Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Reminds me of the person who asked me at Vail one day, "where's the lift with no lines and untracked powder"?
    Yellowstone club?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Reminds me of the person who asked me at Vail one day, "where's the lift with no lines and untracked powder"?
    And you told him Ski Cooper?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Wtf is up with the Wisconsin shit.

Dude abides in the UP.
    Which is way better. But still sucks.
    Nah, you're wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    One might think this was affordable but wages in Cache Valley are pretty low. This is where I moved after college to support my wife at Utah State for her PhD.
    We rented this 3000 sqft house for $650/month, on 10 acres. It’s now mid $600k.
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...07667503_zpid/

Had a pass at the Beav for $200. Bear Lake doesn’t offer much in amenities, hence tip wages are virtually non existent. It was difficult to live there in the late 1990s on low wages.
    If dude is single no kids van it. Completely eliminate re. Make 15/20$ per hr. Answer to noone. No overhead. No lawn, snow removal, hoa, horrible neighbor, bullshit furniture you never touch etc.

He's old and single. Commit to that and set yourself free. Put money into the market, gold,silver guns, BTC.

Ski 100+ days, stare at trees, prosper. Laugh at people w no free time. Occasionally bang chicks.

Cheap and "good" skiing? Not that I know of. I'm a point where I'm ready to give up terrain, and even snow, if I don't have to fight the crowds anymore. I'm going for expensive living, on par with here or maybe a bit more, and "OK" skiing close, with good to awesome skiing in day trip range but not every day. Of course if there were a cheap place that fit that description that would be great but...
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Nah, you're wrong there.
    Wait what? How do you figure?
    focus.

“Live isolated and alone in your dotage” isn’t good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Wait what? How do you figure?
    Wisconsin is sweet. If you want total sticks weirdness of the UP, you can get that lots of places. Wisconsin has a great mix of both outdoors/rural shit, but also civilization, close to major airports, and the Packers are objectively better than the Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This thread turned into quite the dickwaving contest...

Buying a house cheaply right at the base of a great ski area in the western US is a pipe dream at this point. But there are a LOT of places still that you can live 30-60min away from pretty good skiing where homes cost less than the national median (since we never specified a price, we'll just go with that as the definition of affordable). Jobs may or may not be a challenge.

Pick a ski area that's in a somewhat remote area (ie not the Colorado I-70 corridor or SLC/Park City areas), look for small communities 30-50 miles away, and there you go. The Del Norte suggestion really isn't bad. Median home price is $250k and you're 45min away from pretty decent skiing at Wolf Creek.
    I would of mentioned Del Norte however he is to late.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/five-mo...er-11645564795
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Srsly - there are probably *lots* of us that didn't come from money. Some of us even escaped the hell which is Michigan. Or Indiana. Or Ohio.

Shit - I didn't even *learn* to really ski until I moved out west. Skiing was nowhere close to where I lived, and it was pretty expensive even back then if you were a kid that didn't have much money.
    It’s a forum full of people talking about their stock trades and whether or not to get a prenup because they’re getting married with a 7 figure net worth, and how to handle the annoying litigious proletariat in their rental property investments and which european luxury car is better than the other one and “I bought a private island, what should I do with my island” and in the middle of that I ask if anyone would PM me if they know of a place that’s cheap to live and near good skiing, and the “cheap” discussion begins with telling me places where rent is significantly higher than my income and houses are selling for 3x a house I am struggling to afford right now… like I said, my mistake. Dentists. Tgr. Should know better.

And how about not worrying about me and my shit job and my shit money and if you know about a cheap place with good skiing in the US, shoot me a PM. Or don’t, or stir up some more rabble for the thread. Or send me $300,000 real estate listings, but that’s not what I meant.

What if it’s just so I can have something to dream about that’s maybe feasible someday, just so I have some hope? Because looking at my old neighborhood and house in Salt Lake and how far out of reach it has become was pretty viscerally upsetting. It just would be nice to know there’s maybe still a way, somewhere. You don’t have to dox me and try to send an emergency financial planning intervention to my house.
    Being an experienced professional in my field, I understand how googling “trucking salary” produces the numbers that show up and the always-frustrating conversations that follow. I know that world, it’s probably not what you think it is There’s so much bullshit in the recruiting, there’s also a lot of situations where if all you do is drive like hell and live in a truck you can make some money. There are lots of situations that are basically a laborer job and some driving mixed in, there’s a lot to talk about with all that and I’m generally not wild about trying to explain the difference between reality and marketing when it comes to driving jobs. I get all that. If I wanted a truly shitty six 14 hour days a week job., I could probably do that here or anywhere. that’s driving…it’s a shitty world and that’s why they never stop with the disingenuous recruiting to backfill the constant turnover. That’s why I’m at the top of my union seniority list after 8 years, because it’s nonstop turnover because it’s not what you think it is.

