Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Is there a place in the USA that’s cheap to live and has good skiing

I suspect, much like the college kid asking where to move thread, the answer is the same.

Go to a place you want to be & figure it out. Yes, it will be hard.

Being there is half the battle. Staying there is the other half.

Maybe go to Jackson this spring & start by meeting up with the mag locals. My guess is that with that assistance you will figure some shit out and make a niche for yourself.

In one perspective, going where the rich are means there will be jobs to serve their catered whims. Housing may be further out, but the local companies are begging for workers.

OR

Search for the mountain town jobs that seem to come up every year in the TRGz
    Framing job in Taos
    Roofing job in eastern WA
    I feel like AK heli ops even asked at one point

I found a cabin on acreage near Saddleback Maine for 139,000.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    You fuck off. I worked my ass off, worked my spine into permanent lifelong problems, and my brain and my hands and knees… and could barely afford to live in Utah when the housing was 1/4 what it is now. People who say it’s cheap now are rich people living in a different reality.
    It is what it is, that’s always been the deal with this forum, I’m one of the few lifelong skiers who didn’t come from money, just grew up where skiing was really accessible in town and I could buy a season pass with paper route money. I still forget sometimes that 99% of the sport is gatekept for the wealthy…and that’s often reflected here, we’re going to talk about bmws and 80,000 land cruisers and heli ski trips and where the best cheese is in Europe. I get it. I regret posting the thread, I don’t want to disrespect the discussion by deleting it.

For specific reference: if the answer is no, there’s no such thing…that’s the answer. So be it. But I’ve gotten a few good back channel suggestions that give me some things to research and that will help me get through another day.
    It was my imprecise language that invited millionaire people to chime in with the $2500/mo mortgage is dirt cheap takes. My fault. I overestimated the dentistry’s willingness to read between the lines and take a holistic good-faith approach to the question. Enough people understood and sent useful PMs, the rest is on-brand, I should know better by now. Yada yada
    No fuck you, your whiney ass is the reason you are where you are. You are a white male in America. You had chances. You blew them. You'll have more. Change your mentality and stop making excuses, and maybe you'll get what you are looking for.

It struck me last night that this is pretty much the ultimate first world problem. Most of us probably already live in locations with better access to recreation than nearly everyone in their own country, forget about the world overall. I'm almost jealous there are people who can be happy living in some Podunk town in the Midwest, but that ship has sailed for me. Truly the rat race.

Man, some people living the dream really sound insecure and miserable

For lots of people ski towns are located at the end of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    You fuck off. I worked my ass off, worked my spine into permanent lifelong problems, and my brain and my hands and knees… and could barely afford to live in Utah when the housing was 1/4 what it is now. People who say it’s cheap now are rich people living in a different reality.
    It is what it is, that’s always been the deal with this forum, I’m one of the few lifelong skiers who didn’t come from money, just grew up where skiing was really accessible in town and I could buy a season pass with paper route money. I still forget sometimes that 99% of the sport is gatekept for the wealthy…and that’s often reflected here, we’re going to talk about bmws and 80,000 land cruisers and heli ski trips and where the best cheese is in Europe. I get it. I regret posting the thread, I don’t want to disrespect the discussion by deleting it.

For specific reference: if the answer is no, there’s no such thing…that’s the answer. So be it. But I’ve gotten a few good back channel suggestions that give me some things to research and that will help me get through another day.
    It was my imprecise language that invited millionaire people to chime in with the $2500/mo mortgage is dirt cheap takes. My fault. I overestimated the dentistry’s willingness to read between the lines and take a holistic good-faith approach to the question. Enough people understood and sent useful PMs, the rest is on-brand, I should know better by now. Yada yada
    Are there plenty of wealthy people on this board? Absolutely.

Did they all come from wealth, or did they get there through luck, hard work, whatever? Many fall in the latter category.

Are there plenty of middle class people on this board, who just like skiing and have found a lifestyle that works for them? Also absolutely.

