Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Well said Danno and Bunion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Over the yars I seen people squander chances, so for whatever reason when the chances are gone they are gone and that is right now, RE everywhere is expensive for whatever reason and i don't see it dumping 50-100% any time soon
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Del Norte, CO.

There you go.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I thought you were talking about *Rangely* and was also perplexed.

https://goo.gl/maps/WmEkPxYYu1DvjThy9
    Ha. Yes, this.

Does it have to be the USA? Moving to Canada with american dollars and you just saved 30% on everything...may I suggest the Kootenays?
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Eating peyote and wandering twenty miles in the desert?

Why ski?
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Does it have to be the USA? Moving to Canada with american dollars and you just saved 30% on everything
    "Everything" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    More seriously, most of us here are grossly underestimating the amount of luck that got us to where we are today. Not turning this into another “there is no free will” thread, but there’s an awful lot of bootstrapping going on here. I’ve worked hard and long and some of that is “paying off,” but I have no illusions that I didn’t win all kinds of lotteries.

What is the point of that point anyways? I worked hard and the next guy didn’t so therefore I deserve all of this and he doesn’t? I made the right choices so I’ve earned everything I have? Is there literally ANY other merit to taking that position? What’s so anathema about acknowledging that being able to work hard is the same kind of gift as intelligence and being born into a stable home and everything else? Why can’t we just accept it as a wonderful gift rather than hold it up as something that makes us better than the next guy? One inspires compassion. The other inspires ego. I’m getting pretty tired of the latter.
    Let me flip this on its head: what is the point of dismissing everyone here as rich and thus their opinions are worthless to you? As people who came from money and thus don't have your blue collar ethic and experience?

I find your post kind of odd, it's as if you think people were chiding IAS for not working as hard as we did, or not having earned the bounty that we've earned, when that isn't what happened. Rather, IAS dismissed everyone else (or more accurately, almost everyone else) for being rich, for not having the same blue collar background as he did, for not having worked as hard as he has. I don't think people were saying they were better than him because of what they achieved, or because of the better choices they made. People were simply pointing out that his dismissal of everyone else was unfounded, and that many people got to where they are not because of family money or a silver spoon upbringing but because of the choices they made and make. And I see a number of people recognizing that luck/privilege played a role in their success.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    As for why it's offensive, well, because it's a way of dismissing everyone and their point of view. You are correct that one could view his post and say "yeah, well, I'm one of the few", but collectively, his post was saying "you people are not like me, you are all silver spooners, and thus your opinions are fundamentally wrong when it comes to what I am asking about." You don't see how that is offensive?
    I can see how it's offensive to people who are overly-sensitive, insecure and/or immature, yes. I can also see how people would be a bit annoyed by the comment but just move on and not take it personally or not even think it's an 'attack'. So much unnecessary drama IMO. I can't even fathom debating that most of us are NOT well off on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Tough love moment here.

2-3 years ago IAS was on here bitching about the current living situation he was in and was told by several people, get the fuck outta there and move back west.

He couldn't/didn't. Well times change and that possibility is no longer within reach.
    So? Right now he's asking a simple question now, I and a lot of others here tried answering it. Who cares what he did or not do a few years ago. If you want to connect the dots between his post a few years ago and this one, without knowing the full story of what happened the past few years with him - that seems in poor taste.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Does it have to be the USA? Moving to Canada with american dollars and you just saved 30% on everything...may I suggest the Kootenays?
    we gona take away ya guns boy !

but seriously I'm pretty sure the koots has got expensive which started when the whistler folks left back in the 80's but we could ask BC mtn powderhound

hell northern BC has got expensive, nothing to buy or even rent

This thread turned into quite the dickwaving contest...

Buying a house cheaply right at the base of a great ski area in the western US is a pipe dream at this point. But there are a LOT of places still that you can live 30-60min away from pretty good skiing where homes cost less than the national median (since we never specified a price, we'll just go with that as the definition of affordable). Jobs may or may not be a challenge.

Pick a ski area that's in a somewhat remote area (ie not the Colorado I-70 corridor or SLC/Park City areas), look for small communities 30-50 miles away, and there you go. The Del Norte suggestion really isn't bad. Median home price is $250k and you're 45min away from pretty decent skiing at Wolf Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Gorham NH?
    IDK, you tell me.
    There's gotta be somewhere in NH or Maine that's nice and not too far from ok skiing.
    Or there's northern Idaho. The Silver Mountain gondola is great. No driving!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Is there a place in the USA that’s cheap to live and has good skiing

Let me flip this on its head: what is the point of dismissing everyone here as rich and thus their opinions are worthless to you? As people who came from money and thus don't have your blue collar ethic and experience?
    I didn’t see him say anybody’s opinions are worthless, but pointing out that there is less perspective than many imagine is perhaps worthwhile. In any event, I wasn’t defending what he said as much as I was pointing out that we’re turning this into a value or character judgment (and thus something to be offended over) rather than something to simply understand and accept.

I find your post kind of odd, it's as if you think people were chiding IAS for not working as hard as we did, or not having earned the bounty that we've earned, when that isn't what happened. Rather, IAS dismissed everyone else (or more accurately, almost everyone else) for being rich, for not having the same blue collar background as he did, for not having worked as hard as he has. I don't think people were saying they were better than him because of what they achieved, or because of the better choices they made. People were simply pointing out that his dismissal of everyone else was unfounded, and that many people got to where they are not because of family money or a silver spoon upbringing but because of the choices they made and make. And I see a number of people recognizing that luck/privilege played a role in their success.
    Chiding for not working as hard, or not making the same decisions, or being offended at the idea that their hard work and good decisions is not something valuable and worthy of respect, providing Weightiness to their Opinions rather than perhaps obviating their perspective. The very intimation that they didn’t RISE FROM THE ASHES is something worth retaliation. Please.