Muted I don’t give a shit about night skiing. I’ve never liked night skiing, that’s not what I was talking about.
    I ski in the morning and work from noon or 2pm to 8 or 10.
    In other years in this job I’ve worked from 5am to 1 or 2 and skied after work. I skied daily living in Salt Lake, Taos, and Gunnison CO on split shifts, mid day breaks, evening shifts, night shifts, being laid off for the winter, whatever. Same here. The point about close, is it’s close enough that it’s feasibly part of day to day life.

A place with skiing, like a place where normal working people get 100 days in and it’s not some incredible feat of getting up at 4am and driving 200 miles a day or taking a bunch of vacations or whatever. I don’t know why I’m still explaining this, plenty of people understood and sent good suggestions. Thanks. Case closed.

I’m not retarded, I wasn't asking if I can be a janitor and buy a house in Jackson. If you think that’s what this thread was, I mean jesus, just come on. Wtf

Result: there are some good suggestions, lots of which I had considered and a few totally off my radar. Homework to do. Thanks for those. The rest of it, bunch of frustrating nonsense drama.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 03-10-2022 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    <snip>
    The rest of it, bunch of nonsense drama.
    You must be new here?

It’s a forum….The rest of it, bunch of nonsense drama.
    Are you new here?

Edit: snaked by excessive use of finger mustache man

Dude, poors aren’t allowed to dream, so declare the 8-figure middle class divorcees of tgnar

You can be a insufferable cunt, but TGNar is great.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    This thread reeks of someone who asked a question in the hopes that we would confirm the negative. No matter what we had said short of a straightup fairly tale, a reason would have been found to dismiss the suggestion.

Pretty similar to a fat middle aged man asking his super healthy in-shape coworker how to get in shape and be healthier, for the sole purpose of proving to himself that it will be too hard so why bother trying.
    No, I just hadn’t looked in a long time. Saw how out of touch I was, spent a few more days looking around, got really depressed, and figured there’s probably more going on and somebody somewhere would have suggestions. And that’s what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Tough love moment here.

2-3 years ago IAS was on here bitching about the current living situation he was in and was told by several people, get the fuck outta there and move back west.

He couldn't/didn't. Well times change and that possibility is no longer within reach.

My net worth has no bearing on that.
    Wife was set on staying, her career > my job.
    I may still stay. I have an elderly mother and an elderly dog and a whole lot of junk here.

All this isn’t what the thread was for. It wasn’t a fucking audit of my life and times, and by the way seriously…guy, go fuck yourself. Really.

I'll tell you what man, taking control of your own financial life by eliminating your overhead, increasing your free time and flexibility is fucking tits.

You can work hard part of the year, save money, travel etc

If you don't have kids the world is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Are you new here?
    Nah. He posted the same thread two years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

This reminds me of struggling to survive in Crested Butte from '85 to '93. First I lived in a mobile home down in Gunnison that was $200 / month and drove to work at the mountain in my '72 VW Bug (when it was running). When the Bug died I took the bus. One day some guy put an ad in the paper advertising a slopeside condo in the Whetstone building. The guy was renting it out for $200 a month (in 1992) just to piss off the property manager who he was having a dispute with. I was making about $1200 a month at the time and this was affordable.

Now CB is a complete shit show for people trying to live on local poverty wages, but for perspective even 30 years ago buying a home on poverty wages was not possible.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    I'll tell you what man, taking control of your own financial life by eliminating your overhead, increasing your free time and flexibility is fucking tits.

You can work hard part of the year, save money, travel etc

If you don't have kids the world is yours.
    What’s even easier is just making up shit, like you can live on $5 a day.

Of course, you might be a starving child in Africa with brain damage, and then someone sponsors you

What about living near Whitefish MT?

northwest montana is not "cheap to live" ( especially Whitefish )

( skiJ )

figured there’s probably more going on and somebody somewhere would have suggestions. And that’s what happened.
    I hope you take the leap. Somewhere suggested. A change of scene can be invigorating, and the new challenges energizing. You have the info, so now it's just up to you if you want to pursue it. Godspeed, and hopefully you're posting stoke from a rad place next year.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    Now CB is a complete shit show for people trying to live on local poverty wages, but for perspective even 30 years ago buying a home on poverty wages was not possible.
    I left Durango to go to law school some 25 years ago when I realized that my "good" job, which paid $2k/mo gross, was never going to allow me to buy a house there. It was easy living but hard to make a living.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I left Durango to go to law school some 25 years ago when I realized that my "good" job, which paid $2k/mo gross, was never going to allow me to buy a house there. It was easy living but hard to make a living.
    i know of people who bought into bend on less than that then. The blanket assertion that one couldn’t anywhere is pure bullshit. And if dadbodbros had the self awareness of what attracted them, they’d realize