I'm admittedly a little sensitive to this topic because I got accused by someone on this board as being "rich" when I work in a government job, supporting a family, with ski and bike equipment that is mostly a decade old, a vehicle that's 16 years old, and vacations are for the most part camping trips because that's all I can afford. I live in an expensive as fuck place because I like living here, not because it makes financial sense and not because I'm wealthy. Do I make more money than the person who accused me of being rich, or more than you? Probably. Am I rich, is it fair to dismiss me as a "millionaire"? Fuck no (and I'm not remotely a millionaire by any measure). And I am not unique on this board, lots of people like me.

So just because you grew up a certain way, I think the "fuck off" comment is warranted if you want to dismiss everyone's viewpoint because you've decided that they are all wealthy. Sure, some people chimed in with off-base suggestions, but I think you've also unfairly painted everyone with a broad brush, because it allows you to dismiss them as fundamentally differently situated than you, when in reality many of them just made different choices than you. Which is fine, we all make choices, but you're asking about making a change in your life, a "different choice", so you should be a little more open to suggestions. Or if you don't want to be more open, at least a little less derisively dismissive.

And with a CDL, you could probably go anywhere and make $50k-$60k a year starting (I'm guessing, and I suspect it's possibly more), so pleading poverty isn't exactly correct. You could afford to live in lots of places. You just have choices to make, like most of us.
    Last edited by Danno; 03-10-2022 at 11:19 AM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

man

not trying to come off dickish just saying what it is

if I could go back to my 20's living in a ski town sign me up I'd do it for a life time it was so much fun so free and so awesome but that shit is done over
    it's your age - my age
    complain about your body everyones body is fucked by 50 the thing you can do is take care of yourself mentally and physically

I can cry about my body telling me it's over too but I do the best I can every day it is depressing and sad that i'm a shell of what I once was physically it doesn't get in my way though because I don't let it sure there are days and moments when I'm devastated and depressed about it, but I don't let it consume me, how do you try to tell some chick that she has to deal with the noise from the 02 machine running for 12 hrs a day how do you have an honest conversation about your own death and dying with people thats real life thats what happens when you get old and your body gives up on you

stop the rich people thing too thats bullshit and another excuse you put in front of yourself I'm on vacation this week and I have to work 2-4 hrs a day while on "vacation" to keep my world turning I work harder and more now than I ever have in my entire life the rewards for doing so are great how I wish I had the things I have now when I was in my 20's but I didn't instead I flew around the state in a 84 subaru putting up hills, shaking hard on the down hill, dogs hanging out the windows and not a care to for the world somedays I'd give everything to have that again

but yeah you can look at me in passing and think another rich tool from colorado who has everything in life and is a piece of shit

not that I give a care what other people think they don't know my story they don't know me so assume all you want

get out of your own way

I write this trying to give advice and it also helps me personally to deal with my own shit

I'd sell everything I own... except my vinyl, ski and guitar equipment, to be house poor in a ski town. I'm a teacher. So don't talk to me about being rich. Have struggled to make ends meet for most of my career. Watched from the sidelines waiting for the day I can walk away with my pension, savings, and a little bit more. To live my dream of being a retired ski bum with a part time ski instructor gig.

I guess who's "wealthy" is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't get the impression that most people who post here are truly wealthy in the way IAS described. There may be some, but I think it's mostly professionals. People in jobs where they're sitting in front of a computer all day and need a diversion from time to time.

If no kids single. Buy a van. No brainer. Who the fuck wants to take care of all the house shit anyway.

Big o tire in Bozeman starts at 25$ an hour. You will have virtually no expenses.

All the super places are paying high, jobs are everywhere.

My fixed costs are 1800$ per YEAR.

It's not rocket science

I think a privileged description is more accurate than rich. Many of us have had greater opportunity and more second chances after we fucked up due to our skin color and the privilege it provides.

I think its a little bit luck, and a little bit willing to take a risk here and there. Some are more lucky than others, some are more willing to take risks.

