've done it 6 times and I never know what to expect, even if I think I do.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3AFF4B8-ABFC-473A-9874-1E2106FCEB29.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	974.6 KB 
ID:	409844

yeah, fresno….. yep.

My SO, on her first drive across NV on 50, simply texted "Austin...wow"

I have been nearly everywhere in NV and agree that there is nearly unlimited solitude to be had. The tiny towns and outskirts of them are way too "Let's Go Brandon" for me, but if you're into that you'll feel right at home. Last weekend i saw a house (compound) flying a full sized Nazi flag just outside of Silver Springs. I prefer to visit the middle of nowhere rather than live in it.

In 2016 i saw a lady in Eureka right on the main drag with a giant Biden sign in her yard. I stopped to talk to her and she said she sometimes walked through town with her musket too, daring people to say something. It was pretty badass.

Also: " What the hell is a Jarbidge?"
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I've done it 6 times and I never know what to expect, even if I think I do.
    I never expected to be spread out on the hood of the sheriff's car cuffed looking at 6 to 10.
    off your knees Louie

Flown over that area of 50 many times when in the Navy and I unequivocally say there is nothing out there. Once I think we went to Middlegate to get a burger and a bunch of beers. It is truly amazing how little there is out there. Navy owns all the airspace above it flying out of Fallon, NV.

Hospitals and medical care. Always consider that, even if you are young to youngish. Just talked to an old friend who is driving hours just for a decent oral surgeon.

Don't be a pussy, Benny.

Send that shit and figure it out later. ;-)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I think every American should be required to take a very slow drive through the 50 corridor to gain some serious perspective.
    I slept on the side of 50 one night and not one car passed me that night or in the morning.

I'd rather have to drive hours for oral surgery every once in a while than have to drive hours to go skiing

Wait, like every, EVERY American? Hows about the like minded people on this forum and some others but everyone? No. Let em think it's the sage brush wasteland that they think it is and leave it alone for those that love to wander without anyone else around.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by weavin View Post
    My better half pretty much said the same.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I slept on the side of 50 one night and not one car passed me that night or in the morning.

So beautifully and perfectly lonely it is out there.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Did I ever tell you I stopped by there on my way back from Montana? Cool area.
    No, or I don't remember at least. Did you drive up the canyon or could you then? It's magical really. That idea I had could crush it honestly. Oh well, I'm too old to go on with it but someone should.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Hospitals and medical care. Always consider that, even if you are young to youngish. Just talked to an old friend who is driving hours just for a decent oral surgeon.
    Oh fuck for christ sake. Go ski Breckinridge then.

OK though, there's something real to this statement. The current owner of the Lucky Spur decided to sell after he had a heart attack last year and realized he didn't have quick access to a hospital. He survived but is trying to get out.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I did some claim staking and soil sampling in that 50 area one spring for a geotechnical consulting company that was based out of Missoula and run by two lesbians who were friends of mine. So one night we were in some podunk bar and my work buddy was dancing with one of the lesbians to country music when he got cold cocked in the face by a cowboy. Turned out the cowboy thought it was two guys dancing together.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I'd rather have to drive hours for oral surgery every once in a while than have to drive hours to go skiing
    Well you will have to drive hours for that oral surgery and climb for hours to get to proper skiing but that's sort of the beauty in all of it.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I did some claim staking and soil sampling in that 50 area one spring for a geotechnical consulting company that was based out of Missoula and run by two lesbians who were friends of mine. So one night we were in some podunk bar and my work buddy was dancing with one of the lesbians to country music when he got cold cocked in the face by a cowboy. Turned out the cowboy thought it was two guys dancing together.
    That's called the Wild West. Time to fight me thinks eh?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Is there a place in the USA that’s cheap to live and has good skiing

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    No, or I don't remember at least. Did you drive up the canyon or could you then? It's magical really. That idea I had could crush it honestly. Oh well, I'm too old to go on with it but someone should.
    It was early December so I was able to poke around a bit no problem. I still like the idea… not sure I have it in me but once I get some things settled who knows. The peacefulness out there is great.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    ha. Not suppose to be funny yet I laughed out loud. Forgive me Satan. I've visited a few bars like that in AK and many in MT. Once some guy tried to fight me in AK because I was drinking a cranberry vodka and he told me it was too girly - sure OK, he did use stronger words than that - but it wasn't about the drink, he just wanted to fight someone. I think he just wanted to touch another man and it seemed like a bunch of weird baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    ha. Not suppose to be funny yet I laughed out loud. Forgive me Satan. I've visited a few bars like that in AK and many in MT. Once some guy tried to fight me in AK because I was drinking a cranberry vodka and he told me it was too girly - sure OK, he did use stronger words than that - but it wasn't about the drink, he just wanted to fight someone. I think he just wanted to touch another man and it seemed like a bunch of weird baggage.
    For some reason, I imagine ‘Wes’ from urban cowboy.

Lookin for love in all the wrong places…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    You say this, and then it turns into your newborn being life flighted for a relatively routine issue that any reasonably sized hospital could handle in house.

Take a gander at what that costs you both monetarily and mentally and your perspective changes.

Mountain towns are great for play but life isn’t all fun and games and sometimes that stuff matters.