Because that’s pretty much all he said. “A $400K mortgage doesn’t sound insane to you? You probably aren’t going to fully share my perspective, then.” Or at least that’s the meaning I took. You’re the one getting offended.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    <snip> you're 45min away from the greatest ski area in Colorado.
    Fixed.

Wausau, WI. Best skiing central Wisconsin can offer. Sub 200k houses

https://www.redfin.com/WI/Wausau/153...gn=share_sheet

Edit:

Looks like people beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by motopsycha View Post
    Working in Wausau this week and will likely ski after work. Cost of living looks pretty cheap.

That being said, I wouldn’t call the skiing good and am not looking to make a move here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Not gonna live in Rifle, CO... as much as I'd love to live closer to my sister in Basalt. Not gonna live there. (They moved back to RFV after having to move back to LA for music industry reasons.). Then, right before covid, they sold their LA house, made an offer on a house in Basalt... only to lose all sources of income. So, they are living in an apartment in Willits neighborhood now. He was doorman at Cloud Nine last year. Now he teaches at Snowmass and she works at a dentist's office. They have yet to recover.

This thread reeks of someone who asked a question in the hopes that we would confirm the negative. No matter what we had said short of a straightup fairly tale, a reason would have been found to dismiss the suggestion.

Pretty similar to a fat middle aged man asking his super healthy in-shape coworker how to get in shape and be healthier, for the sole purpose of proving to himself that it will be too hard so why bother trying.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    This thread reeks of Stinky Cheese and Toe Jam

Changed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    This thread reeks of someone who asked a question in the hopes that we would confirm the negative. No matter what we had said short of a straightup fairly tale, a reason would have been found to dismiss the suggestion.

Pretty similar to a fat middle aged man asking his super healthy in-shape coworker how to get in shape and be healthier, for the sole purpose of proving to himself that it will be too hard so why bother trying.
    lol, yeah it’s all his fault the tgnars can’t own the gulf between self image and reality. 65 years ago an investment in the future vail of $10k would get you a condo and a lifetime pass. Skiings grown since then, but ski areas haven’t meaningfully for decades, and lots of people been priced out. You don’t have to give a fuck, but own your feelings. Not that team bootstrap can.

It seems all the outdoors forums I lurk on have this same question bubble up every year. The question is always where is a cheap place where I can access world-class climbing/biking/skiing/fishing/whitewater out my back door, while also having jobs that pay >$100k per year and is full of hot, single coeds? The problem with this question is that the answer doesn't exist. The people asking these questions are simply day dreaming that they are going to find the next 'hidden gem'. And all of us start daydreaming too and pull up Zillow looking for some magic, overlooked spot. These threads are always popular because it's fun to pretend that we can move from Denver/SLC/the midwest, to some undiscovered mountain town with a huge ski resort and 'live the dream'.

My take on this thread is that this is all in good fun and a way to kill time while at work. No need to get salty because some of us are dentists while others are broke (like me). Just play the game and tell him he needs to move to Wallace, ID.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    I'm at beaver mtn now. Super cool hill. Plenty of good turns all season.

375$ FULL season pass.

10$. A month planet fitness membership. Work in Logan, spend time in peaceful.logan canyon. Bear lake on summer. Prob high tip jobs in summer in bear lake.

Buy a reasonably reliable van and kit it out yourself. Easy.

There is your super low cost life in the mountains. You're welcome. I'll waive the consulting fee
    One might think this was affordable but wages in Cache Valley are pretty low. This is where I moved after college to support my wife at Utah State for her PhD.
    We rented this 3000 sqft house for $650/month, on 10 acres. It’s now mid $600k.
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...07667503_zpid/

Had a pass at the Beav for $200. Bear Lake doesn’t offer much in amenities, hence tip wages are virtually non existent. It was difficult to live there in the late 1990s on low wages.

the ship has long sailed and I think everywhere

the only reason i could get back into the RE after moving to the mtns was cuz america shit the bed in 2008

which depressed local RE by 2010

but everything has > doubled since then and its back to crazy
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-10-2022 at 04:34 PM.

Damn, so much nonsense in this thread. Everyone here isn’t rich but I’d say on average it skews middle to upper middle class… which applies to me as well. Because that’s skiing right now, which whatever, it is what it is. But I also know several maggots who don’t fit into that mold as well.

But I like the general topic as proposed and wish we could get back to it. I’m so exhausted from the rat race and once my kids are off to college hope to simplify things. Pretty sure I’m not alone here. Oh and I have a landing pad so I’m absolutely privileged with this mentality and happy to own that.

Looking for the next great spot is a time honored tradition.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Wtf is up with the Wisconsin shit.

Dude abides in the UP.
    Which is way better. But still sucks.

Fuck New England too. Way better than Midwest. But still not ideal.

Digging the Wild West ideas. I’m sure there’s someplace out there.
    If your trying to best 800 vertical feet, it ain’t that hard to do.
    . . .

Reminds me of the person who asked me at Vail one day, "where's the lift with no lines and untracked powder"?