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    I think a privileged description is more accurate than rich. Many of us have had greater opportunity and more second chances after we fucked up due to our skin color and the privilege it provides.
    Agreed. I've never, ever had to consider whether any decision I've made would affect whether or not I'd continue to have a roof over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I guess who's "wealthy" is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't get the impression that most people who post here are truly wealthy in the way IAS described. There may be some, but I think it's mostly professionals. People in jobs where they're sitting in front of a computer all day and need a diversion from time to time.
    We have a Lower/Middle/Upper class thread for that.
    I've always found that guessing net worths from afar is one of the most foolish things you can do. We all know rich dudes who act broke, or broke dudes who spend like it's nobody's business. No one puts their balance sheet in the open.
    Anyway, I do like the broad strokes of this being a sport for the 1%. I'll remember that when I buy my $520 A-Basin pass today.

I'm at beaver mtn now. Super cool hill. Plenty of good turns all season.

375$ FULL season pass.

10$. A month planet fitness membership. Work in Logan, spend time in peaceful.logan canyon. Bear lake on summer. Prob high tip jobs in summer in bear lake.

Buy a reasonably reliable van and kit it out yourself. Easy.

There is your super low cost life in the mountains. You're welcome. I'll waive the consulting fee

Highway 4, CA between Angles camp and Bear Valley. Or 108 between Sonora and Dodge Ridge.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...66974563_zpid/
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...66975508_zpid/

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

logan, ut/ beaver moutain has really good backcountry in the different canyons. For a public university town it's still surprisingly like 90% mormon (for some reason I'd think a university town would be far more liberal/not mormon). Speaking of brewery, they have one getting their tanks installed this week. Aggie ice cream is fire too.

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    absolutely true of me, both in skin color and in my upper middle class upbringing. I was really lucky in the birth lottery, relatively speaking, and I am well aware of that. And that is something I gather IAS did not have. But as an adult, I've been on my own and succeeded or failed on my own decisions.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    The other day I heard a guy in the Big Sky tram line telling his friend he was buying in Helena because he couldn't afford Bozeman anymore. I thought oh fuck...not exactly news but we have definitely got the spillover effect going on, along with all the redneck Texans moving here because no vax mandates, etc. I'm pretty sure some of these people will move away when this covid stuff fades but who knows. Hardly a day goes by when I don't see a Texas plate.
    I was in wise river eating dinner and some pburg folks who didnt know me were going off about Bozeman people moving in. Oops. Prob same folks who bitch about not having any carpenters..

Our likely to be next mayor moved here from Texas and I personally know at least one family from Washington who moved here from Washington because of vax mandates. It is what is, I'll just be happy I can pretty much work when I want and go skiing.

And yeah anaconda is getting more expensive but yeti would prob like the working class town with 20 min access to skiing and proximity to I90 for cdl opportunities. I know someone who bought a little shitty house for 80k bought 6 months ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Highway 4, CA between Angles camp and Bear Valley. Or 108 between Sonora and Dodge Ridge.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...66974563_zpid/
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...66975508_zpid/

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Anyways, back on subject - you rich guys are touchy - Dodge Ridge and Bear Valley seem like good options. As for places with good B.C. - I don't think IAS mentioned he wanted backcountry access. As for night skiing after work, few places out west do night skiing anymore. Night skiing + cheap housing seems like an impossible requirement to fill, am I wrong?

Is Anchorage a "ski town"?

Prices look reasonablish.

Upstate is what you’re looking for. We got more ski areas than any other state in the nation. The cost of living is low here as is the cost of skiing.

And as I told you before, we are hiring at the canal. That’s $50-$60,000 a year to be an aquatic elevator operator. The pace of work has not changed in the last hundred years. You can live like a king around here on that kind of cash.

if that’s not your bag, check out Rangeley, Maine.

IAS, can you run heavy equipment? I know a couple guys making 100k a year as an equipment operator. They seem to ski/snowmobile a lot in the winter too. Makes a 300k mortgage "affordable".

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    <snip> Night skiing + cheap housing seems like an impossible requirement to fill, am I wrong?
    Naw - it's do-able in Marquette, MI.